World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>this winter i will need a new set of winter warmers as my sundridge combo suit has seen better days

anyone have any veiws on the titan/titantex jackets and trousers or shall i still with the floaty suits?

i hear the titan gear makes you clammy and dosent breathe very well???

cheers
macky ;D</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Macky1,

I have been using Titantex Jacket - Salopettes - &nbsp;Smock for over 5 years now and would not be without them. I gave up the Flotation suit years ago because of it being unbreathable.
I have found the Titantex products just the opposite. I prefer the Smock to the Jacket as it is more "roomier" however during the winter months the Jacket is warmer. I have been out boat fishing in horrendous conditions and remained completely dry on the inside. After a days fishing I usually have one of the lads hose me down to wash off the bits and pieces and have yet to get wet on the inside.

If you purchase the products direct from Titan themselves, they will make to size free of charge, at least they did this for me with my Salopettes.

A definite 10/10 for this excellent company.

Cheers

Drew</font>

·
Registered
11 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Titanex Salopets are the biz,very warm but breathable and waterproof,I&#39;ve got a Crossflow jacket for those cold nights its breathable and totally snug &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Just curious, but what reason do you have not to simply buy another Sundridge suit ? &nbsp;Is there something particular about them that you don&#39;t like ?

Personally, I will always opt for a floatation suit for winter fishing (which quite often is in heavy seas) - It should at least give me a fighting chance if by some accident the unthinkable happens... &nbsp;Well worth any incovenience of getting a bit sweaty on the walk/climb to/from fishing spots. &nbsp;A 2 piece makes the journey a bit more bearable as the top half can be carried instead of being worn.</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>I own a flotation suit and do not find that they cause you to sweat un-necessarily. All clothing will make you sweat if you walk long distances in it lugging large amounts of gear.

Use your common sense people, you should wear as little heavy clothing as possible while you are walking to your prefered spot and then when you get there then you should pile on the layers. The reason for not doing this before hand is that sweat becomes cold with time and will lower youre body temperature and also if you do not allow your body to aclimatise to the cold to begin with you will not appreciate the warmth extra clothing might bring.

Look at the army for example their soldier 95 clothing system relies upon layers of protective clothing, follow their lead as they know what they are doing and some times thier life depends on such a layer system.</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>That&#39;s sort of what I was steering towards FF. &nbsp;I have a floatation suit and sometimes yomp long distances to marks and havent had any trouble.

A point perhaps to make : No good at all spending a fortune on breathable outer layers if the layers underneath arent breathable, ie cotton t-shirt and then a jumper. &nbsp;Layering is the way to go, with the inner layer being something which wicks moisture away from the skin. &nbsp;Any decent outdoor shop will have loads of garments to choose from for the inner and mid layers. &nbsp;Walk to/from the mark without the floatation suit/jacket on then slip it on before the final climb down to the mark.</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>Could agree more with you. The under layer I use is actually a lycra top for athletes such as track runners. It is fantastic at wicking away moisture produced by perspiration and is almost as good as a second layer of skin.</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font color='#000000'>i find the suits to bulky and cant seem to get more than a year out of them before they fall apart, they get some real hammer in the winter cod season</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Folks,

Macky1 asked about Titan products because he was fed up with a heavy bulky flotation suit. He is right in what he says&#33; in my opinion they are the worlds worst fishing clothing on the market. If you are a lucky, 1 in a 100, &nbsp;you might get one to fit, the arms and legs are always too long, they are the hardest things to keep clean, and yes, you sweat like a pig with all the layers that you have to wear under them to keep warm. &nbsp;

With the Titan jacket all I ever have to wear is a T-shirt with a sweater on top, under my Salopettes I wear a pair of light fleece trousers. To clean them, put them in the washing machine. I have been out in freezing conditions and have yet to feel the cold - except for my hands. I cannot find the answer on how to keep my hands warm. I&#39;ve tried all sorts of gloves but to no avail. (Perhaps someone can help)

As far as safety is concerned, wear a life jacket, I know what you all will say&#33;&#33;&#33; but every boat fisherman should wear one all the time, winter and summer.

Cheers,

Drew</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi all - Slightly off topic but what are your preferred footwear then? I was going to get a flotation suit for this winter (looking at the Penn suit) - not much use with waders or trainers
- anyone got any particular boot (make/cost) they wouldn&#39;t do with out?</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Hondy,

If it is cold I wear a pair of Derris Boots with a removable fleece lining. (Easly washable) If the weather is fine a pair of short wellies with a pair of thick seamans socks.

Cheers

Drew</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font color='#000000'>i had some derri boats a few years back....lasted 4 months then all the bottoms split
now i use the cheapo £8 b+q boots and had my current pair for 2 year and they still going strong

macky
</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Macky,

All products are guaranteed for a period of 1 year, no matter how often you use it or them. If your Derris Boots only lasted 4 months you should have sent them back. I am 100% sure that they would have exchanged them.

Before I purchase any expensive product I spend quite a time researching the market. I am a Scotsman, and hate spending money&#33;&#33;&#33; except when it comes to sea angling, I always try and buy the best. I never buy cheap rubbish, I would rather save my money and buy when I can afford it.

I have been wearing my boots for well over 7 years and they are as good now as the day I bought them. My wellies (£5) in Seaton about 10 years ago are used all year round except when I go rock fishing.

Always remember, you have the sale of goods act to fall back on. ("The product which I purchased did not do the job for which it was bought")

Cheers

Drew</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts