World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
17th anniversary yesterday so took the boss out for the day,drove down past widemouth bay at low water ,wow ,that looks a serious spot,have been told about smoothies from there just wondered if any truth in it,deffo going to fish it this summer,

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
don't know about Smoothies m8, but i do a lot of bass fishing there, left h/s next to the rock gulleys or the right h/s in the rocks. ( on the main beach to the right, never fished the left beach), but theres a lot of walking to chase the tide, and it comes in pretty fast coz its so shallow.
Millook to the left of Widemouth, down the lane by the Manor Pub is supposed to be good for lots of things, Smoothies, Huss etc, always fished to the right, but you get cut off at high tide so avoid the big tides as theres no escape route.
Will be trying my luck at Widemouth or Trebarwith this week.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Millook is a pretty good mark for me,bass and the occasional smoothie on crab on medium tides.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Millook is very very rocky fished there last year and used pebbles as weights!!!

Expect to loose a lot of gear

·
Registered
372 Posts
Never seen a smoothhound from Millook but good for smallish huss , big dogs , bloody huge rockling , small Pollock and occasional bass , but quite rare.
Used to get codling and coalfish but they don't show now.
Very rocky but use pulley rig , lift and reel like hell and its OK.
Most trips I don't loose gear now Iv,e got the hang of it.
Please bare in mind its a private beach with a very nice owner so don't block the road or leave litter.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I remember when mum and dad looked at buying the little wooden shed/bungallow/shack, I'm sure the beach came with it then lol, it must have been 17 yrs ago

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I only fish it at the end of May with big peeler (edible or velvet from the Goweron 5/0 pennels) not blanked yet but I've only caught bass or starry smoothies!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never seen a smoothhound from Millook but good for smallish huss , big dogs , bloody huge rockling , small Pollock and occasional bass , but quite rare.
Used to get codling and coalfish but they don't show now.
Very rocky but use pulley rig , lift and reel like hell and its OK.
Most trips I don't loose gear now Iv,e got the hang of it.
Please bare in mind its a private beach with a very nice owner so don't block the road or leave litter.
you could try the end of the point on the left for trigger fish in july, i have not caught any from the shore but get them in my pots, 30yards if that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Looks like its about time I tried a few different tides and methods.Get stuck in my ways after a while!Cheers Mantis will have a go this summer.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
A few of my club mates fish up there in august time and get a quite smoothies as well as small eyes
have been told this also applies up to welcombe mouth including sandy & northcott mouth,me thinks this stretch of the coast is going to be rather busy this year :g: , see you all there, do i feel C / D meet 5 in the makeing :idea:

·
Registered
372 Posts
My father in law fished Crackington and never kept a bass unless it was double figures.He very often brought home two or three of an evening.
This was 40 years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts