World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
This too may seem like a stupid answer, but really, the answer is quite obvious. Most people are right handed :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
This too may seem like a stupid answer, but really, the answer is quite obvious. Most people are right handed :thumbs:
martin, you psycho! then why do fixed-spool reels have the handle on the left for right-handers? it is a potch to get used to a multi after using fixed-spools all your life, cos the handle is on the wrong side, without a doubt. i think your "strong" hand needs to be holding the rod, not on a farty little winder!

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
martin, you psycho! then why do fixed-spool reels have the handle on the left for right-handers? it is a potch to get used to a multi after using fixed-spools all your life, cos the handle is on the wrong side, without a doubt. i think your "strong" hand needs to be holding the rod, not on a farty little winder!
Most fixed spools are ambidextrous m8, and are easy to make that way. If making multis ambidextrous was not an engineering difficulty, I dare say we'd see more of them.

·
Banned
10,968 Posts
Im right handed, but find winding the reel with my left hand as natural as scrating my backside, I've allways wondered why the multipliers are the other way round too !

I would invest in a multilier if I could find a left hand wind one.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Left handed mutipliers are available. Some boat multipliers are ambidextrous, a few minutes with a spanner converts them from RH to LH. ;)

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Is it because this leaves the right arm free to take the weight of the rod and, hopefully, big fish

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Im right handed, but find winding the reel with my left hand as natural as scrating my backside, I've allways wondered why the multipliers are the other way round too !

I would invest in a multilier if I could find a left hand wind one.
And I find reeling in with my multi as natural as scratching my bo**ocks:bleh:

Honestly there is some crap talked on here about reeling in with a multi vs a fixed spool. I use a multi for all my beachcasting and it is as natural as anything for me. I also use a fixed spool for spinning and close range flattie work with no issues.

I've pulled in high single figure smoothound and 30lb plus balls of weed with my multiplier and I didn't need my "strong" right arm holding the rod to manage this. I've also reeled up double figure cod off the boat just the same...

Multipliers are designed to be reeled in on top of the rod with the right hand. Fixed spools are designed to be reeled in below the rod with the left hand. That is the way it is.

Sorry... Rant over :bangin::whistling

G

·
It has nothing to do with whether you are left or right handed.
Most people will start fishing with a fixed spool with the handle on the left hand side of the reel.
When they feel ready to progress to a multiplier, the reel is on top of the rod and as such the handle is on the right of the reel.
I know of left and right handed anglers that have gone through this process and the only physical difference is whether they cast over their right or left shoulder.

The very fact that popular reels such as the 525's, 7HT's and Sloshes are only made 'right hand wind' suggests that the demand for left hand wind models is tiny and not cost effective.
The price of left hand wind models is often slightly above the right hand retreive version of the same model and this adds further evidence to the argument.

I would advice anyone looking to start using a beach multiplier to purchase one with the handle on the right hand side of the reel.
It will feel alien, as you have been using a fixed spool and will take a little while to get used to, but after a little while it will become second nature and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Sits back and awaits gunfire...

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
It has nothing to do with whether you are left or right handed.
Most people will start fishing with a fixed spool with the handle on the left hand side of the reel.
When they feel ready to progress to a multiplier, the reel is on top of the rod and as such the handle is on the right of the reel.
I know of left and right handed anglers that have gone through this process and the only physical difference is whether they cast over their right or left shoulder.

The very fact that popular reels such as the 525's, 7HT's and Sloshes are only made 'right hand wind' suggests that the demand for left hand wind models is tiny and not cost effective.
The price of left hand wind models is often slightly above the right hand retreive version of the same model and this adds further evidence to the argument.

I would advice anyone looking to start using a beach multiplier to purchase one with the handle on the right hand side of the reel.
It will feel alien, as you have been using a fixed spool and will take a little while to get used to, but after a little while it will become second nature and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Sits back and awaits gunfire...
I think I might be drawing alot of it away from you mate:black_eye

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
hehehe somtimes these inane threads crack me up!
keep up the rambling peaple:clap:

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Inane or insane mate:roll1::roll1:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Back to the original question..........
Why are multipliers right hand wind?

Go back in history to when the only reel you could get was a centre pin.
These were left hand wind (for right handed anglers), hanging below the rod, which was held in your right hand.
When build & material quality increased enough to allow casting direct from the reel, someone decided that if you turned the rod upside down, you could control the spool with your (right) thumb.
Only trouble there is, the reel is now right hand wind, which has stuck through tradition/laziness from manufacturers.
Most right handed anglers have only evere used right hand wind multipliers, so they think that's the way it should be.
Wrong.
If you're right handed, the logical way to go is to hold the rod in your right hand, control the spool with your right thumb, then so you don't have to change hands and get all cack handed with every retrieve, wind the reel with your left.
Of course, logic doesn't always win.
"Left hand wind" does not equal "left handed" :bangin:

Then again, what do I care, use what reel you want.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If manufacturers produced a left hand wind CT beach reel who would use it? Being left handed myself I would not,if all right handed anglers could see the logic in using it there would only be a few lefty's like me using the RHW. Back in the good old days I started freshwater fishing using a Mitchell 300 a non ambidextrous fixed spool meaning I had to hold the rod with my right hand,when I moved over to sea angling the Abu 6000c felt correct for me.

Considering all the factors involved I think it highly unlikely that this will ever happen.

·
Registered
342 Posts
ok guys, pretty much everything has been said above but here`s my take on it.
When using a multi on the beach I use a standard right hand wind, but when spinning either on the river or from shore for pollack etc I use a lefty.
If you`re cast/retrieving all day over your right shoulder, you`ll quickly get P`d off switching the rod over every cast. The abu garcia lefty range are predominantly bait casters, not strictly intended for the beach, to further back this up, to my knowledge they have never produced a lefty ct caged reel.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Anything to do with baitcasters being an american invention? They put everything on the 'wrong' side dont they?

I used fixed spools as a kid for sea and coarse fishing but never had any problems converting to multipliers, I soon got used to them, in fact hardly noticed that handle was on the other side.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Anything to do with baitcasters being an american invention? They put everything on the 'wrong' side dont they?

I used fixed spools as a kid for sea and coarse fishing but never had any problems converting to multipliers, I soon got used to them, in fact hardly noticed that handle was on the other side.
Exactly Treeman
I think most guys find the transition fairly painless but some guys really have a problem with right hand wind, one chap I know describes it as fishing with boxing gloves on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts