World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Greys G Series 30-50lb Boat rod a couple of weeks ago and i've only used it twice, but it already needs to be returned to angling and hiking because two of the rod rings have cracked and split. As a result of this i have lost a full reel of 25lb ultima red ice line due it fraying against the broken rod rings. I don't know if i'll get a refund from angling(probably not cos they're thieving little B*ggers)And it'll cost me from £30-£35 to get it replaced or repaired if i wanted to use the greys 5 year guarantee which is not much less than what i payed for the rod.
So the only way of me getting another 50lb class boat rod is to fork out another £88 for a Shakespeare Ugly stick braid 30-50lb and i desperately need it for the recent tope and wreck fishing boat trips i have planned.
Any way moving back to the word of warning...
DONT BUY A GREYS G SERIES 30-50LB BOAT ROD BECAUSE THEY ONLY LAST TWO WEEKS!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
It will be covered by it's statutory guarantee if it is only a couple of weeks old.

As for 25lb red ice... odd line to use with the rod? Either way, you may find that bit they won't do anything about, but the supplier will be obliged to sort out the rod.

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be covered by it's statutory guarantee if it is only a couple of weeks old.

As for 25lb red ice... odd line to use with the rod? Either way, you may find that bit they won't do anything about, but the supplier will be obliged to sort out the rod.
Even if i could get it sorted under its statutory guarantee, then i wouldn't want the same rod again if they only last that long.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
ot used the rod, but it is clearly a fault in manufacturing, maybe a dodgy batch.
Another will be fine. It's a case of get it sorted free and have a spare rod even if you don't want to use it, or sulk about it and buy another brand and not bother with the Greys.

The supplier is legally obliged to get it sorted as the goods weren't fit for purpose.

·
Landypirate
1,591 Posts
G

·
As stated...Sale of Goods Act. Guarantee is irrelevant. Your contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer. If a fault that is covered by the Act causes you loss - damaged line,in this case, then the shop is liable for that too.

Better to talk to them in the first instance, though..... rather than complain here before they've had a chance to respond.

·
Registered
392 Posts
can only agree with above posters... had a problem with two firefly rods recently purchased.... two emails later replacement rods received... tested them the other day... spot on..... thumbs up for good service

:fishing:

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been to angling and hiking to see what they could do and they have rang up greys and ordered a replacement rod.
Angling and hiking were unwilling to refund the money so i could pay the extra to get a Shakespeare ugly stick braid rod but oh well, at least they saved me the trouble of ringing up greys.

·
Landypirate
1,591 Posts
I've been to angling and hiking to see what they could do and they have rang up greys and ordered a replacement rod.
Angling and hiking were unwilling to refund the money so i could pay the extra to get a Shakespeare ugly stick braid rod but oh well, at least they saved me the trouble of ringing up greys.
perhaps you should have waved the sales of goods act under there nose , maybe that might have changed there minds , a guy i know bought a bike from a well known sports retailer , after 2 weeks a total of 3 spokes had broken and most of the others were loose , they told him that they could not do anything and that HE had to send it back to the manufacturer,when he went back armed with the sales of goods act , he came out of there with all his money back ,if he believed what they said the first time they would have got away with that little con , if i read the act right it could be illegal to refuse to pay your money back , if the goods are as faulty as you say , perhaps someone on here knows otherwise and could put us right,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would need a 50lb rod for tope or wreck fishing

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would need a 50lb rod for tope or wreck fishing
For large female tope that grow upto 80lb+ and for large conger of around 80lb's also

1 - 13 of 13 Posts