World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Does anyone do any winter lure fishing up in Scotland? Thinking along the Galloway coast for a couple of day trips over the winter. Is there still a decent chance of Pollock, Wrasse and Coalies on lures over the winter?

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
In my opinion the fishing should improve for lures on some marks. The problem is the marks become more dangerous. So be sensible where you target. But coal fish, pollack, cod, whiting will all take lures fished deep.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Agree withe pike20, plenty of deep water marks will produce cod and coalies on soft plastic lures rigged weedless. just be careful moving about when its cold and wet

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool thank you. I think I will have a winter day trip. Would love a Cod to add to the lure caught species list.

I will reserve my trips for decent settled winter weather! Dont fancy fishing a big winter swell.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Isle of Skye probably the best lure fishing in Scotland and can still be very productive in the winter. A few theories that the bigger pollock are caught in the late October and November period.

Tight Lines
Joe

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Cool thank you. I think I will have a winter day trip. Would love a Cod to add to the lure caught species list.

I will reserve my trips for decent settled winter weather! Dont fancy fishing a big winter swell.
Most of my cod are lure caught, go for paddle tails as they like a good tail thumper, I find pollack prefer slugs/ribbon tails or small paddle-paddle tails, such as evostix. Good luck

·
Registered
775 Posts

I had some great sport with the pollack in Skye early January this year... deep water a must.

St Abbs might be worth a go for the codling if that’s what you’re after?
E55A967B-2306-4D1A-B8BD-F042FDC7848D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had some great sport with the pollack in Skye early January this year... deep water a must.

St Abbs might be worth a go for the codling if that’s what you’re after? View attachment 1125965
I actually went for a weekend to St Abbs in the summer. Didnt really do any fishing but a beautiful place. The access from St Abbs head to the shore looked quite difficult/dangerous.

Its only 160 miles from us but took a good 3-4 hours to get there. Not many motorways to there!

Think it might be worth a weekend though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts