World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The summer Whitby boat festival was won with a ling of 23lb 12oz with the biggest cod of 17lb 5oz.
1,000 anglers took part over a fortnight on some of the best equipped boats in the UK.

Not so long ago 35lb+ cod & ling were the stamp needed to win.

wildercard

·
Banned
396 Posts
no what you mean mate fished it for the last time last year not botherin again....... . should re name it whitby ling festival........very depressing :(

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fished it 4 or 5 times in the mid to late 80's where a ling of 23lb would only get best fish of the day. Seems the wrecks around Whitby have been stripped of big fish, the 23lb ling was taken from a wreck only 3 miles out.

wildercard

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 34lb halibut was caught on a boat which hadn't entered the angling festival, though the fish counts as the new record halibut caught from Whitby.

wildercard

·
Banned
396 Posts
all they do is leave the close in wrecks for a wile before the comp so they get a few ling on um to go for the prize money, further out theres f.........all left gill nets, long lines n various.........jobz nakard

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was talking to a friend today who was saying the same thing, he had just paid £65 for the 10 hour trip - never to return.

It amuses me that the fast and well equipped tupperware boats were beaten on this occassion by an old soggylogs boat fishing only 3 miles out. Oh the shame ha ha

wildercard

·
Banned
396 Posts
no what you mean mate, last year 1 boat skipper told me to keep me money and go out on the **** instead, i had a copy of sea angler in my hand at the pontoons when they came in and he said "and dont believe anything you read in there" the thing is about this guy he skippered the boat for the owner so his wage is guaranteed weather he goes out or not, so i always know ill get the truth off him....cant blame the other lads for flowerin the truth they have more borrowed on their boats than most of us do on our houses............... :(

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep,

Whitby is recognised as one of the best boat fishing ports in the UK, a scan of Sea Angler magazine has lots of skippers advertising their boats with the big selling points being speed to reach far wrecks and size of fish. Boat skippers/owners seem to put great emphasis on past performances when in reality the place is fished out.
The angling festival is proof that in 14 days over 1,000 anglers came from all over the country and could only manage cod to 17lb 5oz and ling to 23lb 12oz. The ling came from a wreck only 3 miles out.

Anglers paying £65+ each per trip should wake up and smell the coffee.

wildercard

·
Banned
396 Posts
the angling press dont help at all they just keep us mugs buying stuff and raking in the advertising revenue...............recycling old fishing reports years out of date........pretending everything is hunky dory when the reality is starkly different................instead of using their clout with more lobbying they just print the odd weak protest [usually at the start of the magazine] then carry on with dazzling reports of long gone fishing days......... :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts