World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's nearly time to upgrade my 15ft CJR. I've loved this boat, despite a bit of slamming, due to its great stability on the drift or at anchor and high freeboard but I'd now like something just a bit bigger so I can fish 3 people.
I really fancy a Flyer or Pilot 17ft as it's a natural progression from the CJR but I might just be able to stretch to a Warrior 165 or similar.
So, is there anyone here who has direct experience of both of these boats or, better still, has actually owned both who could give me an honest opinion on the pros and cons? Does a Warrior really slam much less than a flyer? I was out in a friend's Mariner 210 and that seemed to slam as much as my CJR in a choppy sea.
Considering a Warrior is at least twice the price of a Flyer and with less deck space, 16ft vs17ft, are they worth the extra?
What about general sea keeping qualities? If conditions worsen unexpectedly, is one going to handle it better than the other?
Another option could be an Alaska. Any thoughts on these?
I'd be really grateful for your opinions.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi
I have owned used both extensively Warrior 165 and the 17ft flyer type and both have good and bad points
First the flyer great fishing platform but rubbish moving in a chop (its a bone shaker)
Warrior fast out and back less deck space to the flyer but we have fished 3 up on the warrior on many occasions.
Flyer we could fish 4 + up, plus flyers are popular by my area so they seem to do well
I think its down to what your budget and preferences are.
My personal choice is the Warrior over the flyer
Ye have opened up good debate on this one :run:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Had a few "flyer" hull type boats and now have a 17' Task force (room for 4 at a push), love it.
Loads of room, very stable, fast, wouldn't want anything else to be honest, and I fish "down south" and the BC.
OK they do slam a bit, but I don't "sit" and steer when on the move, I have always stood so it makes no difference (back issue).
Found that other types of hull (and I have had a few "like" the Warrior) are not so stable either on the drift or at anchor when two of you go to the same side of the boat.
But to be honest and all this is IMO only, there is not a GREAT deal of difference between the two hull's (apart from the "fishing" room/space/stability is better on a Flyer type of the same footage).

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Take a look at sea hog commodore
There’s one advertised on net somewhere
Similar to a flyer but higher freeboard and a better built boat imo
Huge deck for size

1 - 5 of 5 Posts