World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, do wire traces put fish off? i want to fish a mark but there is the possibility of a tope, i dont wanna fish solely for tope but i also dont wanna get bitten off, my other main species of target would be rays. also has anyone ever used tyger leader, would this solve my problem? tough yet better presentation?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
hi, do wire traces put fish off? i want to fish a mark but there is the possibility of a tope, i dont wanna fish solely for tope but i also dont wanna get bitten off, my other main species of target would be rays. also has anyone ever used tyger leader, would this solve my problem? tough yet better presentation?
I reckon they put Tope off. last year I fished a 3ft flowing trace with 60lb Flouro and a 6/0 with the barbed flattened off. I used mackeral steaks rather than fillets and caught 15 to twenty a day for four sessions. The best fishing I have ever had!

The trick is to strike them early so as to ensure that they are lip hooked, if you let them run then they swallow the hook which allows then to then saw thru the line. If you lip hook them then you don't need wire or heavy mono and if you use barbless hooks and lose a fish then it'll get rid of the hook easily. It worked for me anyways!

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
I use a short 30lb wire trace when I think there is a good chance of conger and tope, it is as fine as nylon and if it is short it doesn't inhibit movement much. There is a conservation argument that heavy mono damages fish less and I'm trying that at the moment but bought the wrong size crimps so no actual trials to report yet.

G

·
I use a short 30lb wire trace when I think there is a good chance of conger and tope, it is as fine as nylon and if it is short it doesn't inhibit movement much. There is a conservation argument that heavy mono damages fish less and I'm trying that at the moment but bought the wrong size crimps so no actual trials to report yet.
Salar, is it the mono you bought the crimps for?

The modern heavy mono doesn't need crimping, in fact it knots very easily with crimps simply being something for your mainline to tangle around.

I hate using wire except for the larger of shark species.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The modern heavy mono doesn't need crimping, in fact it knots very easily with crimps simply being something for your mainline to tangle around.
I agree that heavy mono doesn't have to be crimped but I disagree that a crimped joint will be more prone to tangling than a knot. A correctly sized crimp, crimped correctly with the correct tool (I'm being specific here because people don't usually bother about any of those three things) will make a stronger and much more compact joint than a knot.

I do have an axe to grind here because I sell lots of crimps and crimp tools!

G

·
Spike

I have seen a lot of anglers whjo drop a conmger or tope twce to quickly get tanlged up in their braid. It doesn't seem to happen with mono, but braid gets snagged on the crimped mono ends (slips down between the two bits).

Tom

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
ive used plastic coated wire for smoothies and spur dogs and doesnt seem to put them off, im of toping next month so also would be interested to see what peoples think.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't think that fish like Tope or Conger are put off by wire or heavy mono. A lot of anglers seem to consider 250lb mono a substitute for 100lb wire - the mono is much thicker than the wire. Tope certainly have no problems with ripping a groundbait bag on the end of a 10mm rope to pieces.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
smoothies can chunk through 40lb amnesia pretty dam quick, had to replace one trace after just one spur dog yesturday thats why at times i use it.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
As far as I know, spurdogs have teeth and smoothounds don't. They have the same jaws as rays and you don't need wire for them!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi,
Try tying your heavy mono, it's easier than you think.
If you find it awkward have a look at the tying tool on Captain Spikes website.
Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts