World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to oxwich today for around low water, walked across to where there used to be stream until it dried up lol. Tried with a bass fly for a bit then saw some movement in the shallows quick change to mullet leader and flies soon had one on all of 8 inches long! Loads of even smaller ones there but none of any size. Still I had one on a romeys red tag on the dropper. Onwards and upwards!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I noticed last week that The lakes at oxwich nature reserve have dropped because of the lack of rain over last few weeks! So probably the stream has dried up!
Loads of small fish shoals down there,cant get at anything decent due to the small stuff at the mo! Even in darkness

·
Premium Member
10,598 Posts
Well done @backtobasics. Size doesn't matter a GG on a fly is a good achievement. As others have mentioned a red tag does seam to attract their interest.
I predict a thread on the virtues of fly fishing for this species. (y) :unsure:😁

·
Registered
954 Posts
Well done, great achievement. I finished reading Mullet On The Fly by Colin Macleod at the weekend. A very good read. @Ade N is mentioned a few times in it. I have tied up some ghostbusters and flexi worms for my next Gower visit. I have caught mackerel, garfish, bass and a turbot on a fly, but mullet are still on the to do list.

Also in the book which will be of interest to @Notso is that Colin has caught a thornback ray on a fly. That's your challenge for next year Notso.

·
Premium Member
10,598 Posts
Also in the book which will be of interest to @Notso is that Colin has caught a thornback ray on a fly. That's your challenge for next year Notso.
Can you do me a favour please Gareth. ?
Is there anyway you can send me the text ( by pm ... not to clog this thread ) from Colins book that refers to this capture.
I do like a challenge.....
Still adhering to the last one you set me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well done, great achievement. I finished reading Mullet On The Fly by Colin Macleod at the weekend. A very good read. @Ade N is mentioned a few times in it. I have tied up some ghostbusters and flexi worms for my next Gower visit. I have caught mackerel, garfish, bass and a turbot on a fly, but mullet are still on the to do list.

If i can be of any help in your quest, feel free to PM me :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts