World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guys does anyone know any good websites to order 80lb+ ready made traces from with out breaking the bank?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't know if you can get them online but I bought some from Decathlon, I think a couple of quid each and look as though they would be up to the job.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate.. Just had a look on the website! Cant seem to find anything above 26lb.. I bort some lynx titanium 100lb traces last year and 2 of which broke at the clip in my hand!! At £7.99 a pop wont be buying them again!

·
Registered
73 Posts
In that case try rokmax.com for wire and crimps and make your own up. Having said that you'll find you will get far more takes if using 100lbs mono trace. You will occasionally get bitten off but in my experience this is outweighed by the much greater number of fish you hook in the first place. The only time I think it's essential is if you are fishing live/deadbaits in shallower water where barracuda are predominant. If plugging and trolling you won't get bitten off very often and as I said you will hook many more fish.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea that is the reason... Gonna be off the hobicats in cuba... Baracuda are the main target! Will be taking some mono aswell for when out on the boats!!
Think i may end up having to make my own seems like the cheaper option!
Cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
I make my own with titanium tooth proof and the black crimps. I find it works best to use a crimp size that will accomadate 3 passes of the wire so I can tuck the tag end back into the crimp,seems to hold better and safer for you hands later on. Don't use aluminum crimps because the dissimilar metals and salt water can compromise the crimp. Practice at home on the end of the roll until you perfect the crimping pressure ,don't over crimp the titanium as that will severely weaken it.

Enjoy your trip I can hardly wait to get back there myself

Rob

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers rob.. Just checked that out rekon il order some. Looks good! Only 6 weeks to go.. Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Jam69 if your budget allows check with the speed boat guys on the beach for some fishing.
In November it was 150 for 4 hours and I almost went but Dunni called the night before and I ran out of time on my trip. They can take you to deep water to jig and there's good fish to be had like the yellowfin grouper in the picture that I caught in April. Try to catch some bait on sabikis before and freeze them in your fridge to take with you to tip your jig with. The guys that run the speedboats are not fishing guides but if you have an idea about what you want to do don't be shy and tell them.
Not sure if your going to cayo coco or cayo Guillermo but should be the same either way.
Good luck
Rob

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers martin.. Thell do nicely!!

And thanks vara. Are these the guys that patrol the beach i back t-shirts?? I tuink they were black! I remeber people askin me about fishing last time but i was skint by that time! And a guy said there the people u want to go with!
Il try for duni first im still waitin for an email back from him and yordan.. Il probly just get my travel rep to call them when im there but i rekon i could afford both!
Dont have a jiggin rod tho or any heavy jigs. Plenty of crankbaits and poppers with small skirted jigs! Have a heavey spin rod and a 20-30lb boat rod. Gonna be after the ballyhoo from the peir for bait. Hear its the best!

·
Registered
144 Posts
yes those are probably the guys but if your not sure the nuatical club can point you in the right direction.I've caught ballyhoo from the pier but mostly sardines,also ask the guys about the sand worms pronounced (cal-an-draka)for a small fee they'll dig you some and cut into 1" pieces and threaded on a 4/0 hook make great snapper bait.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
N4lly, they look pretty decent but thats another that only seem to go to 30lb! Find it strange theres not more heavy traces about!

I tried last year to catch the ballyhoo but just sat there watching them strip the bread from my hook.. This year smaller hooks and smaller line on the hooklink. They seem to be invisible until u throw a tiny bit of bread in and bloody hard to catch!!
I will defo ask about the worms! Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you considered plating three strands of heavy braid together? This way if you get one strand bitten through or even two you still have one strand left. It's a method used by some lads when they go to The Gambia where there's plenty toothy critters.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could be an idea but im not sure that id want to be putting £20-30 lures on a line that has more of a chance of bein bitten off when i could just spend and extra few £s to make sure they wont!
If i was using cheap lures or just hooks with bait could be an option, but most of the lures i have bourt for this trip iv had to import! And last year off the hobbiecats the bait didnt work as well as a deep diving red head!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts