World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the above outfit at the minute (which i am considering flogging) however if i was to keep it and take it on my trip to norway in 3 weeks time would it handle the fish of a lifetime if i managed to hook one?

I am talking a 20 to 30lb cod?

I use the reel with either 20lb braid and 50lb nylon leader, or with 18lb mono and a 50lb leader.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes easily. No different to any other rod make sure you play it right as for the reel it would do it with ease. loosened drag and you will be fine. Some rock/rough ground anglers are moving over to bigger fixed spools due to the ability to haul in line very fast. I have landed big smooth hound on this very set up. It worked really well with no problems.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Don't see y not, a couple of years ago a Nepalese guy use a 15 .9ft Penn powerstix rod to catch a 19 lb bass off dungeness.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Don't see y not, a couple of years ago a Nepalese guy use a 15 .9ft Penn powerstix rod to catch a 19 lb bass off dungeness.
Not sure if he was Nepalese, of Asian origins for sure, but if my memory serves me right it was a 13ft powerstix I had a pair of 15 .9ftt powerstix, best I had on them was a 4lb bass but I am sure it could handle much more. Cannot comment on the reel.... Cheers, Luis

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I had a 13Lbs + barbel out of the river avon at Pershore. Tackle 13ft match rod, 3.6lbs mono stright through, abu closed face 506, stick float.
No.14 hook. No snags in the swim, 20 mins later fish of a life time. Use your tackle correctly, jobs a good un. Hope you enjoy your trip Dave.

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
in answer to your question , yes , easily . I had the biggest fish of my life , a powerhouse 20lb 6oz stingray that took off on the clutch for a long way , i had to wait till it stopped lol , then i eventually got him in , all this on the cheapest nastiest £20 rod iv ever owned , think iv still got it though never use it now ,,,,, it did the job AS did the reel in those early runs , your reel i rate highly , at the time my reel was no big deal but the clutch worked fine

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Thats some fish on light gear Dave, maybe you should change your name.

LOL

Dave.
Tatics, laying on under my nose with meat. About 15 mins proir to that fishing the same method. I landed the biggest tench I ever caught. I only stopped trotting down, 18 hook casters hemp to have a sarni. Jammie me. Sea fishing to me is crude, but I love it. Cheers, Barbel Dave.

·
Registered
407 Posts
A penn surfblaster has a 12kg drag (I think?) Which is enough to bully any cold water fish into submission. I have landed a 100lb + rough tail ray on a shakespeare salt rod and grauvell zenith with no probs. I now use a penn surfblaster on a afaw big beach for ballooning tuna heads out for hammerheads and I have no worries about getting in a 150lb fish. Just need a take then I can be certain!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right i decided to get a leeds icon power to use with the surf blaster.

I just don't get along with the rampage and its up for sale. after 20 years or more of using stiffer rods with multipliers i think the step to full on continental set up was just too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts