World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi mate, a guy named poacher left a good post about withes point on 1 of my posts it reads:-

southerndown is a nice beach, summer fishing can be extremely good, its a nice spot, but can be a bit of a trek. never fished the beach itself, but to the left you have witches point, the left as you look straight out in front of you i mean, the pointed piece of rock, you can get many rays from there, i like it further to the left again on the ledges, i av had mullet to 4 and a half lb, bass around the 6lb mark, and plenty of skate over the years, you are obviously fishing on2 the sand solosses are really to a minimum, a really nice place to fish, and i think u will enjoy it. giv it a go, last i heard they were having doggies from there, but the skate are starting now, so you never know........

so sounds like a good place to have a shot, i certainly will be having a go.

hope this helps

philster

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
It is possible to fish over low water, but it's a bloody long drop! I have never liked fishing there. Give me a nice, flat beach any day. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
:eek: HI HERES A BIT OF INFO.

WITCHES POINT

Witches PointWithces Point has taken lives, this mark is a long walk with steep drops and fishing is close to ledges. The current here is extremely strong and you should not fish here during an onshore blow. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!Finding Withches Point is easy, it's next to Ogmore. Situated at Southerdown beach, the mark is the headlands to the left of the beach as you look out to sea. Access to the beach is gained form a signposted road from the 'Three Golden Cups' pub on the main road. It is a series of small ledges which are comfortable to fish from. Having said that, serious care should be taken when fishing here with footing and landing fish when standing close to the edge being dangerous. It is also a steep walk from the car park of the beach which is the best and safest spot to leave the car. It is however not the largest platform from which to fish, and I would suggest if it is crowded, rather than risk being stuck on a high ledge, got to Ogmore instead as it is a lot bigger and similar fishing.This is a high tide venue, during summer it is best fished during the larger tides when wind is minimal, and as most marks, it fishes better at night, although I wouldn't recommend this alone due to the dangerous nature of the mark. Cast should be straight out to sea, and need not be much more than 50-100yds. From about 30yds outwards the bottom is mainly sand, and very little tackle should be lost here. A landing net would be handy, although a good long strong leader should see most fish landed safely. Best bait her need only be mackerel, squid and sandeel or coctails incorporating any of the three. Plenty of dogfish can be caught, however conger, bass and several species of ray, noteably the small eyed variety, are also a good possibilty. The best rigs for this mark has to be the clipped down pennel rig.During the winter months this mark will produce good number of whiting and cod, with the odd lunker showing occasionaly, and it is also best fished at high tide during the larger tides. Worm baits will work best, however squid strips or whole and mackerel will aslo catch. This mark, although a dangerous location is good, and is often overlooked by the more popular Ogmore Deeps, however it should produce the same fish and numbers. Top tip here is not to fish alone, and tell someone you are going here. If it's sunny weather then suntan lotion or hat is adviseable as the rock surface will assist the sun burning you to a crisp without you even realising. In all an excellent mark.

clive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts