World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took ben to the beach today to get shown how to cast properly by bob a tournament caster (never seen lead go so far :blink: ) he was emptying an over filled 6500 ct : it wasnt the best of days due to the wind but i wasnt going to miss it for anything ...:nonono: think if we meet up again he needs to take a stick with him to beat ben with for thinking he his chopping wood with an axe when he is casting no matter how many times he was told he started the cast ok then droped his shoulder half way through .......might be my fault as 13'6 and a 6oz lead could be a bit much for him ..........he going to the tackle shop tomorrow after school to get some 3&4oz leads might help him a bit ..........after watching for a while i decided to have a go ....getting shown how to cast properly made a big difference in distance (even to a numpty like me :blink: ) i was well pleased with how far i was casting .....then the inevitable happened knocked me mags off and you know wot happened next .....end of my casting ....lol............so it was back to watching ben he was getting there in the end ...he was managing easily 20 yds ....lol.........when he stopped i decided to try with his rod and reel as he was using his 6500cs .....wot a difference than casting with my 525mag extra the distance i was getting with bens was fantastic really pleased .......then ben did the crack off on his last cast ...........so it was down to watching the expert ......we had been there for 3hrs and i was froze to the bone but i could of stayed and watched bob cast for ages .............i would like to thank bob for taking the time to show ben and myself how it should be done and really look forward to meeting you again :notworthy :notworthy

·
Registered
237 Posts
i am going on the field and try with my greys gr-xs because i think its a bit lighte

so it was back to watching ben he was getting there in the end ...he was managing easily 20 yds ....lol.........when he stopped i decided to try with his rod and reel as he was using his 6500cs .....wot a difference than casting with my 525mag extra the distance i was getting with bens was fantastic really pleased .......then ben did the crack off on his last cast ...........so it was down to watching the expert ......we had been there for 3hrs and i was froze to the bone but i could of stayed and watched bob cast for ages .............i would like to thank bob for taking the time to show ben and myself how it should be done and really look forward to meeting you again
yes but my 20 yrds catches me fish

·
Registered
324 Posts
Your welcome mate , glad you enjoyed yourselves .:)
Basically Bens having problems because the rods too much for him , the tt sport is totally over gunning him at the moment thats why as he tries to cast his right arm collapses and he chops the cast , he does not have the physical size or strength yet to use the rod with any effect (But dont worry Ben you'll grow into it .:) ), thats why i dropped his lead size right down as 6oz is a bit big for him on the end of 13ft of carbon lol.
I've had a word with my son and next time I'll bring his old BZE down with me so he can have a go with that ( He has cast it over 150yds at casting comps with 75 g when aged 12 ) that should make a difference to him.
The other option is to kit him out with a carp rod and 75g leads for summer fishing or light bass rod , its what we teach the kids with who come to the Scottish events we find most can handle them no problem .

Ben ,well done today you had one or two casts that were spot on :clap3 :clap3:
you will soon be catching your dad up , see how he had to pinch your rod and reel because he had the first crack off :) :)

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
ian,

i have a bass rod ben can use over the summer. [ one my own kids used ] until he gets more confident. i also have lots of 3oz plain and grip leads he can have some of those to use.

bill

·
Registered
88 Posts
:secret: :secret:
took ben to the beach today to get shown how to cast properly by bob a tournament caster (never seen lead go so far :blink: ) he was emptying an over filled 6500 ct : it wasnt the best of days due to the wind but i wasnt going to miss it for anything ...:nonono: think if we meet up again he needs to take a stick with him to beat ben with for thinking he his chopping wood with an axe when he is casting no matter how many times he was told he started the cast ok then droped his shoulder half way through .......might be my fault as 13'6 and a 6oz lead could be a bit much for him ..........he going to the tackle shop tomorrow after school to get some 3&4oz leads might help him a bit ..........after watching for a while i decided to have a go ....getting shown how to cast properly made a big difference in distance (even to a numpty like me :blink: ) i was well pleased with how far i was casting .....then the inevitable happened knocked me mags off and you know wot happened next .....end of my casting ....lol............so it was back to watching ben he was getting there in the end ...he was managing easily 20 yds ....lol.........when he stopped i decided to try with his rod and reel as he was using his 6500cs .....wot a difference than casting with my 525mag extra the distance i was getting with bens was fantastic really pleased .......then ben did the crack off on his last cast ...........so it was down to watching the expert ......we had been there for 3hrs and i was froze to the bone but i could of stayed and watched bob cast for ages .............i would like to thank bob for taking the time to show ben and myself how it should be done and really look forward to meeting you again :notworthy :notworthy
keep at it ben and i,m sure you will reach your casting target given time and a little more tuition i remember your dad,s efforts when he first dabbled in sea fishing and from what iv,e been reading on the forum over the last month or so your catch rate has been a lot better than his ever was and fish were a lot more plentiful then when we used to fish on the coal beaches some year,s ago he was more interested in getting the coal fire going and the roast potatoes on the go than catching fish (and he was scared of the dark):secret: :secret: :secret:sorry to let your secret,s out ian but that,s life see you soon mate

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got in from work tnite and he had been sat for an hour trying to get a big birdie out as he had cracked off over the field...............lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts