World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I've not got trouble passing this, I would like to know how you deal with it.

I was out last night with strong sideways winds, the line continuously being blown sideways.

To be fair if was borderline fish able but the surf wasn't that bad, a 5oz gripper held bottom ok.

So I was thinking...does thinner line make better in the wind? I'm using red ice 20lb at the moment which is fine for low wind but do I need some thinner stuff?

Or is it just a matter of taking your medicine and just letting the wind win?

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
the thicker the line /diameter the bigger surface for the wind to pick up on and the tide to push against , assuming weed levels are tolerable you could certainly drop down to at 0.35 line diameter approx 15lbs , or less , usually the more expensive lines give you a lower diameter per breaking strain .If no weed about , cast and keep rod low in tripod , if weed in breakers you have no choice but to get that rod as high as possible , if all else fails go home and argue ,,, i mean post on wsf with a nice cup of tea and wait for a calmer slot .:icecream::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Also turn your tripod 90 degrees and have it facing downwind. Less chance of it getting blown over then :) if you're fishing rough ground you'll have to use strong line but for clean beaches 12lb should be fine.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Time to get some thinner line then me thinks.

John/Colin, you might remember I had a bad experience with some 12lb stuff (funnily enough on the same location), so went upto 20lb. Time to go down to 15lb next reel up I think.

I'm sure you'll know weed where we fish is quite a PITA sometimes....:) Maybe i'll invest in another spool.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also turn your tripod 90 degrees and have it facing downwind. Less chance of it getting blown over then :) if you're fishing rough ground you'll have to use strong line but for clean beaches 12lb should be fine.
Yeh tried this....still the same issue as it was a strong SW.

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
the thicker the line /diameter the bigger surface for the wind to pick up on and the tide to push against , assuming weed levels are tolerable you could certainly drop down to at 0.35 line diameter approx 15lbs , or less , usually the more expensive lines give you a lower diameter per breaking strain .If no weed about , cast and keep rod low in tripod , if weed in breakers you have no choice but to get that rod as high as possible , if all else fails go home and argue ,,, i mean post on wsf with a nice cup of tea and wait for a calmer slot .:icecream::thumbs:
As the fellow angler said thin line is the answer.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If your useing a multiplier try putting a little more brake on or start gently thumbing the spool to prevent excess line being taken. Thumbing a little will have the same effect as feathering a fixed spool as it will make your line and rig straighten out. Bear in mind a little bow is no nessessarly a bad thing, it will help the lead grip.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your useing a multiplier try putting a little more brake on or start gently thumbing the spool to prevent excess line being taken. Thumbing a little will have the same effect as feathering a fixed spool as it will make your line and rig straighten out. Bear in mind a little bow is no nessessarly a bad thing, it will help the lead grip.
Thanks mate, I'm a newbie so on fixed spools.

A lot of the jip is the excess line being blown on a cast.

Last night wasn't too bad (new PB) so it just shows you.

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
line billowing out as you cast with a f/spool is really unavoidable when a strong sidewind is present i reckon and its one area where a multi will have the advantage , give yourself plenty of room and away from groynes , manually close that bail arm immediately the rig lands and tighten up quickly .As said a bow in the line once rod is in your tripod is no big deal so long as you have gently tightened to a gripper lead initially, in fact , as said , it can help .

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks mate, I'm a newbie so on fixed spools.

A lot of the jip is the excess line being blown on a cast.

Last night wasn't too bad (new PB) so it just shows you.
On F/s you just feather the cast. ( lighty apply tip of finger to lip of spool ) this will in effect slow the lines release from the spool reducing the bow if done well enough it shouldn't impact on your distance. But i will straighten up your line.. Or you can hit the lip hard toward the end of the cast and actually halt the cast early. The speed of the lead will pull the line straight. You will always get some bow but it will improve matters

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
No I've not got trouble passing this, I would like to know how you deal with it.

I was out last night with strong sideways winds, the line continuously being blown sideways.

To be fair if was borderline fish able but the surf wasn't that bad, a 5oz gripper held bottom ok.

So I was thinking...does thinner line make better in the wind? I'm using red ice 20lb at the moment which is fine for low wind but do I need some thinner stuff?

Or is it just a matter of taking your medicine and just letting the wind win?
If the lead holds then it's fishable!

The problem will be seeing bites and it maybe that you don't see any bites other than slack-liners. What you do is check your watch when you cast out and reel in after 20-30 minutes and see if you have caught anything.

It's not the most pleasant form of fishing but you can still get a good catch of fish.

Tripods can be a pain in these conditions as they can blow over. If you're fishing from a beach then a monopod sunk well into the beach may be a better option. If the waves are not too high, put the rod butt on the ground and support the rod near the tip as it won't bounce about so much and you may yet see a bite. Always check for sand blowing on your reel - there's no easy solution to this problem other than to drop a handrag or towel over your reel.

Dropping the line from 20lb to 15lb will only make a slight difference. Tighten the line up after casting but you will still have a big bow in the line.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Wondered why some put their tripod at an angle. Good idea. I usually take a plastic bag and fill it with stones to hold it in place and put my reel on drag. Learnt from the rod and tripod falling and breaking the eyes... Not hapened since... Might be coz i stand closer as well lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wondered why some put their tripod at an angle. Good idea. I usually take a plastic bag and fill it with stones to hold it in place and put my reel on drag. Learnt from the rod and tripod falling and breaking the eyes... Not hapened since... Might be coz i stand closer as well lol
I used to hang a bag of stones from the hook on the tripod but the noise of that bag flapping in the wind would drive me mad..What i do now is attach a bag of stones to a Goldie rig hanger that is put at bottom of the windward leg,then bury that bag in the shingle. Hey presto no more flappy bag. You can do this on any or all legs. The tripod ain't going nowhere... Often wondered why someone hasn't come up with a wide strap that clips between the front legs that can then be covered in sand or shingle.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I used to hang a bag of stones from the hook on the tripod but the noise of that bag flapping in the wind would drive me mad..What i do now is attach a bag of stones to a Goldie rig hanger that is put at bottom of the windward leg,then bury that bag in the shingle. Hey presto no more flappy bag. You can do this on any or all legs. The tripod ain't going nowhere... Often wondered why someone hasn't come up with a wide strap that clips between the front legs that can then be covered in sand or shingle.
And what do you do when the tide comes in?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Could use a quality m&s bag. They are not just any old bag lol. Rather have the bag flapping than me when i lose the stand double lol

·
Registered
25,001 Posts
LOL "if all else fails go home" i personally dont leave home if its windy on the shore,just get annoyed,when its windy,cold and or raining i seem to get more tangles,birdsnests,bait getting blown down the beach etc etc.:black_eye

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
LOL "if all else fails go home" i personally dont leave home if its windy on the shore,just get annoyed,when its windy,cold and or raining i seem to get more tangles,birdsnests,bait getting blown down the beach etc etc.:black_eye
i dont blame you mate , a bit of stir up helps sometimes but fishing is after all supposed to be enjoyable isnt it? there is a limit

·
Registered
79 Posts
Get rid of that Red Ice mate and get yourself some Asso hard skin I've just loaded it on my fixed spools and it casts like a dream. 14lb is 0.32mm and the 16lb is 0.35mm. It's very strong and easy to knot so it's got my vote!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts