World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Team Daiwa Paul Kerry 12 footer (TDPK12M)

After a quick search on the rod, talk of it being unable to compete with newer models and everyone else buying these 14 foot+ rods I was wondering if it was worth buying something better?

I'm casting at it's maximum but would like to get some extra distance if it's available to me (and worth it)

I mainly work clean ground with an Abu 6500. Any recommendations? :g: And I didn't mean a reel change :p

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have a Team Daiwa Paul Kerry 12 footer (TDPK12M)

After a quick search on the rod, talk of it being unable to compete with newer models and everyone else buying these 14 foot+ rods I was wondering if it was worth buying something better?

I'm casting at it's maximum but would like to get some extra distance if it's available to me (and worth it)

I mainly work clean ground with an Abu 6500. Any recommendations? :g: And I didn't mean a reel change :p
pushin this rod to its limits is fair performance :clap3: - wot distance? - what casting technique?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amongst other anglers overhead thump... off the ground when on my own (pendulum seems to get the same distance with me)

When I say get the maximum out of it I mean overhead thump wise, as im usually fishing in a crowd. Im useless judging distance and i've never measured before...:oops: 100-120 yards when tackled up I guess.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Amongst other anglers overhead thump... off the ground when on my own (pendulum seems to get the same distance with me)

When I say get the maximum out of it I mean overhead thump wise, as im usually fishing in a crowd. Im useless judging distance and i've never measured before...:oops: 100-120 yards when tackled up I guess.
suggest 100yds not max available for the rod (unless you use scarborough reel?) - overhead thump can be improved on without too much sweat or time.

so.... suggest seek tuition

To a degree - you cant simply buy distance - with respect - give an unskilled caster a TTR and customised tournament tuned 6500 - and they'll maybe add 5-10 yds for 500 squidlies cost

give em an afternoon's tuition and they'll add 50-100yds for maybe a few quid expenses (or free)

also a proper casting coach will give personal tailored advice on kit - having watched you. sea angler can advise local coaches - or post a query in the casting topic here in WSF

cheers et bon chance

Al

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that most people who ask for advice on here are told to seek casting tuition. Ill take that advice definately, but after the tuition what would you recommend rodwise ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I understand that most people who ask for advice on here are told to seek casting tuition. Ill take that advice definately, but after the tuition what would you recommend rodwise ;)
personally as an all round rod - you can't beat a century CM - maybe a tad weak for really rough ground -

BUT there are many fine rods at much less dosh - and many better for different uses etc - depends on so many factors - venues; species; reel type; casting style (after tuition); size; age; cost etc

and most importantly personal feel - hence advice to get opinion of coach who will have met you, talked to you and watched you cast

cheers

alan

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd go with everything smoothound54 says because it really is gospel.

Casting lessons really are the secret, you'll be amazed.

As for a rod once you've had a few lessons, take a look at the CME. It's got a slightly stiffer tip than the CM and so it's easier to learn the fundamentals of the OTG cast (you'll be able to feel the cast better). It also makes for a great medium ground fishing rod too. The only negative with it is it can feel a bit heavy.

good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts