World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon Members,

Don't get me wrong, "Winter Fishing in the BUFF" doesn't mean Cod fishing with no clothes on, icicles hanging from your (fishing) tackle!! I am referring to a very useful, simple and reasonably priced item of clothing that might earn its keep this winter if the promise of the forecasted Arctic Blast comes to pass. I make no bones about it, I am a Ray Mears fan and regularly view his website looking for practical items of outdoor clothing etc that could make sea fishing that bit more comfortable and sustainable even in extreme, adverse weather conditions.

QUOTE " Made with 100% merino wool, the BUFF is a multifunctional, tubular clothing accessory ideal for many activities. It can be worn as a neckerchief, BALACLAVA, scarf or saharine, and drapes comfortably around the neck keeping you warm without the itch of standard wool."
The literature goes on to say, "the wool buff comes highly recommended to anyone taking part in a winter expedition, or simply a day spent hiking, cycling (or fishing) in cold weather e.g. Arctic Experiences, Nordic Skiing".

I hope by now you are starting to recognise the value of this item of clothing, nothing "tarty" about it, a genuine , functional and useful bit of kit. Out in the wilds in mid winter, on some open beach or seeking protection tucked down behind a sea wall , even with hat and the hood of your waterproof, windproof outer wear pulled over your head, the face and ears are inevitably exposed to the blisteringly cold windchill...not anymore!!

Well, I have done my best to persuade you of the virtues of this item of clothing, but if you wish to investigate for yourselves, the link is as follows: http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/958-Buff-Merino-Wool-Cedar/

I gave my BUFF a trial this morning on Ogmore beach with a strong, cold SSW beating in across the bay, the result more than pleasing.

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi Derek

Absolutely agree with you! I have several Buff's in different styles, they really are the most comfortable thing to wear out fishing. Some keep you warm in cold weather, other cool & provide lots of UV protection when fishing in the tropics.

Check out the Buff website, below, and you'll see they do several with fish patterns on them, which are really cool!

All best

Dave

http://www.buffwear.co.uk

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's funny that I have just come across this post as a mate of myn was showing me one of these "buffs" only this morning in work, i had never heard of it before today, he told me to look on you tube just type in buff and you get a full explanation of what this really simple yet very clever item of clothing can do, I was well impressed and ones on order! Totally agree with ticker and dave,
Check out the demonstration on you tube,

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hi Derek

Absolutely agree with you! I have several Buff's in different styles, they really are the most comfortable thing to wear out fishing. Some keep you warm in cold weather, other cool & provide lots of UV protection when fishing in the tropics.

Check out the Buff website, below, and you'll see they do several with fish patterns on them, which are really cool!

All best

Dave

http://www.buffwear.co.uk
They seem to be half the price from this site

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good evening Chris (Grogg),

The Ray Mears BUFF is manufactured from 100% Merino wool which is light and comfortable on the skin. I would check out what material the less expensive versions are made from before committing. My wife and I both have a R.M. Buff each, which was tested out during a long walk on the exposed Ogmore beach this morning. Jen was very pleased with hers, enjoyed the protection from the strong , cold S.W. She is prone to getting severe ear ache so this Buff idea is a boon to her. I may invest in a couple more as spares.

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
Team Loonz
2,270 Posts
we wer issued them in the army wish id kept mine cracking bit of kit

·
Registered
14,766 Posts
Pop into your local Cotswold Outdoor store to see a full range of ORIGINAL BUFFS. You can even get one with the WELSH flag on. I've just brought 2 polar buffs with Halo Kitty on them for my grand daughters who live in Finland.

·
Registered
14,766 Posts
Glad I could help out Derek.Pity they've just closed the store in Talbot Green but if you're ever down Carmarthen way pop in and see me .

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good afternoon Members,

Don't get me wrong, "Winter Fishing in the BUFF" doesn't mean Cod fishing with no clothes on, icicles hanging from your (fishing) tackle!! I am referring to a very useful, simple and reasonably priced item of clothing that might earn its keep this winter if the promise of the forecasted Arctic Blast comes to pass. I make no bones about it, I am a Ray Mears fan and regularly view his website looking for practical items of outdoor clothing etc that could make sea fishing that bit more comfortable and sustainable even in extreme, adverse weather conditions.

QUOTE " Made with 100% merino wool, the BUFF is a multifunctional, tubular clothing accessory ideal for many activities. It can be worn as a neckerchief, BALACLAVA, scarf or saharine, and drapes comfortably around the neck keeping you warm without the itch of standard wool."
The literature goes on to say, "the wool buff comes highly recommended to anyone taking part in a winter expedition, or simply a day spent hiking, cycling (or fishing) in cold weather e.g. Arctic Experiences, Nordic Skiing".

I hope by now you are starting to recognise the value of this item of clothing, nothing "tarty" about it, a genuine , functional and useful bit of kit. Out in the wilds in mid winter, on some open beach or seeking protection tucked down behind a sea wall , even with hat and the hood of your waterproof, windproof outer wear pulled over your head, the face and ears are inevitably exposed to the blisteringly cold windchill...not anymore!!

Well, I have done my best to persuade you of the virtues of this item of clothing, but if you wish to investigate for yourselves, the link is as follows: http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/958-Buff-Merino-Wool-Cedar/

I gave my BUFF a trial this morning on Ogmore beach with a strong, cold SSW beating in across the bay, the result more than pleasing.

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)
Snood , its a snood !!!!!!!. Im amazed how you can write so many words about this !!!!! ITS A SNOOD .

·
Registered
14,766 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good morning splottcatcher,

Sorry, More Words!!

Thank you for your post and for suggesting that the name of the garment in question is called a SNOOD. Out of interest, I have looked up the definition of the Snood via various dictionary sites and listed a compilation of the results as follows:

(1) An ornamental hairnet or fabric bag worn over the hair at the back of a woman's head.
(2) A hair ribbon or band worn by unmarried women in Scotland.
(3) A small net like cap worn by women to keep the hair in place.
(4) A fleshy, wrinkled fold of skin that hangs down from a turkey's beak.
(5) A wide ring of knitted material worn as hood or scarf.
(6) A short line attaching a hook to a main line in fishing.

BUFF (r) is the registered trade mark of a Spanish manufacturer, ORIGINAL BUFF, whose name appears synonymous with a much narrower diameter version of this headgear, designed to meet specific "Health and Safety" criteria when used in extreme conditions, whereas the SNOOD refers to a much wider diameter product, a fashion extra for women.

I agree with you that the fundamental idea is the same, a versatile tube of fabric , the difference possibly lies in the design specifications or purpose to which they will be used.

Thank you for your post,

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good morning splottcatcher,

Sorry, More Words!!

Thank you for your post and for suggesting that the name of the garment in question is called a SNOOD. Out of interest, I have looked up the definition of the Snood via various dictionary sites and listed a compilation of the results as follows:

(1) An ornamental hairnet or fabric bag worn over the hair at the back of a woman's head.
(2) A hair ribbon or band worn by unmarried women in Scotland.
(3) A small net like cap worn by women to keep the hair in place.
(4) A fleshy, wrinkled fold of skin that hangs down from a turkey's beak.
(5) A wide ring of knitted material worn as hood or scarf.
(6) A short line attaching a hook to a main line in fishing.

BUFF (r) is the registered trade mark of a Spanish manufacturer, ORIGINAL BUFF, whose name appears synonymous with a much narrower diameter version of this headgear, designed to meet specific "Health and Safety" criteria when used in extreme conditions, whereas the SNOOD refers to a much wider diameter product, a fashion extra for women.

I agree with you that the fundamental idea is the same, a versatile tube of fabric , the difference possibly lies in the design specifications or purpose to which they will be used.

Thank you for your post,

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)
Its not 1973 m8 , do a google search for " SNOOD " you dont get directed to "Turkey skin ".With respect , i cant see the need of you being so Pedantic ??? .

·
Registered
14,766 Posts
Its not 1973 m8 , do a google search for " SNOOD " you dont get directed to "Turkey skin ".With respect , i cant see the need of you being so Pedantic ??? .
I don't think it's Ticker who is being pedantic. When I was in the forces we used to call a similar garment a" head over" . I think we borrowed the idea of the Norwegians from the arctic clothing they wore.I also remember wearing a similar thing made by Berghaus which had a draw cord on it so you could turn it into a hat. The principle is the same as an old fashioned scarf! It's designed to keep the neck warm as this is one area of the body where major blood vessels are close to the skin along with your wrists. These parts of the body along with your head are the really important parts to keep warm. Here endeth the lesson :thumbs:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't think it's Ticker who is being pedantic. When I was in the forces we used to call a similar garment a" head over" . I think we borrowed the idea of the Norwegians from the arctic clothing they wore.I also remember wearing a similar thing made by Berghaus which had a draw cord on it so you could turn it into a hat. The principle is the same as an old fashioned scarf! It's designed to keep the neck warm as this is one area of the body where major blood vessels are close to the skin along with your wrists. These parts of the body along with your head are the really important parts to keep warm. Here endeth the lesson :thumbs:
Sensible information and very applicable m8 , but if you apply Tickers explanation then you lot were sporting a ladies fasion accessory on military manouvers lol , wonder if it matched your pink weapons lol.

·
Team Loonz
2,270 Posts
i dont see any pink weapons do u lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.