World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its no good crying about " fishing should be free " societies selfish idiots have stopped all that

would a fee to fish say porthcawl pier do anything to get rid of the vermin...and I dont mean the rats who feed on the discarded mackeral......who leave litter, hooks, urinate , drink cans of lager and throw them in the sea, cut the heads off dogfish etc ?

in response to a thread lower down it really is disgusting down there

these people may not be decent fishermen but fishermen they are

they charge to fish mumbles.....is it kept clean and tidy down there ?

the deeps is also a disgrace but how that can be sectioned off and charged is a mystery

my mate lives in a house by the cattle grid and often walks the deeps he thinks fishing should be banned there, its a bit of an extreme view but one can see his point

is this a south wales problem ?

we do seem to have more than our fair share of selfish litter louts down this way

I mean I am sure we have all filled our share of black bags down there but one day perhaps the powers that be will just say enough is enough.....we are fencing off porthcawl prom....you will have to pay £20 for a years permit key and anyone leaving litter will be banned ...the £20 we raise from permits will pay for a security hut ......no permit , no fishing

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sorry but FISHING SHOULD BE FREE, especially in the sea. Fishing should be free EVERYWHERE. Education or better regulation would be better than charging. In this day and age there is a price for everything, lets not let fishing go that way too.

·
Registered
784 Posts
i know where this is going to end up:whistling

·
Registered
82 Posts
i also think that fishing should be free especially in the sea, don't get me wrong I think that maybe a yearly rod licence wouldn't be too bad of an idea if the income was spent on improving the education of anglers. But a toll to fish venues such as Porthcawl would be a travesty, especially as somebody who is not fishing could just walk past and drop litter

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
Sorry but FISHING SHOULD BE FREE, especially in the sea. Fishing should be free EVERYWHERE. Education or better regulation would be better than charging. In this day and age there is a price for everything, lets not let fishing go that way too.
Ok how would you suggest litter is controlled, mumbles pier needs a lot of work done to it however at least when you walk on in the morning it's not covered in litter

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
I fished there earlier in the week and there is no way that the litter was dropped by anyone else but anglers. I fished the lower level, yet from there I could see large nests of both red and yellow line stuck on the wall where it had been lobbed over the top. Nor can the bait packets etc be blamed on anyone else. As for the bottles and cans, well that could be anyone, but I know who I would be betting on.

Whilst I would not like to see a venue being a pay per fish job, it will be what will happen, or worse, fishing will be banned because of the mess.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
its no good crying about " fishing should be free " societies selfish idiots have stopped all that

would a fee to fish say porthcawl pier do anything to get rid of the vermin...and I dont mean the rats who feed on the discarded mackeral......who leave litter, hooks, urinate , drink cans of lager and throw them in the sea, cut the heads off dogfish etc ?

in response to a thread lower down it really is disgusting down there

these people may not be decent fishermen but fishermen they are

they charge to fish mumbles.....is it kept clean and tidy down there ?

the deeps is also a disgrace but how that can be sectioned off and charged is a mystery

my mate lives in a house by the cattle grid and often walks the deeps he thinks fishing should be banned there, its a bit of an extreme view but one can see his point

is this a south wales problem ?

we do seem to have more than our fair share of selfish litter louts down this way

I mean I am sure we have all filled our share of black bags down there but one day perhaps the powers that be will just say enough is enough.....we are fencing off porthcawl prom....you will have to pay £20 for a years permit key and anyone leaving litter will be banned ...the £20 we raise from permits will pay for a security hut ......no permit , no fishing
Don't get me started :eek: Porthcawl Pier used to be a stinkpit 40 years ago. It obviously still is! What a surprise not. It's difficult to know what to do. Education of the masses? It's appears to be a culture thing. The UK is well known for how dirty it is. I'm sure they are coating the pavement with Gum Arabic in parts of Bridgend. I guess everyone thinks it's not their problem, being lazy barstewards they expect someone else to clean up after them.

Si

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
like simonb says porthcawl has been a tip for many years(and i'v fished it for 35 of them).i fished mumbles yeserday and watched every angler put their rubbish in the bins as they used it and those that left before me cleand up before they went. why because they knew if they were caught or reported for littering they would be banned from the venue. if you open your mouth at venues like porthcawl you get told " who the f**** ar you the pier police". and as they are usualy in a group they are very brave. i would like fishing to be free as much as the next angler but i would rather pay a small toll then lose the venues as i happening in some parts.i am not in favor af an anual permit as this would discorage geuine anglers that only use the venues a couple of times a year

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
like simonb says porthcawl has been a tip for many years(and i'v fished it for 35 of them).i fished mumbles yeserday and watched every angler put their rubbish in the bins as they used it and those that left before me cleand up before they went. why because they knew if they were caught or reported for littering they would be banned from the venue. if you open your mouth at venues like porthcawl you get told " who the f**** ar you the pier police". and as they are usualy in a group they are very brave. i would like fishing to be free as much as the next angler but i would rather pay a small toll then lose the venues as i happening in some parts.i am not in favor af an anual permit as this would discorage geuine anglers that only use the venues a couple of times a year
It would be easily solved if the council put a camera on the end of the pier. It would be Shame and fine then. :)

Si

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
i agree with you all fishing should be free to all and education is the way forward but you can only educate those who want educating pwpcawl has always been a stinkpit probably always will i have been in contact with council in porthcawl they will not put bins out there they have in the past and idiots have burned them or dispatched them into the sea the street cleaners are supposed to clean it on a daily basis monday to saturday but they obviously dont , all we can do as decent anglers on this forum and all forums is if we see rubbish left at a site is pick it up bag it bin it none of us like picking other peoples ****e up .
also why cant the bait industry and tackle shops use a biodegradeable alternative to the plastic that will never go away but thats another discussion we wont get into that one.
anyway had my say of down the pit now clean up a bit hopefully fish a lot tight lines and happy day to all

·
Registered
255 Posts
Probably get flamed for this:-

Fishing should be free BUT I'd be happy to pay a small fee to fish a pier (say Porthcawl) if there was an official roaming about and keeping riff raff away as I don't really want to fish from a dustbin and have to keep a check on my gear all the time incase some of it 'walks off'.

To pay wages etc they could further subsidize by selling basic rigs, bait, etc.

Would probably only work during the summer months (but then that's when somthing like this would be needed).

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't get me started :eek: Porthcawl Pier used to be a stinkpit 40 years ago. It obviously still is! What a surprise not. It's difficult to know what to do. Education of the masses? It's appears to be a culture thing. The UK is well known for how dirty it is. I'm sure they are coating the pavement with Gum Arabic in parts of Bridgend. I guess everyone thinks it's not their problem, being lazy barstewards they expect someone else to clean up after them.

Si

I would HATE to see it, but I think it will eventually happen

the question is...will it make a difference

now I understand that some of the swansea piers were made permit only a few years ago but even so, they were still ruined by idiots

either these people didnt pay and left litter or they were permit payers and still left litter

as an ex coarse fisherman, its no certainty, I used to fish private waters with high security with a fee of 100 pound a year to fish.....the places still sometimes got left in a state....that was permit holders !!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I fished there earlier in the week and there is no way that the litter was dropped by anyone else but anglers. I fished the lower level, yet from there I could see large nests of both red and yellow line stuck on the wall where it had been lobbed over the top. Nor can the bait packets etc be blamed on anyone else. As for the bottles and cans, well that could be anyone, but I know who I would be betting on.

Whilst I would not like to see a venue being a pay per fish job, it will be what will happen, or worse, fishing will be banned because of the mess.
It wasn't anybody off this forum who left any of that litter!:whistling::whistling::whistling:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Four words spring to mind...."Long and short arm". Have never fished either, but I do hear of the messes.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
we may not like it but we have police which we pay taxes for to deal I with idiots who steal, we dont do that but we still have to pay for them

and thats what we decent fishermen will have to eventually face....paying a bit to fish venues to keep the idiots at bay, even though WE dont do anything wrong

the litter left on the pier is anglers, nobody else

so I think that the council will one day install cameras etc like they do in some towns that can identify people

and those involved in abusing others,leaving litter and acting in an anti social way will soon be picked out

I think thats likely to happen before its walled off and fenced and made permit only...but that is going to happen....most sea wall venues in the country are subject to this and many you cannot fish unless you buy a permit or are a member of a sea angling club that have the money to control the place through members

low water fishing venues do not get so many idiots and litter louts , its the easy access high water places

mind you I went down the white light in barry which is very dangerous access and there were some right bullies and tossers down there, leaving litter and throwing doggies back in the sea by chucking em as high as they could in the air and laughing when they hit the water hard from 50 foot up

what a shame it would be one day if these poor people slipped and broke their ankle on the rocks and could never fish again but that seems to happen to decent people, not morons

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
This will probably kick something off, but what about a law that allows fishing gear to be confiscated off litter louts

·
Team Banter
4,845 Posts
yes place,s like porthcawl pier are a disgrace but that,s only because it is allowed to happen ,if you take the barrage for example you wont find that in the state that porthcawl is becase they have got cameras monitoring the whole area and they do have people patrolling as well ,maybe it is an approach that could be adopted elsewhere,tightlines foreshore

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
This will probably kick something off, but what about a law that allows fishing gear to be confiscated off litter louts
Either:-
A. Wouldn't work. The pond scum would just steal more kit. :(
B. Who would confiscate it? Could be a good way of scamming the anglers and selling on Ebay :(

Si

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Hi Gents
In the few months I have been on this website this has cropped upon many occasions. We are not going to get the police or the council involved in the clean up , firstly the prisons are full, secondly it cost to much to process through the courts and thirdly, no counselor is going to be elected on this ticket.
There is, so to be 20 good anglers to every scumbag, so the answer is for those good anglers to take not a black bin bag but a carrier bag to clean some of the mess up. Simple maths will will prove that in no time at all these venues would be a lot cleaner. There are lots of anglers on here claiming they do clean up after louts, and I don't doubt this for a minute. But there are far to many of us of which I am one, sitting on the fence. If we are serious about preserving these spots we ALL have to not talk but do something about it :hammer:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts