World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No I've not been on the baked beans! I'm planning on fishing Hythe this Sunday, and there are predicted 18-20mph offshore winds. Is this too strong, I know It'll help casting distance with that direction, but will it effect the fishing? Probably a stupid question, I'm a newbie at this!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
No I've not been on the baked beans! I'm planning on fishing Hythe this Sunday, and there are predicted 18-20mph offshore winds. Is this too strong, I know It'll help casting distance with that direction, but will it effect the fishing? Probably a stupid question, I'm a newbie at this!
Not a stupid question. I've only been fishing for just over a year. I don't think it has much affect on the fishing but that's mho.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I’m a newbie too, fished Hythe for the first time today, the weather was amazing, sunny, warm, hardly any wind, possibly not the best weather for fishing but I didn’t mind.

The bad news, I lost a really nice Bass, would have been a pb as I’ve only caught a few babies up til now.

Did catch Garfish and Sand Eels which was a first.

Whereabouts in Hythe are you planning on fishing?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably somewhere along princes parade. Although i’m weighing up going closer to home either Allhallows, or somewhere on the Medway. Hoping for a decent sized bass, while they’re about, so not sure about the best location? I’ll have some lug and whole squid.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
To answer your question regarding strong wind, you didn't say whether you were lure, float, or ledgering...
Anyway, I was fishing yesterday in a 20 mph South westerly from the rocks in Cornwall. Float was a no no, as it was trotting faster than the Thames. Switched to lure rod, flinging a humble 40g dexter wedge. It pierced the wind nicely, but I had to counter-reel the trailing line smartly, blown by the wind on each cast. Glad I tried this as I caught 1 bass, 2 garfish, and half a dozen mackerel. The first mackerel and bass were my first 2 casts...jammy or what??? The other anglers with their posh soft plastics and poppers were catching zilch...yet my £1.75p dexter wedge was nailing them well into the dark, and covering a lot more water.
If it's fairly windy, I now bang the heavy metal lures out, regardless of tide. Dexters are ideal in these conditions, and cheap as chips!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was ledgering, one whole squid longish (my casting isn't great!) and a 2 hook flapper close in with Lug. Wind wasn't a problem other than the rod tips bouncing around like mad. Caught a little Flounder and what I think was a Gilt Head Bream, pic attached if anyone can confirm. Both around high tide, on the 2 two hook flapper.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
I prefer to fish when it's rough (ledgering) as it stirs up the water and the fish tend to come out of the deeper water as they are less likely to be seen by other predators.
Caught more when it's rough, even though it makes it difficult to fish with the wind blowing around your.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Agree there, plus sometimes in those conditions there are less anglers there to compete with, so you can swing your rod well and truly.
My fave conditions are when it's overcast and drizzly, with a nice little breeze, not just because I'm likely to be on my tod, I just love atmosphere of it, the sea is often more lively, stirs up the bottom (not mine) as John said, and fish definitely seem bolder and more numerous. Plus my catch rate goes up.
Does it for me!

G

·
Agree there, plus sometimes in those conditions there are less anglers there to compete with, so you can swing your rod well and truly.
My fave conditions are when it's overcast and drizzly, with a nice little breeze, not just because I'm likely to be on my tod, I just love atmosphere of it, the sea is often more lively, stirs up the bottom (not mine) as John said, and fish definitely seem bolder and more numerous. Plus my catch rate goes up.
Does it for me!
what no curried baked beans , my you are slipping tow rag (this will give you huracan force wind )

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
To answer your question regarding strong wind, you didn't say whether you were lure, float, or ledgering...
Anyway, I was fishing yesterday in a 20 mph South westerly from the rocks in Cornwall. Float was a no no, as it was trotting faster than the Thames. Switched to lure rod, flinging a humble 40g dexter wedge. It pierced the wind nicely, but I had to counter-reel the trailing line smartly, blown by the wind on each cast. Glad I tried this as I caught 1 bass, 2 garfish, and half a dozen mackerel. The first mackerel and bass were my first 2 casts...jammy or what??? The other anglers with their posh soft plastics and poppers were catching zilch...yet my £1.75p dexter wedge was nailing them well into the dark, and covering a lot more water.
If it's fairly windy, I now bang the heavy metal lures out, regardless of tide. Dexters are ideal in these conditions, and cheap as chips!
:) Seeing all this wind this weekend I'm thinking of bass at Hayling Island, tides aren't perfect but it does give me the opportunity for two BASS, one before midnight and one after, so that's my quota for two days, or doesn't it work like that? ;)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Best of luck mate, weather is horrendous here in Cornwall, up to 95km gusts. Sure put the dampers on my fishing. Looks the same for Sunday too. ffs. Bet it's stirring up the sea brew nicely. Be careful out there!!

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Yes, is your answer. It will likely affect fishing.
In some spots, in a good way. In others, bad.

An offshore wind calms the waves and sea, but it also stops the tide coming in on the flood, and then speeds up the ebb.

So, high tides will be smaller and shorter. Low tides shallower and longer.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You been quite for a while towrag!
Yes mate.
Bet you enjoyed the peace and quiet..
I've been layed up for a while after major surgery, so was away with the fairies for a while. Now I'm all repaired, and the bad bits have hit the bucket. Back at work too, and more importantly...FISHING, and without a babysitter with me. Only difference is having to go light. So I'm free to run amock amongst the rocks again...now I feel that I can contribute again to you fishy fellowship instead of being a passenger!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Yes mate.
Bet you enjoyed the peace and quiet..
I've been layed up for a while after major surgery, so was away with the fairies for a while. Now I'm all repaired, and the bad bits have hit the bucket. Back at work too, and more importantly...FISHING, and without a babysitter with me. Only difference is having to go light. So I'm free to run amock amongst the rocks again...now I feel that I can contribute again to you fishy fellowship instead of being a passenger!
Glad to hear it!! It's been very quiet with out you, you make me laugh and i dear say alot of others! I'm sure you will be back to full speed soon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts