World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi anyone in north wales /shropshire or mid wales area have the wilson 23/24 i want to have a look at both,im looking to buy one but need to see if there is much difference in them,other than a foot longer and a foot extra beam,

T

·
0 Posts
Ed2sdad

I can't comment about the boat, but there is a HUGE difference (tardis like) in both sea keeping and space if the boat is one foot longer and one foot wider.

T

·
0 Posts
Sorry Ed2sdad

It wasn't a very helpful remark about the boat itself, my comment was more to do with any boat in that size bracket. If the dimensions are different by 1 foot both ways then the boat will feel hugely bigger at 24' than 23'

Tom

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Ed2sdad

I can't comment about the boat, but there is a HUGE difference (tardis like) in both sea keeping and space if the boat is one foot longer and one foot wider.
Too right tombettle
24x8ft=192ft2
23x7ft= 161ft2

Dif = 31square feet - that an enormous plus assuming that the beam widths I've used are in the right field

T

·
0 Posts
Keith

It goes further than that.
Not only will the boat simply have more square footage, but the boat will feel and handle in a very different way. The 24 foot version will be starting to feel like a big boat and will begin to react differently in varying sea conditions.

Tom

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Tom
Is that all good news or is there a down side to being bigger, apart from costs?

T

·
0 Posts
Hi Keith

Let's just look at it in perspective.

Both boats are beginning to get too large to trailer anyway so they will be water bound.

Hourly running costs, maintenance and moorings will be a little bit more, but in the grand scheme of things "very" little more.
The bigger boat will be a little less agile (assuming the same style of drive system and similar power to weight ratios), but that will be compensated by the more sure footedness whilst at speed on the water.

The only real downside I can see, and this is a fairly big one, based on an assumption (rather than knowledge) of the boat.
The Flyer made a great 17 foot starter boat. Easy to launch, rag around and bang back on it's trailer. The 23 should in theory simply be a much bigger and more stable version. This would assume that the dimensions have been stretched relative to the 17 footer (ie: whatever % the extra 6 feet in length gave was then applied to the beam).

Now the smaller Flyers are known for slamming. If the 24 is truly one foot wider than the 23 then that is a massive growth in beam compared to the growth in length. I can only see that his extra and non relative growth in beam is giong to enhance the slamming problem by a considerable margin.
In addition, this extra beam, "may" make the boat begin to exhibit some awkward handling characteristics at lower speeds (acting a bit like a hover craft in turns and carrying on sideways etc...).

Just some thoughts, although I'd love to know the real facts rather than my guesses so anyone who has had both please jump in...

T

·
0 Posts
The ones that I have known seem to have more than their fair share of problems, mainly with the out drives, possibily due to the slamming?
It's more likely due to the neglect and hard use they get than the slamming.
The slamming effects everything at the front of the boat. The bit at the back (outdrive) hardly moves at all.
This is one of the reasons that a helm, position right at the front is not a great idea. This is the area that gets bounced around the most.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The 24 certainly looks much more of purposeful boat than the 23, lots of room in a nice deep cockpit, the 23's cockpit looks pretty shallow and would need decent handrails.
I have no experiance of them whatsoever, other than looking at the brochure.

In B & O just now there is Flyer 24 up for sale without the engine, think it was a Volvo 150 outdrive that was in it, the question is why would somebody remove the engine from a boat that looks like it's pretty good condition, unless they thought the engine and drive was worthy of somthing better.
Curious!!
Rgds TB

·
Registered
642 Posts
Maybe they wanted a newer/more expensive boat but could not afford an engine to go in it?

You are looking (I think??) at around the £8k mark for a 150 HP inboard engine, maybe a lot more than that!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have spoke to the man who makes the wilson flyers,was a bit dissapointed he just said that the main difference was that the 24 could take half a tonne of fuel,didnt seem to want to talk about the boats at all,shame he wasnt as enthusiastic as some of the boat dealers on here,left me thinking about aftersales etc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello.
We're having our 24' wilson built at the moment and went down a few times to the workshop(in Havant near portsmouth) to see the differences and ask some questions.
The owner john wilson doesn't get involved with the building he leaves it to a couple of other men who are far more informative ,helpful , knowledgable(and polite!) about these boats.Mr wilson himself is not shall i say a people person!
Having owned a few smaller wilsons in the past which have always been good boats we decided to go for a larger 23' as we managed to purchase 2 excellent bmw diesel engines(190hp,1 for spares) and volvo duo prop for a good price.When we went to the workshop , spoke to the builder and saw the 24' we were hooked(excuse the pun).
Physically it is a world apart from the 23' and looks huge in all areas Especially beam and transome) compared to the 23'.the hull is thicker and to reduce slamming the centre keel has been moved forward without they claim to much difference to the planing ability.
It is a nightmare trying to get info on these and have only taken bits of info from various people places,and if you get a brochure there is a review from a magazine which is very positive.Having never been in one or know someone with one its a slight gamble but having seen it ,owned smaller wilsons plus the few reports we've received plus the value for money we feel we're onto a sure fire winner and we're not gamblers.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Hello.
We're having our 24' wilson built at the moment and went down a few times to the workshop(in Havant near portsmouth) to see the differences and ask some questions.
The owner john wilson doesn't get involved with the building he leaves it to a couple of other men who are far more informative ,helpful , knowledgable(and polite!) about these boats.Mr wilson himself is not shall i say a people person!
Having owned a few smaller wilsons in the past which have always been good boats we decided to go for a larger 23' as we managed to purchase 2 excellent bmw diesel engines(190hp,1 for spares) and volvo duo prop for a good price.When we went to the workshop , spoke to the builder and saw the 24' we were hooked(excuse the pun).
Physically it is a world apart from the 23' and looks huge in all areas Especially beam and transome) compared to the 23'.the hull is thicker and to reduce slamming the centre keel has been moved forward without they claim to much difference to the planing ability.
It is a nightmare trying to get info on these and have only taken bits of info from various people places,and if you get a brochure there is a review from a magazine which is very positive.Having never been in one or know someone with one its a slight gamble but having seen it ,owned smaller wilsons plus the few reports we've received plus the value for money we feel we're onto a sure fire winner and we're not gamblers.
i spoke to mr wilson on the phone once I know what you mean

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dont think he's really interested in expanding or modernising,he's just built and sold boats on reputation for years so if it aint broke dont fix it.A bit old school .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts