World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a small rod which is getting on a bit, not sure on make or anything, i just know its a 7', 1/2-4oz, medium heavy action. the reason i want to rebuild it is because i want to practise on something before anything better. also all the rings were loose/rusty and some of the rubber on it was starting to fall off.
im just wondering if its worth rebuilding... i was going to use it as a mackeral feathering rod for boats or a heavy spinning rod. is this a good idea?

cheers
arran.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Financially its probably not worth it, but it will give you some good practice, and there is a certain pleasure from building your own rod. Only advice I can give you is take your time, there no prize for the guy that does it the quickest.

Best of luck

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just looked at the price of components then, oh well! ill have to grin and bare it because i want to learn :bb: i must be mad :laugh: do tackle shops sell most of the stuff? or is it a internet job?

thanks for the tip SJ i will keep it in mind :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
i just looked at the price of components then, oh well! ill have to grin and bare it because i want to learn :bb: i must be mad :laugh: do tackle shops sell most of the stuff? or is it a internet job?

thanks for the tip SJ i will keep it in mind :thumbs:
Have a look at blakdog's website, he's got budget rod building gear, so you can practise to your heart's content, without busting the bank

·
Registered
728 Posts
A 7 ft rod can't cost the earth to rebuild, and yes, of course it's worth it. It has history, it has potential, ... it's yours and it deserves it. Sometimes old rods just have the edge.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
A 7 ft rod can't cost the earth to rebuild, and yes, of course it's worth it. It has history, it has potential, ... it's yours and it deserves it. Sometimes old rods just have the edge.
Correct!

I recently sold an old Ted Oliver light spinning rod to a guy in Texas. He was happy to pay £80 for the rod and £40 shipping. He's absolutely over the moon with it. Emma tried it on a little trout stream near us and she didn't want me to sell it, she reckoned it had so much more "feel" than any modern rod she uses.

I just hope I can get a result from the pile of split-cane and greenheart rods I've just acquired; not to mention an old Abu Atlantic 416, with genuine Abuflex rings.

Now if someone is looking for something to practise rod-building on, they're welcome to make a bid on ebay

·
Registered
728 Posts
ABU Atlantic 416 with Abuflex rings ... as I recall, they make a unique sound as the line rubs on them when retrieving with a heavy load on, we used to call it the "ABU squeak".

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
unfortunatly the rod tip snapped in 3 places, i wet sanded all the varnish off and wiped it down yesterday, today i go back to it and it starts to creek and it just shattered from the slightest bend :sad: fortunatly i have a beachcaster there i also want to rebuild, hopefully this will go better. thanks codhead for the heads up on that website.

·
Registered
37 Posts
definetly worth a shot,couldnt afford a new bass rod so I scrounged the bits to resurrect my old one,she"s not pretty now but we are catching,

·
Registered
728 Posts
unfortunatly the rod tip snapped in 3 places, i wet sanded all the varnish off and wiped it down yesterday, today i go back to it and it starts to creek and it just shattered from the slightest bend :sad: fortunatly i have a beachcaster there i also want to rebuild, hopefully this will go better. thanks codhead for the heads up on that website.
That's a pity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts