World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
north cornwall actually steve, just south of bude. one of my local beaches although only fished it a couple of times. unfortunately easter onwards it gets busy with tourists and surfers. i've found the rocky area to the left or the small rock gullys to the right fish best. mainly a bass beach but can produce skate later in the summer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

Only ever fished once and blanked although supposed to fish well for Bass, supposidly the left hand side of the beach.
May give it a go later in the year for an evening as parents live locally. Have you ever fished Millock? Wondered about to the right of the river mouth.

·
Registered
343 Posts
never caught at millook, rocks to the right of the beach are good to spin from and direct off the beach at low tide is supposed to be good onto sand ... something about a sandeel nursery or something??

·
Registered
343 Posts
hi steve, what we call skate locally, i think they are small eye rays?? have caught on local beaches, never kept though so cant fully id them, largest being about 18-20" across the wings!! dont know if thats any good ... these usually arrive later in the summer at night across the warm sand. they only touch sandeels

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well late in the summer is that june ect and do you just fish the beach i may fish the beach soon so wind direction ect is a great help m8

·
Registered
343 Posts
youre looking more july/august for the skate but the bass are around .. off the beach are usually smaller, only had up to 4lb in the surf, bigger from the rock gullys or all rock/boulder beaches. the wind is calmer from now till sep/oct usually from s.west although we have had unusually long periods of east/n.easterlies this year which makes it too flat .. need a bit of surf (without surfers)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
i was talking to a bloke tonight who knows someone who was talking to a bloke who landed a 14 lb bass last week ! , will be up there my self soon , :cool:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
i have asked the same questions myself but they remain unanswerd . i think there was an onshore wind at the time i was first told about it , as to the tide & time of day your guess is as good as mine , if i find out more watch this space . as for millook , have had a couple of v small huss but am told is good on farrrrrr right of river for bass , wrasse, codling in winter, end of last summer 2 seals pushed mackeral right onto beach.

·
Registered
343 Posts
james, i would say your looking for on onshore to put a bit of surf on and most likely at low on a spring tide. steve as for bait i know some locals are catching on lug at the moment just south around boscastle area, from the surf i would say sandeel, peeler or gobies on the rocks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I am heading down south near to Culdrose next week but may make it up to widmouth the weekend after the bank holiday. Dependant on tides & winds of course.

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
any one been around widemouth area last couple o days ? , thinking about having a look tomorrow, wonderd what state the sea is in .

·
Registered
68 Posts
okay fished widmouth two weeks ago only small bass and ray, got a call off my mate from killhampton and he took me to sandymouth bay the other side of bude, well guys this was new to me but we had seven small-eyed ray and three bass the biggest bass was 3lb which went back and the biggest small-eyed was about 9lb or just under, the bait we used was frozzen sand eel lugg and fresh mackrell from the fish monger[ dont like using frozzen ] fresh lets you belt it out over the surf and stays in one peice, off there again on saterday for a session, apparently you can catch them with the tide either way and it dosent have to be a big one, we fished a night just so you know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts