World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first proper season of lure fishing for bass, and I have much to learn.
Through September I fished my local south Devon estuary many times and landed several decent bass on soft plastics like the Savage Gear V2 sandeel.
However, I have now had 5 consecutive blanks in October, the last fish being on October 1st.
I am naturally wondering if the bass have now left the estuary for the open sea or whether they are still about but feeding differently.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Iv found in a much smaller estuary they don't all leave as such but many will, and many ,often smaller fish, will stay in the deep channels but not be up for chasing a lure as much.. although using bait at night after there has been sunlight on exposed ground during low tide in the day, thus heating the mud up a bit, can produce fish even in mid winter which says to me some ain't that far away a lot of the time just less active and willing to chase a lure probably due to them grubbing for worms crab and shrimp more than shoals of little stuff or mackerel

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
No . Last year local estuary produced a fish estimated at 20lb dead of winter to a conger bait.
Depends on the estuary
Wow, what a fish, that must have been heart warming.

There is hope for another double, guess anything is possible these days.

·
Joined 2009
15,392 Posts
Wow, what a fish, that must have been heart warming.

There is hope for another double, guess anything is possible these days.
came on a whole cuttle bait. The tamar has the biggest bass going IMO. Nearly every double seems to come to a conger bait. There’s always a few very big fish each winter . I think Plaice Hunter had an early season 80cm on a lure this year

·
Registered
656 Posts
Don't give up mate.

Although not in estuaries, I have blanked on my last seven or eight sessions. Then today I caught five.

Just keep going at it. Move around the spots where you fish, rotate through your different lures, try different times of tide and times of day/night.

They will eventually come!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
some are still swimming there , some leave and others will stay throu the year ...
here over , they are leaving too , water temp is decreasing (going under 13°)
no more crabs & shrimps in the poles ...
i konw it's over for me on 1 november BUT it coincides with my winter season on the river so i'm not fishless

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Firstly, thank you to everyone for your responses and encouragement.
I had noticed earlier in the week that seagulls were feeding on bait fish at various points along the beach and in the river. Today, when I arrived to fish in the estuary, the river was alive with birds, fleeing bait fish, and school bass breaking the surface. The frenzy lasted a couple of hours until dark as shoal after shoal of bait fish, being attacked from below and above, came down the river.
I joined the frenzy with a Westin Salty metal lure and ended up with 57 school bass. I was joined by a more experienced angler who had even more schoolies plus one better fish well into the 40s.
Great fun, after too many blanks.
So thanks again especially to Pecheur Anglais: you were dead right!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
came on a whole cuttle bait. The tamar has the biggest bass going IMO. Nearly every double seems to come to a conger bait. There’s always a few very big fish each winter . I think Plaice Hunter had an early season 80cm on a lure this year
Yes I did and some other good fish in May. I think there are schoolies in the Tamar all winter, together with some big fish which may not spawn every year. But when the temperature drops into single figures they are much more reluctant to chase a lure. Before salmon netting was stopped they used to catch monster bass well upstream, and Matt is right decent ones do turn up through the winter on bait. Last winter I had a five-pounder on a 10-inch live whiting while fishing for cod. PH

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If you're lucky you will still have a couple of months left yet. We are lucky down south. October through to december can be more productive than the Summer.

·
Joined 2009
15,392 Posts
Yes I did and some other good fish in May. I think there are schoolies in the Tamar all winter, together with some big fish which may not spawn every year. But when the temperature drops into single figures they are much more reluctant to chase a lure. Before salmon netting was stopped they used to catch monster bass well upstream, and Matt is right decent ones do turn up through the winter on bait. Last winter I had a five-pounder on a 10-inch live whiting while fishing for cod. PH
knew it was u PH. You must come out on this boat I use . More than welcome I could no doubt learn a lot on safe anchoring etc

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
knew it was u PH. You must come out on this boat I use . More than welcome I could no doubt learn a lot on safe anchoring etc
Love to, Mat! I've been ill for a week but am hoping to get back in action soon. Shame to miss a week of very settled weather and forecast looks pretty rough from Monday onwards. Aim to carry on bass luring through the winter until it becomes too unproductive and then reluctantly turn to dirty bait till next spring. Water temperature is holding up well at present. PH

·
Joined 2009
15,392 Posts
Love to, Mat! I've been ill for a week but am hoping to get back in action soon. Shame to miss a week of very settled weather and forecast looks pretty rough from Monday onwards. Aim to carry on bass luring through the winter until it becomes too unproductive and then reluctantly turn to dirty bait till next spring. Water temperature is holding up well at present. PH
this week looks awfulPH soon as it settles Ile give u a shout

·
Registered
14,737 Posts
As for the Burry Inlet / Lougher estuary( south Wales) as it's a nursery area the bass are still around , I bait fished a local surf beach on Friday and my mate had one just over 3 lbs as we walked off the beach at HW bumped into a chap heading down with his lure gear and he seemed confident of catching something .

·
Registered
77 Posts
My Solent estuary has only just to come to life. Also had my best session this time last year with 5 40/50s in a couple of hours.

Last Sunday in two seasons on it I finally saw birds working and a decent amount of bait fish being hit from below. That was 150m out on the ebb but managed this 55 off the surface around 4pm after a hard fight...

Need a better measure!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
on our coast (Belgium-Netherland) , the estuaries are slowly emptying of their inhabitants, the water cools, the bass give way to the incoming whiting.
winter is at our door !

but , some rivers keep a higher temperature due to industrialization (central ,wastewater discharges , etc.) and can therefore shelter bass all year round :there is a place in the europort known to have bass all year round (of course there was poaching and now the area is banned ...these guys are not anglers !)

the gulf stream which still arrives on the southern parts of the continent and the islands can favor the presence of the bass on these zones (one sees well that the catch of big fish continues on the north of Spain, Portugal and the French Basque zone, is it the same for the south of ireland ?

YOU are the inshore fishermen, you have a much better explanation than me : share your experience

·
Registered
315 Posts
They are certainly still in the Blackwater in Essex , not in the numbers as a month ago but 3 outings this week have all produced 4 or 5 fish mostly in the low 40s. Have decided to keep going until I get back to back blanks , will be out again tomorrow .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts