World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...I've been told the best kept secret in lure fishing in Dorset is about to be publicised elsewhere...so I thought you guys and gals should know first.....

2014 looks set to be Dorset's FIRST bumper year for Bonefish !?!?

Over the years there have been the odd unconfirmed reports of singles to trios of an 'unidentified powerful looking species' patrolling the shallows in Portland Harbour especially over low water springs.
Last year, finally,a visiting SWFFer, chasing mullet... botched his cast, and dropping short, he suddenly had his fly taken by something that went off like an express train across the shallows.......5 mins later ..he'd netted a 2lb 'stranger to Dorset waters' (later identified as a 'Boner' from detailed pics taken before release)

With all concerned sworn to secrecy it was hoped that this would be a 'one off' as there was a great fear for the Dorset mullet & bass populations, and that bass lure prices would plummet, should Weymouth be suddenly thrown into the spotlight as the UK's 'Bonefish capital' in waiting.

However, the mild winter and prevailing sea temperatures look to have put paid to these best laid plans ..
It is clear from the past few days..and the pic attached... that the low water flats in Portland Harbour are now the residence of a thriving Bonefish nursery, and so this year these waters look set to be completely devoid of any bass or mullet as the Bonefish elbow em out !?!?

(... look carefully in the pic below and you can see the em.............. !?!?.

Bonefish country 2014.jpg

You can't see em???

Then try here ---> :fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

:doh::laugh::spiteful::bye2:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Kerdiff,

I got my magnifying glass out and could see the tarpon rising in the first entrance as well - I wonder who is going to be the first one to catch? (Or be caught - ha!).

ATB

Kes.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Few years back seen a smaller predatory shark with Martin with the teeth down Devon, few yards out, and a larger Brown fin down near Falmouth it wasn't a basking shark either

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm half expecting a tuna this year....
Matt,
Last year...........
Big Marlin up as far as Blue Anchor (dead ones at least!?!?)
Bluefins off the Portland breakwaters...........
Unidentified tuna spotted smashing the mackerel off western end of Chesil........
A shoal of Barracuda spotted in Falmouth Bay
Various individual 'tropicals' caught and reported off the rocks around Cornwall..
A 'striper' caught off Dover ????
etc..etc...
..with another good summer...anything is possible...... !!?!?!

.....but not 'Bonefish in Portland Harbour' .....haha!?!?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts