World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Witches today on the point with K.O.L from 07:30-14:30. Baits used were macky, sandeel, squid and rag.

First cast KOL managed a pouting, I had a pin whiting. Second cast I pulled in another whiting then all went quiet for an hour or so. Pulled in a tiny black fish, think it may by a goby or a blenny, anyone??? I then chucked out a whole large squid sprayed with prawn spray, and had a lovely bite on it and reeled in a greedy turbot of just over 1lb.

All was quiet for quite a while, and then as the tide turned I pulled in what we thought was a whiting, but on closer inspection looked more like a pollock, due to the mouth pointing up and small black spots on the back, a little to light than other pollock I've seen. What does everyone else think, I.D would be appreciated.

I managed 5 in total and KOL just the pouting. Possible three new species ofr the list for me. Used my brand new Carbon Metal with new 525 Supermag extra, both were a dream to fish with. £350 well spent.

I've only ever fished the point before, and in an effort not to climb the hill on the way back we went around and saw quite a few anglers fishing the ledges further around. Has anyone ever fished these before, if so what are they like, similar to the point? Clean ground or not???? Will probably give them a bash tomorrow.

Answers to all my questions posed would be appreciated!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I prefer the ledges to the left to the point. There's rough ground for about 20-30yds or so then clean sand. In fact, the further you go round, the less rough there is. I find that most of my fish are caught here at short range - 50-60yds or less. I've had a lot of rays from there including my biggest small eyed of 12lb 10oz and a spotty of 5lb 4oz. How was the swell today? It was pretty big last night.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
nice days fishing there, the ledges around the corner, cast out over sand, bit more comfortable, same type of fishing maybe a better chance of bass.
i often walk another mile or so to the first outcrop, fish the first of the flood, had some nice bass, top water, cook them on superheated pebbles, and you can get that all over tan, if you know what i mean.:secret:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
the swell wasnt to bad, eased off more at the top of the tide, lovely day to be out fishing! just a shame i couldnt winkle out a few more fish, but fiskies always out fishes me:cry: ......its all those womens pheromones:g:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
not sure what its called, about halfway to monknash, its where all the nudists bask, just down from a rope ladder.

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,642 Posts
well in there guys - nice session.......
thats a definite pollack aswell - well done!
good report and pics.....

G

·
if king of leon had a dress on he would look like a woman the way he is sitting on his tackle box:kissing: :kissing: :kissing: :kissing:

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
The ledges further round it is tomorrow then? Give it a whizzzz!
i often walk another mile or so to the first outcrop, QUOTE]

Do you mean Wick ledges?
Hi fiskies yes you can fish them mate thats what we call the green bank anything over a barry 13m tide tight lines

Hi charlton thats called wick ledges mate i fish there on the big spring tides on the left hand side good for the rays tight lines

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good session there , a nice day and a new species as well....Nice one..As for the pollack they can be caught on the float round witches..A mate of mine had a 5lber of Friars a few years back.

·
Registered
427 Posts
aw rite i was on the bottem when u was leaving u ask me if i caut but had nothing then but eneded up with a turbot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts