World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Rag and Lug worm yesterday and when i got the bait home i placed it straight in the fridge about 17:00. I took the bait out this morning and when i got to my fishing mark i set up and baited up. I found that some of the ragworm were very lifeless, almost bordering on dead. My lugworm were mainly ok but some were oozing blood or inners and they were very bloody after a couple of hours.

Could it be that my fridge temperature too cold? or is there another explaination.

I never have any problem with my supplier so i'm a bit stumped really.

Still managed to catch 4 small bass on the lug but nothing on the rag.

Cheers,Ian

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
They should have been ok. fridge not too cold. could wrap in fresh paper though as 1 dead one could taint others.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
could have alot 2 do with the heat 2 m8. not often i use worm in summer but when i have i've always kept them with a ice pack.
a change in temp can cause lug 2 burst.

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
Make sure the shop only gives you whole worms and no broken bits. and make sure you dont leave em wrapped up in the fridge.

make sure there is enough peat in with em, If there isn't they will cling togeather and break up. only takes one dead bleading worm to ruin all the others!

And if your fridge is to cold they will go fizzy and burst.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I too had a similar thing happen to me at the weekend. Bought 50 rag all of very good size on thurs afternoon , got home and opened up the wraps and placed them in a tray with moist news paper on bottom. I put plenty of peat over them and covered them with more damp news paper. put in the bottom of the fridge for use on sat night. Sat afternoon I got the worms out and proceeded to wrap them up, only to find that they had done a very good job of slicing and eating one another. Result 50 not so large and not so wriggly worms in a bad state. Never had this before.:mellow::help::g:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Something about ragworm (and lug to a lesser extent) that needs to be understood, is that A) They dislike each other intensely, and B) if they meet, even in peat, they will fight furoiusly. To see this, use a length of supported clear plastic tube full of seawater, and put a freshly dug ragworm of roughly equal size in each end and see what happens!! Its a bit like cockfighting underwater!!!
These worms live in three dimensions, they travel in burrows that can be forward, back, up, down, and side to side. To prevent this, restrict the worms to two dimensions by using damp newspaper, and layering the worms in it. Just adding more peat is useless as it doesn't separate the worms, and (irish or anywhere elses) moss peat is even worse as it is acidic, and can damage the skin of the worm.

This should help.

ptr

·
Registered
228 Posts
Optimum temp for lug is between 0C - 2C, Ragworm don't like the cold, optimum temp. for them is between 4C - 7C, as most domestic fridges run at lower temperatures, so your food does not go off, so if you can get the mean temp. in the fridge to be between 3C - 6C your bait should be fine, however, if you have taken the bait for a sessions fishing, it might be worse the wear and you cant bring dying worms back to life, even if everything is the right temp. where their gonna be stored so the saying says "YOU CANT MAKE A SILK PURSE OUT OF A SOWS EAR"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts