World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
prior to my previous report from sun to wed last week ,
i forgot to mention that ******* seal was around againe on the last day (wed) the 3 fellas we met from Birkinhead had been fishing from low water
9.00am ish , and had landed nothing between them all day , and said they had seen the seal now and then , we got there at 3,30 pm and had a few mackeral 1st casts ! , but then nothing...... till we left at about 8.30 am , fishin with massive plump red blow lug given to us by our new northern pals

spiky:bones:

·
Registered
980 Posts
SEALS LIVE AROUND PUFFIN ISLAND
you are lucky if you only saw one . on puffin island there are dozens of them . in the staits by gallows point you regularly see 4 or 5 seals. they love the herrings and you see them with the odd flat fish .
I have seen seals with a
congar eel they strip the skin of them before eating them just like peeling a banana..
I like to see them but i know they can be a pain when they take fish of your mackeral feathers . i have even seen people hand feeding them

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
You rarely see seals where there are no fish as their lives depend on it (same with cormarants) so fish on! However these 'tame' ones are obviously a 'newish' problem. ChrisP has the theory that they are probably animals that have been hand reared from pups at an animal sanctuary. Makes sense to me! Thus they associate man with food. Hand feeding them is perpetuating the problem but hey, each to his own! We used to consider that the presence of a top predator would chase ALL the fish away. Must be said it was a good excuse for blanking perhaps! I get worried when the seal/cormorant stay for a while then rush off to somewhere else!

·
Registered
42 Posts
2 of us fished white beach 3 weeks ago & there were 2 seals there all day. We hooked loads of mackerel but landed very few, every time you hooked one the seals got it.They've got it sussed they just hang about till you hook one then nick it of the hook.They don't take doggies though, we had about 20. I tried the float close in and had 9 small pollock but they started taking them.
They wern't scaring the fish away. you just couldn't get them out.

·
Registered
980 Posts
heres what happen to me today.
went fishing in the straits today fished by the old wrecki in the bay by penmon. had a few fish,the tide was run quickly so i was fishing more in the bay, a small seal came to see me and just stayed there watching me and my boat, it was not interested in the bass i was catching .i fish with large sandeels and change them all the time this is what the seal wanted everytime i throu one back after fishing with it the seal found it and ate it behind the boat it never took any off my hooks.
so what has been said about tame seals could be true.it was so frendly it made my day never mind bass fishing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts