World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
immensely, wait until you get an easterly, :-(
You mean the dreaded "wind from the East,the fish bite least" syndrome ?.............

If it blows from t' west,the fish bite best....

If it blows from t' north,wear yer woolies !!!!

If it blows from t' south,you had too many beans !!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Generally an onshore wind is supposed to stir things up a bit and improve the fishing. This is so on the south coast, the west coast and the north coast but not, for reasons best known to the old wife who started the tale, the east coast.
Depends where you are, I used to fish the Lincolnshire/Humber coast and an easterly was good for fishing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This is probably one of the most important things you'll ever learn in sea fishing, weather and tides have the most effect on fishing and knowledge of how both affect fishing in your area will greatly improve catches. It will also tell you when and where to fish.

An onshore wind (coming off the sea) will stir the sea and the bottom up, dislodging all sorts of marine life which creates a free feed for bottom-feeding fish. It will also colour the water, giving fish an opportunity to come closer to the shore to feed. Daylight fishing for some species can improve with coloured water.

An offshore wind (coming off the land) will flatten the sea off and the water will be clearer. This is ideal for sight feeders such as mackerel, but fishing for some bottom feeders is best done at night unless you can find deep water.

Generally an onshore wind (or just after) will be good for bass or for winter codling, an offshore wind is better for mackerel or whiting. Experience will give you a better idea of how weather affects things in your area.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When Carp fishing this rhythm was pretty darn accurate, not sure if it is for Sea fishing, as only just started again myself.

Wind from the east, fish bite least
Wind from the west, fish bite best
Wind from the south, bait blown in the mouth
Wind from the north, no fish come fourth

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
This is probably one of the most important things you'll ever learn in sea fishing, weather and tides have the most effect on fishing and knowledge of how both affect fishing in your area will greatly improve catches. It will also tell you when and where to fish.

An onshore wind (coming off the sea) will stir the sea and the bottom up, dislodging all sorts of marine life which creates a free feed for bottom-feeding fish. It will also colour the water, giving fish an opportunity to come closer to the shore to feed. Daylight fishing for some species can improve with coloured water.

An offshore wind (coming off the land) will flatten the sea off and the water will be clearer. This is ideal for sight feeders such as mackerel, but fishing for some bottom feeders is best done at night unless you can find deep water.

Generally an onshore wind (or just after) will be good for bass or for winter codling, an offshore wind is better for mackerel or whiting. Experience will give you a better idea of how weather affects things in your area.
Depends on the direction of the tide.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I did say GENERALLY and that's only my own experience. I haven't fished all over the country so I don't know which winds affect which areas. I'd be interested to find out though :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Wind direction does affect fish and the fishing. The age old saying "when the wind is from the east the fish bite least" definately seems to be the one most anglers know. While this saying has truth to it,you can still catch fish in this wind direction,but often the fishing isnt a really memorable bumper session. If fishing in my local area there are certain places and certain species that can still be relied on in a dreaded east wind,its something that can only usually be learnt from getting out there and fishing.
There are many factors to a good session,one of the factors is just being in the right place at the right time.....you cant learn that (?)...its just luck.(?) While this may be partly true......
You can sometimes try to get the odds in your favour of a good session by choosing the correct size/state of tide,correct sea state and water colour,correct venue from experience,correct bait for chosen fish species,correct moon stage(more important than some will believe) So get these odds in your favour and you may do well,but the fish just sometimes dont want to play ball, as even with suppodedly ideal conditions from experience and the fish just arent in the mood......Air pressure?....well theres a largely untouched area to most anglers.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
in all honesty ive never noticed the wind making a difference to catches
cant see how it would tbh as sea currents surely arent affect by it or sea temp for that matter .

·
Banned
15,237 Posts
"When the wind is from the east the fish bite least".

Wouldn't say this applies to winter fishing in Arbroath. Always been told the best conditions for here are high tide with a strong easterly. The stronger the better.

It's the only place I know of where anyone bothers with wind direction. Not saying it's the only place where it matters, just saying it's the only place I know of. Arbroath lies on the east coast. Can only guess, as has been said, for the west coast a westerly is probably better.

The down side to relying on tide state and wind direction is to get them both right you won't have as many fishing days in the year.

I'd say tide is more important.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
hi topnot,

just wondering what your thoughts are regarding moonphases.

i tend to try to fish around the new moon, weather dependant, for catfish, eels and carp but being relatively new to sea fishing..is this the same?

cheers

marc

Hi Marc,
From my experience,tides,moons ,do have an impact on Sea fishing just as much as other things we anglers think of as important to catching fish, or having a good session....like bait.Why spend all your money on fuel or bait and fish the wrong place at the wrong time due to tides /moons/pressure sytems not being ideal? Some really successfull anglers always seem to do well (?)...is it the bait.skill,planning,being in the right place at the right time.correct moon phase etc?
Alot of anglers fish after hearing whats been caught lately,they fish but dont do as well as they expect.Are they too late in the moon phase?
There are two full moons each month(big tides) one is a light moon ,the other is dark. Plus there are two half moons each month one is light one is dark...but each type builds up ,so you dont need to fish a specific day,just near to the ideal one,but some tides are better than others. Plus some marks are better on the smaller or bigger tides,but most marks fish better at night on the darker moons. It takes years to know which venue is best on which tide,plus theres the weather to take into account too...plus the wind direction and the sea state (swell),if sea fishing. Plus water clarity can change in a matter of days too. So theres more to being in the right place at the right time than many anglers realise.......its more than having the correct bait for the fish you think may be about. If more anglers wrote down sea state ,clarity ,moonphase etc...they may get a better picture of the "ideal" times to fish(?).......there is luck involved with fishing ...but it doesnt hurt to try to give yourself some extra "luck" with being in the right place at the right time.Whether it be tide time ,size,weather,swell,moon phase,bait ...plus local knowledge is a
shortcut too...if you speak to a knowlegeable local angler it could be a short cut. You cant buy experience...but you can "befriend it"

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Hi Marc,
From my experience,tides,moons ,do have an impact on Sea fishing just as much as other things we anglers think of as important to catching fish, or having a good session....like bait.Why spend all your money on fuel or bait and fish the wrong place at the wrong time due to tides /moons/pressure sytems not being ideal? Some really successfull anglers always seem to do well (?)...is it the bait.skill,planning,being in the right place at the right time.correct moon phase etc?
Alot of anglers fish after hearing whats been caught lately,they fish but dont do as well as they expect.Are they too late in the moon phase?
There are two full moons each month(big tides) one is a light moon ,the other is dark. Plus there are two half moons each month one is light one is dark...but each type builds up ,so you dont need to fish a specific day,just near to the ideal one,but some tides are better than others. Plus some marks are better on the smaller or bigger tides,but most marks fish better at night on the darker moons. It takes years to know which venue is best on which tide,plus theres the weather to take into account too...plus the wind direction and the sea state (swell),if sea fishing. Plus water clarity can change in a matter of days too. So theres more to being in the right place at the right time than many anglers realise.......its more than having the correct bait for the fish you think may be about. If more anglers wrote down sea state ,clarity ,moonphase etc...they may get a better picture of the "ideal" times to fish(?).......there is luck involved with fishing ...but it doesnt hurt to try to give yourself some extra "luck" with being in the right place at the right time.Whether it be tide time ,size,weather,swell,moon phase,bait ...plus local knowledge is a
shortcut too...if you speak to a knowlegeable local angler it could be a short cut. You cant buy experience...but you can "befriend it"
hi mate,

i mostly fish for catfish and they definitely feed better around the new moon phase (dark moon), as do eels.

being new to sea fishing, i was wondering if this was the same but as i have found out, every mark fishes differently at varying stages of tide, weather, wind etc.

i agree with your philosophy about making notes mate, it can give you a real edge and when fishing time is limited, it can pay off big time.

cheers

marc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts