World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, posted a while back when I thought I was working down in Bude next week, turns out now I'll be based near Woolacombe. Will probably try plugging/spinning for bass round Baggy and other rocky marks---there seems to be plenty of info about this on the forum, but wondered if anyone could point me to a local spot to get some macky to do a bit of bait fishing off the beaches and for my tea!
Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I believe they are showing off the pier at ilfracombe, im sure the guys who fish there regularly can help you more.
:secret:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Never tried feathering from the beaches or had one on a lure so I'd stick to nearby rocks.

Baggy itself is good for them, or Down End rocks at the far end of Croyde beach. Also Morte Point, just north of Woolacombe – north side near the tip seems the best bet but almost anywhere should be fine if they're in.
(they should be, just haven't tried yet!)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for that, looking forward to checking out a new location---instructing climbing all day but on sea cliffs that's never stopped me fitting in a bit of plugging/feathering, then hopefully will be able to do some bait fishing/more serious plugging in the evenings (if I can keep out the pub!)---can't wait!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
---instructing climbing all day
If you fancy a busman's holiday you could fish the low water beach at the tip of Baggy — looks beautiful (but possibly shallower than you'd expect) but I've never fished it as my helicopter's out of action at the moment ... :)

I have some pics on a disk ... somewhere — if I can find it {:lmao:} I'll post them later.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for that, will check it out, might be somewhere for an evening session (should be quiet!)---would love to see some pics if you can find them---Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
only the odd one or two being caught at the moment and not very regular either.

their are loads of pollack upto 2 1/2lb being taken on float though
All the Pollack I've seen recently have been less than a pound. Where's the bigger ones Lee ?:g:

Very few Mackeral at Ilfracombe so far.:uhuh:

·
Registered
340 Posts
wondered if anyone could point me to a local spot to get some macky
:secret:Best place to get your macky at the moment is Barnstaple Tesco's or Sainsburys wet fish counter. Tigth lines and best of luck.
BTW try Sandeel from Woolacombe beach for SE Ray or Worm for Bass.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
couple of guys i spoke to on friday night said they have had loads through the week upto 2 1/2lb. dont know how true but it seemed genuine enough at the time
Yeah, I heard something similar last week - " Loads of Pollack 2lb + blah , blah ............."

I don't know about loads of Pollacks .... sounds like loads of *ollacks to me !:uhuh:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for that, will just try off the rocks and see what I can get---will try for bass, pollack and macky and if i get enough macky for bait will go off the beaches at night---there were plenty in North Wales last week, so they can't be far off---do they normally arrive a bit later in Devon?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
:secret:Best place to get your macky at the moment is Barnstaple Tesco's or Sainsburys wet fish counter. quote]

Hate to disagree mate but I wouldn't use what I've seen in there recently ... grey, flat, with whitish eyes... and people are supposed to eat these!

The quality at Tesco especially has really gone downhill. 2 seasons ago they used to have superb fish, still 'living' green if you went in early enough, and I used to get all my mackerel there.
Now though, I'd go to either of the fishmongers in Butcher's Row (between the theatre and high street in town) but buy the fresh stuff and not the 'bait' quality ... usually frozen and just the stuff that didn't sell. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi - Iam fishing croyde beach at night at the moment - I had two nice bass last night...an hour before low tide. Situate yourself sort of in the middle of the beach and don't cast too far out.

I wouldn't bother fishing off the rocks with a spinner unless you are going at dawn or dusk and the water is calm...at the moment it is very coloured and even the most suicidal bass is going to have difficulty spotting a lure.

Good luck

Paul

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeh, I remember me and a mate looking at the dried out, dull 'fresh fish' on an Asda counter near the docks in Fleetwood of all places---with no doubt a fresh catch being unloaded only a few hundred yeards away!
The best bet by far is Morrisons, way fresher than anywhere else, but I find it hard to bring myself to buy mackerel for bait in a supermarket in summer (well, it is almost!)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hate to disagree mate but I wouldn't use what I've seen in there recently
:secret: Thats because I've been getting there before you and buying all the choice macky.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
:secret:Best place to get your macky at the moment is Barnstaple Tesco's or Sainsburys wet fish counter. quote]

Hate to disagree mate but I wouldn't use what I've seen in there recently ... grey, flat, with whitish eyes... and people are supposed to eat these!

The quality at Tesco especially has really gone downhill. 2 seasons ago they used to have superb fish, still 'living' green if you went in early enough, and I used to get all my mackerel there.
Now though, I'd go to either of the fishmongers in Butcher's Row (between the theatre and high street in town) but buy the fresh stuff and not the 'bait' quality ... usually frozen and just the stuff that didn't sell. :)
Did anyone see that programme on TESCO'S last week? Theres no way i'd buy mackerel for bait there let alone for human consumption:uhuh:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Hi all.........

Just found this website, so registered to hopefully help on your question - but maybe hinder..... eitherway...... here go's !!..:)

I live in Ilfracombe, love shore fishing for anything - love freshwater fishing for anything, but main passion is boat fishing.... I own a boat, so get out when i can...day off tomorrow !! 2mph s/w - so gunna drift down to past lee bay, then down to Woolacombe...
You were asking on the mackeral - Yep deffo in and being caught.....
best place is prob Capstone rocks (Ilfracombe).... mate had 30 in 3hrs, so they are not in 100%, but they are there !!..another good spell of weather will bring them in large numbers....
Just finished last years freezer full - so need to restock with fresh...
Defrosting last years catch just doesnt do it !!.....scaby bait......
Im waiting for the tope to follow the mackeral in......had a good run of tope last year, with a 55lb & a 70lb thrown in :)
As for the Bass..........drifting large live joeys over the sand banks works - Bass to 9lb last year - still waiting for the double !!
Have alot of surfer mates in Woolacombe - had lots of reports of small sandeels in the shallow surf.......they will be eaten by the bigger sand eels, and thus - Mr Bass shouldnt be far behind !!!.......live sand eels is your best bet !!....another good beach is Saunton ......... less manic than woolacombe, but needs some effort on the walk :g:
Best times to fish these beaches from the shore, is the ebb tide, on the neap's.........you wont get any weed on your rigs etc. (Bass & Ray)..
Fish these beaches on Spring tides and you will be moving back every two minutes......very shallow beaches !!........
Hummm - think im waffling, so hope this helps .....
Tight lines.......and no dogfish !!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts