1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a saying somewhere....

Wind from the east fish bite the least
Wind from the west fishing is best

or something like that. Is this true for shore fishing? All coasts??

I know it kills off the boat fishing on the south coast but I was wondering if it was the same from the shore.

It's forecast to be easterly over the weekend and was just wondering

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I heard a saying somewhere....

Wind from the east fish bite the least
Wind from the west fishing is best

or something like that. Is this true for shore fishing? All coasts??

I know it kills off the boat fishing on the south coast but I was wondering if it was the same from the shore.

It's forecast to be easterly over the weekend and was just wondering

doesnt make a difference at all IMO on the beaches up here.infact as you know the surf and conditions are better when its offshore.ie easterly..:)..

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doesnt make a difference at all IMO on the beaches up here.infact as you know the surf and conditions are better when its offshore.ie easterly..:)..
Cheers WBK.

A comparison would be difficult for me because it would make the assumption I was catching loads when the wind was onshore and thus able to compare.

:laugh:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Slapton sands fishes best during/after an easterly as it faces east and does not pick up much ground swell therefore it needs a local onshore easterly blow to put any surf on the beach thus coloring up the water and stirring up the natural bait and in turn bringing the fish closer to shore.

Beaches facing west pick up long distance Atlantic ground swells from lows thousands of miles away; these swells usually take around 3 days to arrive on our coastlines and coupled with an easterly wind make idilic surfing conditions for those on the Cornish or N Devon.
As for the fishing if there is NO ground swell and the wind is offshore from the east quadrant this will produce mill pond conditions and not 'usually' good for shore fishing.

In my experience the bristol channel marks fish poor in an easterly, this also applies to chesil.

A warm light to moderate southwesterly seems to be the most productive when shore or freshwater fishing, maybe to do with the temperature??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts