World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found the site, very interesting, but mostly Southies! Perhaps the North Walians are all fishing, on the Seaboard rather than on the Keyboard so to speak. Must fish South of the Straits one of these days, but surely there must be some news of Anglesey fishing for this Midland Bound Angler?

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If only, poacher bach, there's me marooned these thirty years in the midlands, so am a visitor now to marks that were at the botttom of the garden. Things change though. When I was just a boy I'd of given up bass 'til next May/June by now and be hauling in Codling/whiting/pouting, but these days they still spin for Bass in Winter and there's hardly a Cod to be seen! I blame all these magazines!

Mind you I migrate across to Lowestoft (Barney Wright country) once every 6 weeks or so and lose tackle there instead. Different fishing though with shingle instead of muddy rocks underfoot and hardly any movement up and down the beach over six hours. So from one weekend to another I go over 300 miles West to East stopping off at home half way to get bait from the freezer! Seriously I'm hoping someone from the North can keep US ALL informed. Mind you the Ray's should be making an appearance at Llanddwyn soon. Now there's a place not to catch fish at, beautiful!
Nos dawch hoggia!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
P'raps the fish cant "communicate through the medium of Welsh" (which is the phrase we hear so often) therefore they dont go any further north than Aberystwyth! :lol:
Maybe the "Northies" are out looking for potential Welsh Team rugby players not fishing, thats why they aren't evident at the forum. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strikes me that blueskips' comment covers most Southies in my experience! Seriously though fish can read. They read the tidal flow, bait smell and in clear shallow water the messages coming through from the air. They're bloody good at it whenever I'm about which is why I'm experimenting with groundbait (Fish I hope will be fluent in Amino acid (Welsh variety of course)

Re: rugby union - there's a match in about 30 minutes. I'm land-bound this weekend and gardening - in snow(!) AND watching the game!! You just watch the Dragon they're baited with Peeler and firing to the Horizon!

Thanks for your communication

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's probably because theres a North Wales Sea Angling site. Not bad either! I'm from South Wales but work on Anglesey so get the best of both worlds. I get to fish up here weekdays and back down South at weekends.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
I guess i'm north walian...born in Wrexham and all :D It's strange we have little north walians considering most of the marks in our welsh section are for North Wales. We'll try and sort something out for the next re-launch of the site. What would everybody think about maybe splitting the Welsh board into North and South?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i dont think most discussions on here r about the north, and 2 b honest i dont care, i like 2 no all about how wales in general is fishing, i will chat 2 any1 . i like 2 think we r all friends here, and as far as splitting north and south is concerned , i dont understand why. north south my bum, whats going on with u lot, i enjoy this site, dont mess it up now. thanfs from a really cheesed off angler....thanks i meant...................................

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couldn't agree more poacher bach! Let's NOT split us up! The only reason I started this was to stimulate someone from Anglesey to write in. The other North Wales site is not as easy to access as this one anyway. I could ring Malcom's shop (Is there a better one!?) to find out about catches etc., but he never answers his phone! Anyway I like hearing the news about any catches and venues - I'm bound to learn something new, even from Southies! You never know I might venture down there one of these days, these golden mullet sound interesting and i've not even seen one let alone catch one!

Off to Lowestoft end of next week for 5 days (joys of being retired) to see her mother, and have already requested info. from there although not many responses on the Eastern England site (funny lot the Suf-folk!)

Those of you who get up to Anglesey - SPREAD THE WORD!

Where exactly is this foreshore anyway?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
swelleyman, the foreshore is in cardiff. very good cod spotm it is known all over britain,if u head for cardiff docks, and ask somebody where rover way entrance to the dock is, they will tell u. there r security gates, thats as far as u can go m8, u just park up by there, and follow the next angler u c. and u will c a few, it is a bit of a walk but can b quite worth the effort..

·
Registered
437 Posts
mike jnr
No keep it as it is i say... wales is wales ...i myself dont want to be clicking on extra links specialy after a few bottles of wine ill end up in timbuck two if theres an intrest in this sight from other parts of wales they will use it and i know they will get a very warm welcome from the lads and ladies on this sight ...my wife told me to say that... how about a ladies page she said IM NOT GOING THERE BUT MAYBE SHE HAS A POINT. OH NO HERE WE GO AGAIN sorry.

lendusaworm aka clive

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Thank god for that! I really didn't want to split anybody up, was just floating an idea. The same we did with the England board...which hasn't worked too well (it will be back as one when any new site gets done).

Clive, you wife has an excellent point and one i've been contemplating for a while, from the results of the Poll so far, we have one lady angler on the site, so hello to you! I'm sure there are more...so get voting. Also if anybody knows any lady anglers in their clubs or on the beaches, let them know about this site, we're always open to new people here! This poll will be avaliable to the wider community this week and will be published more widely with the Friday update, which will probably be Thursday as I have to go to Fishguard on Friday ferrying passengers back from an Irish trip (which should be interesting :D) But yes, we need more ladies on this site! It also seems you are all upto date with your PC's IE 6 and equiv. all round, which is nice to see :D

The sites page hits are now at 250,000 a month increasing by 40,000 a month (avg), and forum registrations are up from 3 (yes 3) only 6 months ago to nearly 80 a week, which is a much more respectable figure. The problem is most of those people never post on the forum, of the nearly 720 registered members around 50 of you post on a consistent basis and only under 1% of the total unique visitors to this site on a monthly basis register for the forums. One of the most amazing things about this is that this welsh section of the forum is now the most popular by far, outstripping the general forum (which in theroy should be the busiest) by around 5 posts to 1 so, well done lads. A special mention to Poacher, who has to be the busiest forum member we've ever had! 200 posts in just over a month! :D

A small note about the forums however, is we will be moving to the vBulletin forum software soon. This is very fast and very efficient and will mean those of you on 56k modems will notice a much faster increase in speed when using our forums. This change will be a while off though, so keep enjoying the forum as you are. We're also confident all the old accounts and posts will move over without a glitch, so you don't need to worry about re-registrations etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
All,
i'm all for keeping this forum as one for Wales. I already feel confident enough to say that i've learnt big time of everyone and hope them from me.
Wales is not that big as country's go, and a trip from South to North (or visa-versa) for a days or weekends fishing is not out of the question.
Keep the reports coming in from all areas, boat and shore, cos i really enjoy reading and adding my comments to different posts.
We've gotta a good thing going boy's (and girls) lets keep it going.
JD

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. poacher. Have copied and pasted it for a future trip.
Re: No posting. Perhaps most are scared of appearing daft and won't ask what they consider obvious questions. C'mon lads you're never that clever. When i'm out and someone else is catching, even on my own bit of beach I ASK - bait, rigs etc. I do occasionally get a stony silence, so I fill the silence with more questions!

Otherwise it cud b spelin and a bit of shame? Doesn't matter a damn! Just join in! No one is going to mark your work, just read it.

Re: the Welsh ability (need?) to post and being the best site for it. I'm still waiting for a response from the Eastern england site!!! Perhaps they're afraid thet i'll catch next week's codling! (There might even be a lone whiting swimming up and down waiting to be fed)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
cheers mike.. i cant stop yapping, thats why ive done so many posts, my wife has 2 gag me somtimes, cheeky devil. with the welsh being the more used site, that just goes to show how friendly we guys are, and helpful. i didnt get no cod down shore yesterday, so can some bugger help me out with that, heehee.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm off to Lowestoft with my Rubber Shark (The BEST!) and a Feeder rod to try 'The Method' with some groundbait' I only catch there when even the small-boys'-dogs are catching, so i'm going to scratch about as well as being conventional (Yes I actually said that!) Tell you and, as I've not had a response from there, THEM, how I got on.

Think I'll leave the web address in a couple of tackle shops as I'm ass-uming they can read and write!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know, I go away for a few days fishing and everything changes!!!
I posted a couple of questions a few weeks ago regarding the fishing at Holyhead breakwater and Ty-Croes and got no replies so I was under the impression that everyone in North Wales had found a new way of filling their leisure time. Obviously, and gladly, I was wrong. Me and three of my fishing buddies travelled from the North East of Scotland ( the Moray Firth to be exact ) to fish a competition on Holyhead Breakwater Tuesday gone, a trip of 488 miles one way. We fished Ty-Croes( what is now the racing circuit on Anglesey ) on the Monday night but it was a little bit too rough to fish safely. We did have Pollack,Whiting and a Doggie before we decided to run away bravely to the pub to discuss tactics and tie another load of rigs to replace the ones that we had lost.
The competition itself produced a mixed bag with myself getting a 30 cm (we were counting length not weight) Wrasse from right under my feet, a couple of Whiting and probably the smallest Dab I have ever seen. All was going well until a seal decided to start patrolling the inner harbour and scaring all the fish away, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Sadly it will be a long time before I am able to return to Anglesey so all I can say is make the most of it lads and lasses. When you spend as much time fishing in the Moray Firth as we do and scratch for the odd coalfish or undersize codling you come to appreciate what you have down there, I know cos I lived there 10 years ago and fished at least once a week. You only miss it when it's gone etc,etc.
Anyway enough of this drivel, if you live in North Wales go fishing and enjoy yourselves. We now have to work out where our next trip is going to be and it will probably be Aberdeen, a round trip of 180 miles just to guarantee catching a fish.
Sorry about the waffle,
All the best,
John D..

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See, Southies there is fishing in the North! Glad you had some fish Phantom and did the sound of the racing cars put you off! Filthy bottom at Ty Croes but worth it when fish are in.

I'm in Lowestoft and watching others pull in VERY SMALL Whiting. Getting bites close in but must find smaller hooks for tomorrow. One bloke had a carrier bag full of thse toothy sardines and didn't like it when I suggested that perhaps he could feed his cat from Tescos rather than the North beach. Fishermen, one who overheard me told me that catfood makes great mixer for ground bait (I'm experimenting this week with the powdery stuff)

Can't get used to the pounding surf and the tintinabulatory shingle - give me kelp any day!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts