World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know our coastline has taken an unprecedented battering this winter. Beaches near here have been transformed with huge amounts of sand washed out/moved. I wonder how this might affect our fishing in the coming season with the habitats for worms sandeels etc being altered at least in the short-time. Maybe it will all settle down eventually but alter the best spots for fishing. Any views?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reckon it could be blessing in disguise,the commercial boats won't be able to net everything that moves ,surely that's good whilst fish are breeding 👍

·
Registered
233 Posts
it has certainly wrecked some of the venues I fish but I will be looking at marks where I don't fish in the hope of finding a decent spot.
best to have a look on the bigger tides.

·
Registered
25,004 Posts
Reckon it could be blessing in disguise,the commercial boats won't be able to net everything that moves ,surely that's good whilst fish are breeding ��
The pollack have had a hammering when the boats have got out recently,large pollack down to £1.50 per kg,though medium mackeral got £6.50 per kg apparently.The rough weather probably hasnt done the spawning any good at all,be like chucking half a dozen eggs in the washing machine.I guess we will have to wait and see how the fishing goes,the water here at least is very coloured,good for netting and bait angling,not so good for lure angling.I think there will be alot of new snags on venues that werent snaggy before,lots of lost pots washing around which isnt good news for anyone.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My twopennyworth: a lot of my regular spots have changed out of all recognition, with huge weedbeds (where I like to fish lures in the early season) completely destroyed; and new gullies appearing on some of my beach-fishing places, and lots of new snags. But change, to my mind, just means change. The fish will feed in different areas.
On the plus side, the southerly direction of the winds and the lack of a big freeze (so far, touch wood) should give us warmer water earlier in the season. I hear tell of giltheads in late January, and the bass in Mount's Bay are behaving as if it were November.
I do not believe (though I have no science to back this up) that rough weather will kill off worms, crabs, baitfish, etc. After all, we have a few vicious storms every year. I reckon 2014 will be a ripper year -- mostly because it looks as if my work will have me away for so much of the summer, and the fishing almost always is great when I am stuck in some thrice-blasted airport hotel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts