World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning, a little before I decided to finish, a Bluefish decided to come visit my new lure. It was Smith D-Contact 50 in Ayu Pearl color that I loved so much.

I use a 6LB braid line and a 8LB fluorocarbon leader, the fish cut the leader a little over the snap (i'm usin 2 snaps) which makes me sadly think about using the wire.

Do you have a recommendation for how to avoid using a wire? If not, I'm open for recommendation for a good wire that will not hurt the casting and swim of the lure.

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
For toothy fish like that I tend to gang the clips with 2 or 3 linked together instead of using wire.

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
You can use single strand wire but your catch rate will greatly reduce. Even the small ones have razor teeth that can go through heavy mono ( 80lb ). In saying that I don't use wire on any species apart from very short lengths if I target sharks.

I rarely get bitten off using lures on bluefish as I keep my lures moving very fast, I also tend to use longer lures in the hope they don't simply ingulf the whole lure. Using whole fish as dead baits ( horse mackerel, yakas as we call them ) I use a double hook rig which nearly always hooks the bluefish on the top hook, the bottom gets bitten off. By the way I don't target them, my rigs are targeting other species, bluefish are bycatch.

The gear you are using should be great fun on them, which I would continue to use knowing I may have to sacrifice the odd lure. Infact we regularly catch them on far lighter gear if you look at my posts in the light game section ( far lighter than you are using ). Do you have any idea the size of the ones in your location?

This 83cm one was on 4lb using soft plastics intended for bream.

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The size of the bluefish in my area is from 300g at the start of the season and go up to 4kg in the end of the season.
I'm using only lures and jig-heads up to 5g and the lures are up to 50mm (did not find any longer in this weight).

I don't knot the word "targeting", because I can not choose which fish will attack.
In addition, I use the Jerkbait method because it brings more attacks just 3 seconds after I stop.

my gear is
Rod: Yamaga-Blanks BlueCurrent 74Ⅱ
Reel: Shimano Aernos 1000FB
Line: Sunline Small Game 4lb
Leader: Sunline Super FC Sniper Fluorocarbon 8lb

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Like JD said I’d go for longer lures, ie shoreline shiner 180 etc with only the rear hook attached, cheap as chips from China so don’t really matter if you loose a couple, forget the wire idea:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the shoreline shiner 180? The only thing i find is Daiwa lure that weights more then 10g.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like JD said I’d go for longer lures, ie shoreline shiner 180 etc with only the rear hook attached
Not a bad idea actually. Think I'm gonna try it for pike some day. In theory it should work.
As for wire vs. no wire I think we fishermen have a tendency to overthink things. Yes, a wire is visible. But so are the hooks. If the fish can see (and get put off by) the wire then the hooks would sure as hell put it off as well. Not to mention the difference between a lure and real prey. We give the fish too much credit (and yes, I am guilty of that myself ;))
Else +1 for the Drennan pike wire. Easy to work with and can be found in small diameters as well. Alternatively look into titanium wire and other pike-traces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts