World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
If I am fishing for small flat fish on say a size 4 hook, how long should I have the worm? Should it just cover the hook shank or can I put a whole worm bunched up using a bait stop.

I can see that the bigger the worm, the more scent there is, but will it be too big for smaller fish to be interested in?

Thanks
Ady:unsure:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I don't think that a worm too big for a flatfish has been discovered yet, bunched up isn't good if the hook is in the middle of the bunch. Fish can create a 'suction area' around their mouth to engulf the bait and the mouth is extensible/ variable geometry so it can easily swallow a worm of the normal size.
The best method is a bunch of head hooked small worms, plenty of movement and wriggle to attract attention.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I don't think that a worm too big for a flatfish has been discovered yet, bunched up isn't good if the hook is in the middle of the bunch. Fish can create a 'suction area' around their mouth to engulf the bait and the mouth is extensible/ variable geometry so it can easily swallow a worm of the normal size.
The best method is a bunch of head hooked small worms, plenty of movement and wriggle to attract attention.
Got to agree with the captain.
We had Flatties in a huge tank to watch them...they will eat a worm quicker than you can see!! So the advise sometimes heard about not leaving tails hanging as flatties nibble them off the hook doesnt make sense to me. We use upto a dozen harbour rag on a hook and greedy flatties will sometimes eat two hooks on a trace .Flatties can be quite aggresive feeders.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

So I could add say a 6" or 8" worm just straight onto the hook and up the line a bit, leaving the hook coming out of the bottom of the worm?

Cheers
Ady

·
Registered
24,922 Posts
Probably going to get shot down in flames,but thread the hook down through the worms head and bring the point out of the worms body so that the eye of the hook is just covered by the worms head,works for me.

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
Probably going to get shot down in flames,but thread the hook down through the worms head and bring the point out of the worms body so that the eye of the hook is just covered by the worms head,works for me.

I find if you hook the worm just below the head then it stay lively a lot longer, otherwise spot on.

·
Registered
24,922 Posts

I find if you hook the worm just below the head then it stay lively a lot longer, otherwise spot on.
Oh how i"d love to pee on your fire! LOL:doh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts