·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever used earth worms to fish in the sea?shaggy

·
Registered
383 Posts
:confused: but someone has tried them, found a shed load in a take-away tub down on ogomre on the sea lawns mark?????? maybe in the estuary but anywhere else no unless someone has a different idea :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
472 Posts
It would certainly make sense to try fishing with earthworms around estuary marks, particularly after stormy weather, as the rivers would be transporting worm downstream into the sea. I should imagine sea trout and salmon would be very likely to take them as well as some species of flat fish and eel.

While fishing in Cenarth near Cardigan on the river teifi we would catch flat fish that had travelled inland to feed on the worms washed into the rivers. Cenarth by the way is 8 miles inland.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,214 Posts
I saw a guy using earth worms in a match last year in an Estuary up north. When I asked him why, he looked at me strange, as if it was normal practice up there. Apparently, it was a measure and release match and the guy was after eels, which are obviously worth more points.

The guy was catching so I can only assume that they work. Whether they work off the beach though is another matter. To be honest, if they did work, people wouldn't spend hours on a beach digging lug would they? I might try it just to see. Maybe put some lug on one hook and some earthworms on another and see what happens.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i do a lot of river fishing and on the odd occasion have disturbed a flattie in our river again a few miles inland.if you check out ogmore angling club's gallery there is a picture of a flattie taken on a fly had problems uploading it for you all

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi,
I used to fish mainly estuaries, especially for flounders and one day saw a beautifully calm day following a lot of rain. We had no rag dug but couldn't resist fishing so got some big earthworms.
We fished these on baited spoons trolled slowly after our ancient pram dinghy in the brown water and we certainly caught fish.
Jon

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tried em in a harbour (non estuary) once, no bites whatsoever. Switched to macky, coalies aplenty. Only a one-off, I know, but put me off trying em again

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
They're bound to work as they are Protein and Alive and Kicking! Well for a little while before the salinity gets them and they shrivel up due to Plasmolysis or something. Bet maggots would work for the little ones as well. MUST TRY!!!

Bet you they've been used loads and not just in esturies! We havn't used them because we're so hidebound by tradition. Now if there was an article in 'Sea Angling' and we'd all start digging our gardens!

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ill give it a go and c what happens.shaggy

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Eels eels and more eels as a kid used to fish in local pond for eels and THE bait was earthworm caught hundreds of the nasty slimey things. They also always used to swallow the hook so we used to use small ones and just cut the trace. This didn't seem to do them any harm. Once when I was going out my Old Man asked if I could bring some home for him i gave him 4 or 5 and when he cleaned them 2 or 3 had two or more hooks inside them proving that not only had they survived and prospered but also that they didn't learn a lesson :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
when i was i kid and either the tide was in for digging lug or we had no money for buying bait we would regularly use earthworms in Barry Dock.
we used to caugh pouting,whiting,silver&green eels and small bass,so they do work although never tried them in the sea.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Have used earthworms when i teenager in the River Severn. Caught the norm of eels and flatties. However maybe as a good idea use them as a hook filler or as a way of stopping your main bait blowing off the hook when casting?????

Woodster

1 - 13 of 13 Posts