World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been conger fishing for a while now (but I've only ever caught 2 congers which were about 7lbs) and I wanted to catch a big conger.
I've heard that Whitehead has proper big conger eels and I want to know about where and how to catch them (where exactly are they: cast out to the horizon, in the gullies, right under your feet???) and any extra tips on conger fishing around northern Ireland and just conger eel fishing in general would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Never tried whitehead so at a guess, fish 2 rods one in close and one a bit out. 2hrs either side of low water on the 3 days after a full and new moon. Usual mackeral baits, and mackeral/ squid wraps, running ledgers with rotten bottoms or pulley rigs.if you hook a biggie have a plan ready to land it safely. Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
have to agree...have your plan in place for landing, unhooking and returning...if the bigger ones get into a spin they can tangle very handy and be hard to get released without any damage....their hardy big creatures but not invincible...i lost an easy PB last year by not having my way out planned and panicked a bit...tried to hand line it up but with only one glove on the mono started cutting the other hand so rather than keep going straight up i walked back, line rubbed rocks and gone ...all when there was a much easier way out when i looked properly..... as for whitehead, i heard the same as yourself but only ever fished off the boat into the gobbins so not to sure, would be prepped to lose gear though and the current can pull rightley even close in so bring plenty of lead with ya...let us know how you get on if you give it a go and good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have to agree...have your plan in place for landing, unhooking and returning...if the bigger ones get into a spin they can tangle very handy and be hard to get released without any damage....their hardy big creatures but not invincible...i lost an easy PB last year by not having my way out planned and panicked a bit...tried to hand line it up but with only one glove on the mono started cutting the other hand so rather than keep going straight up i walked back, line rubbed rocks and gone ...all when there was a much easier way out when i looked properly..... as for whitehead, i heard the same as yourself but only ever fished off the boat into the gobbins so not to sure, would be prepped to lose gear though and the current can pull rightley even close in so bring plenty of lead with ya...let us know how you get on if you give it a go and good luck
Right thanks. I'll definitely try it out... I know landing congers is hard, and probably very hard when trying to land a big one... I think I'll do a bit more planning about how I'm gonna land it.
Cheers for the advice!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never tried whitehead so at a guess, fish 2 rods one in close and one a bit out. 2hrs either side of low water on the 3 days after a full and new moon. Usual mackeral baits, and mackeral/ squid wraps, running ledgers with rotten bottoms or pulley rigs.if you hook a biggie have a plan ready to land it safely. Good luck
I think that's exactly what I'm gonna do: one rod far out, one rod close in.
I'll probably use mackerel baits on a up & over rig to give me some distance but still a running ledger type presentation.
Thanks for the advice, and I feel I'm gonna need that luck 🍀

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I went to Whitehead, I arrived at about 2 o'clock-ish fished until sunset (17:00).

I fished one rod with a simple running leger rig with a mackerel head & guts, further out: and the other rod, fished close in, was a bit of a disaster with snags and lost rigs etc.

I caught no conger eels, but I did get a hit... I had about a few clicks of drag on the reel and a nice bend in the rod tip... And then nothing... Or just stopped... So after a few seconds of no movement at all I pick up the rod and strike and no fish, so I quickly set the rod down and spend the day hoping that the fish would come back.

Luckily I had my crab trap baited with mackerel, and did catch 6 beautiful Gold Sinny Wrasse and 2 Shore Rockling (one was pretty big, but I didn't feel like eating Rockling today)
I'm not sure if I'll be fishing Whitehead for congers any soon, wayyy too many snags and bait robbers, I think I'll be sticking to Bangor and I'll be trying Portmuck further offshore on my little boat for some congers.

Cheers for the advice guys, tight lines!

·
Registered
21 Posts
at least you got out and gave it a go...im sure it wasnt the easiest of conditions and if nothing else you gained some info on the spot...better luck next time

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Portavogie harbour used to have a good head of Congers many moons ago also at the back of Donaghadee harbour unless they have changed a lot.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Hmmmm, distance is not needed for Congers proper rod an reel capable of casting half a Pollock out for bait and heavy line, me an the lads use 50lb mainline, an 100lb traces.

I use Abu 10000 multipliers an Jonny uses Penn 535s couple to a Tournament style 2 piece beachcaster.

The line weight may sound excessive but your fishing rough dirty ground an abrasion resistance is more important than distance, concentrate on just the one rod for Congers.

Now as I say me an Jonny don't fish harbours that often, we fish the roughest deepest ground we can for Congers.

One more thing, Congers are mainly " night time" predators so fishing during the day ? your not giving yourself the best chance, fish the night.

Mark...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm, distance is not needed for Congers proper rod an reel capable of casting half a Pollock out for bait and heavy line, me an the lads use 50lb mainline, an 100lb traces.

I use Abu 10000 multipliers an Jonny uses Penn 535s couple to a Tournament style 2 piece beachcaster.

The line weight may sound excessive but your fishing rough dirty ground an abrasion resistance is more important than distance, concentrate on just the one rod for Congers.

Now as I say me an Jonny don't fish harbours that often, we fish the roughest deepest ground we can for Congers.

One more thing, Congers are mainly " night time" predators so fishing during the day ? your not giving yourself the best chance, fish the night.

Mark...
I agree, I use a multiplier reel with 100lb braid then about 2 metres of 60lb mono and 150lb trace with 6/0 hooks.
I'd usually fish at night if it's not too cold. I usually use Mackerel head & guts from summer but I'm starting to run out of mackerel heads... Is Pollack a good bait and how do you prepare it for conger eels???
Thanks for the advice Fedstar!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Pollock an Pouting.
Remove the head, remove most of the tail section, this leaves you with the stomach and part of the back bone. Get some bait elastic an whip around the parcel to hold the guts in. Place a 8/0 to 12/0 through the back bone an your ready to go.

Now do you not fish when it's cold because you get cold, or do you know about the first frost's of Winter putting Congers off the feed GF lol

Just to be safe like, Congers will take Squid, Coalys, Ling an one of my biggest Congers took 3 sandeels which were intended for Pollock.

Another fine fellow once told me, when he handlines for Congers he looks for 3 large or small gullies that run into a central point, ye just never can know enough GF.

Fed...;)

Reactions: Conger37
1 - 14 of 14 Posts