World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Low 13:00 high 18:45. Fished 15:30 to 18:30.

When I got there only one other out that I could see. Bit windy but dry. Did get cold towards the end.

Fished two rods. One pennel as live bait half 1/2 lug bottom hook cast pretty far. Other rod two hook flapper mixture of squid and lug. The livebait rod had no big knocks but when I packed up it did have a little whiting very nicely hooked on lower hook. Flapper rod had various flatties, whiting and rockling. It wasn't constant though and were some lengthy quiet periods. Only one double hook up on the flapper. As per last time I was out I was using sand spikes and even though rod tips were high I still caught flatties.

Was nice to get out again as not been fishing for a few weeks. Think I'll try and plan next trip as evening trip with two rods both as livebait as heard still nice cod being caught locally on livebait.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Sounds like a nice mixed session, thanks for the report.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I'm very much a beginner but I'd always read that for flatties keep rod tip low to keep baits as low to bottom. Some put small weights near hooks to pin baits on bottom I think

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Hi Colin.............it changes the angle and might raise the second (and 3rd hook if you use it) too high. I always start with the rod low to get one nailed on the deck and another one 'washing' about just off the bottom. I favour 3 hooks because I then get one just off the bottom as well. Dabs will come up as will smaller rays. Lift the rod in 5 degrees over casts and find where they are feeding best. Water clarity does alter things as well. On a species hunt a 3 hooker fished at about 45 gives you more feeding species to aim at....thinking of a certain meet a week Sunday.
Cheers
Stevo T

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok - I can see what you are saying, I have been surprised the amount of times I have caught flatties on the top hook as opposed to the lower hook, I even have caught plaice on baited mackerel feathers! It is very nice to have the opportunity to hear other anglers views - I have never disagreed with a post on WSF and yesterday I pressed the wrong button - my apologies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.