World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone.
Up until late 1990's myself and friends were keen winter shore cod fishers. Living in Scotland at that time we fished all over the east coast, mainly rock fishing unless we got washed off and fished piers/harbour walls.

Over the years we had some good catches and lots of scary moments fishing rock marks in the dark with big swells.

From memory we used Century/Conoflex rods with Abu 7500 reels as it had fast retrieve. Baits were lug and full Calimari squid fished on clipped Pennels.

I am now 57 and want to return to winter coding and need some help with marks as I now live in Cheshire. I would be fishing alone and was thinking of the east coast marks like Whitby piers or sea wall at Robin Hood bay or any other marks that are safe.

I am not against fishing the west coast, but I believe good marks are not that many.

I have a good idea on what tackle I will be getting but would really appreciate some info on marks, which can I get on easy enough Nov to Feb/March and which are safe for fishing alone.

Appreciate any help, Thanks!

·
Global Moderator - The Cod Obsessed one.
15,555 Posts
Hi to everyone.
Up until late 1990's myself and friends were keen winter shore cod fishers. Living in Scotland at that time we fished all over the east coast, mainly rock fishing unless we got washed off and fished piers/harbour walls.

Over the years we had some good catches and lots of scary moments fishing rock marks in the dark with big swells.

From memory we used Century/Conoflex rods with Abu 7500 reels as it had fast retrieve. Baits were lug and full Calimari squid fished on clipped Pennels.

I am now 57 and want to return to winter coding and need some help with marks as I now live in Cheshire. I would be fishing alone and was thinking of the east coast marks like Whitby piers or sea wall at Robin Hood bay or any other marks that are safe.

I am not against fishing the west coast, but I believe good marks are not that many.

I have a good idea on what tackle I will be getting but would really appreciate some info on marks, which can I get on easy enough Nov to Feb/March and which are safe for fishing alone.

Appreciate any help, Thanks!

With time currently on our hands, it could always be worth going back through this sub forums history and reading all the old winter reports and building up a picture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts