World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive perhaps dumb question, but going from a lot of forum posts I've read lately, it would seem that an easterly wind is best avoided. I can understand northerly, as we're on the north coast of Kent (at least I am), and it's no fun with the wind right at your face, but why is an easterly bad news?

Cheers in advance from those in the know!:unsure:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Forgive perhaps dumb question, but going from a lot of forum posts I've read lately, it would seem that an easterly wind is best avoided. I can understand northerly, as we're on the north coast of Kent (at least I am), and it's no fun with the wind right at your face, but why is an easterly bad news?

dont think its just the north coast of kent that suffers from an easterly wind, fishing tend to be crap all along the south coast, even some of the large lakes that i go coarse fishing at dont fish anywhere near as good in an east wind.
my preferd wind direction would be from the south west, both for fresh water and see water,
I think there is so much truth behind that old saying( when the winds in the west the fish bite the best, when the winds in the east the fish bite the least!)
As for why i dont have a clue, maybe to do with air presures that come with it, im just guessing that so dont quote me on it.
I was planning a sesh for tomorrow but put the hold on it after seeing easterly forcast, i might still get out but wont hold out to much hope!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

The old saying does not make sense. I agree that in my experience, both game fishing and sea it has always been that way, but having just spent two months in the south of France, the opposite applies; when the wind is from the West the fish take the less, or so the saying goes.

Given that the wind goes from a high pressure area to a low pressure area; from geography lessons 35 years ago, so I may be wrong here, so a high in the east should have a corresponding low in the west. Does low pressure drive fish out to sea. Not in the mediterranean apparently. Just as an afterthought, do you realise how hard it is to spell meditteranean when you are half-cut?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i don't really know why but in most of kent the fishing goes completely dead. if i didn't have a match on i wouldn't even bother fishing this weekend.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wish I'd know this before going Friday and Saturday in the Estuary . Totally dead. Had a small codling first cast, both days and then dead for the next few hours. Not pleasant fishing conditions at all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have yet to have a good session on an easterly. All the old wives tales come true for sure.

I cant even catch DOGGIES in an easterly.

I went out SWFF from my YAK on Monday and there was an easterly blowing. It was good practice though and I tried a few techniques to zing the fly out from the yak without getting wet!! so not everything was lost.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do you reckon this only applies to true easterlies? We have NE winds predicted for this weekend, and was wondering if I might get a repeat of last weekend...

G

·
Perhaps, but it does sound rather random. Good luck. Going to go out tonight, but a Westerly is predicted. If I don't post tomorrow, I didn't catch!
So where are you thinking of going tonight?

Manston is currently showing wnw 10mph.

Malcolm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts