World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at tying up a few tope rigs..... now,

some seem to be sticking with a wire snood and some now seem to prefer to tie with a heavy mono. What’s your thoughts/experiences with either as I fancy a go from the shore whilst we have a few around.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Whichever you feel most confident with, both work; but get a bigger one and a long fight, and mono might get compromised.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It depends on the hook. For j hooks I use wire. For circle hooks where 99% of fish are hooked in the scissors I use 200lb mono. In both cases I crush the barbs...it increases the number of hook ups (as the hook goes in easier) and on release makes jumping the hooks so much easier.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
I never use wire and catch plenty of toothy critters (sharks and tope etc). I had some sharking guys here from the UK a couple of months ago and though they caught plenty of sharks such as bronze whalers on wire, they couldn't catch a hammerhead until I convinced them to use mono. The next three days of sharking using circles I don't remember a single bite off and plenty of hammerheads (which are far more fun than bronzes by the way).

On the beach I tend to fish with the rod in the holder and around 5-7lb drag, this way when a fish bites it instantly feels resistance and panics swimming off with a double set of hooks in its mouth resulting in a corner mouth hookup almost every time.

These small tope from a recent shore trip were using 50lb mono traces and not one hook was lost during the evening and several other sharks and big bluefish were also caught.

The choice is yours, I use mono in the hope sharks will bite me off as I don't like targeting them, unfortunately this rarely happens and I have to go through releasing and hook removing etch. Just lately my son has shown an interest in fishing so letting him deal with the sharks is great!!!

_JDP1738.jpg
_JDP1756 1.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts