World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out on Sun from Brighton, the weather forcasts was for 10 - 12 mph winds. According to my tide calculations the wind and tide would be together so I thought the conditions would be fine.
Unfortunately it was lumpier than i thought it wouled be. Still safe and nothing which gave me or the boat any trouble. Unfortunately though I had my lad with me who didnt appreciate it at all and so rather than put him off for good we cut short the session.
When we got back to the marina I was chatting to someone who told me the waves where ahead of the wind picking up later that day, the waves travelling faster than the prevailing weather front. Is this true? If it is it might explain why Im so rubbish at predicting the conditions.

G

·
it can be true, it happens quite often here, some times you wont get any wind and still a swell when the wind is far away, or it can blow a hoolie and have a small wave when the wind is only localised, if you start to get an onshore swell you can usually outrun it home but the type i hate the most is when your well offshore and start to get a big swell from the shore this meaning theres wind between you and home, then theres nothing much you can do but batter through it. the surf forecast can help you get an idea of whats going on as far as wave height predictions, magicseaweed is a good one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts