World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only gone and booked a trip with the SA Guys I fished Madagascar with for this April.
Price was the deciding factor, very good value indeed, id of been mad to say NO.

Camping and beach/Surf fishing
Schedule below.
Washing in rivers with Crocodiles Eeeeeeek

Main Target Species :
Game Fish

Giant Kingfish - up to 50kg
Green Spot Kingfish - <6kg
Yellowfin Kingfish - <8kg
Brassy Kingfish - <5kg
Barracuda - <15kg
Cuta - <20kg
Pompano - <12kg
Wave Garrick - <3kg
Other Edibles
Natal Stumpnose – <5kg
Speckled Snapper - <6kg
Matahari Snapper - <6kg
**** Grunters - <4kg
Spotted Grunter - <6kg
Spade Fish - <5kg
Snappers
Cave Bass
Inedibles
Brown Rays - 10 - 30kg
Honeycomb Rays - 20 - 130kg
Giant Sand Sharks - 15 – 140kg
Blackfin Sharks - 15 - 150kg
Zambezi Sharks - 60 - 200kg
Spinner Sharks - 30 – 100kg
The Elephant Park as with the rest of Mozambique is definitely a Summer location with the season ending at the end of May.
Ideally if we go here we would want to go sooner rather than later (however I believe the biggest GT's come out in April/May).
The Elephant Park is a reserve that starts just north of Ponte Mamoli in Southern Mozambique and runs many kilometres north
ending at Santa Maria on the point of the bay of Maputo directly opposite Inhaca Island.
Besides camp Carlos and the hotel on the point, there is zero development or even permanent structure existing
within the rest of the reserve. There are about 4 or 5 other camp sites along the way which are nothing more than designated
spots in the bush where you can setup your camp and equipment. Unless things have changed, there is nothing at these camps including
running water or electricity. You basically need to take everything with you and be prepared to wash in one of the many fresh
water lakes with the crocodiles. I was last there about 10 years ago and at the time there were hardly even any locals to speak of.
With this big area being so rough and rustic, it means that the entire coastline here is virtually untouched with the people that do go
here not being able to stay for very long anyway.
As a result, this area of the coast is teaming with life and has very healthy populations of residential fish which in turn attracts the predators.
The shoreline is very similar to areas like Kosi Bay, Maphelan and Cape Vidal with many small points forming a bay followed by long stretches of beach.
Most of the points are made up of low lying reef and shelves that run out into the sea with some drop-offs.
The whole area as a package offers access to some of the best fishing waters with lots of variety and options. Best of all, was that on my previous trips
there were no hassles about using a vehicle on the beach, making fishing really easy and comfortable, and extremely easy to explore and find
the productive spots.
A big BUT though, is that we need to make sure driving on the beach is still permitted. If not, we will need to investigate further to make sure we can access
descent spots. Ponta Millibangalala (further south in the park) would be the alternative - but is far more rustic and possibly not suitable for the lady's.
Assuming beach access is not a problem, we can expect the following fishing options :
Santa Maria Point / Hells Gate
Camp Carlos is situated right on the beach on the point overlooking Inhaca Island separated by a 300m channel.
The water here is protected and typically calm and flat. But this channel feeds the southern end of the Bay of Maputo
and carries immense amounts of water as the pushing and pulling tides fill or drain the basin. Thus the water is deep and
has very strong currents. As far as I can remember, the currents may be too strong to fish with a bait other than at the turn of the
tides, but I know over the years some serious game fish have been caught in the channel by Fly & Lure fisherman off boats.
So I think we would have a good chance throwing artificial lures here in the mornings, evenings and outgoing tides as we
can cast over half way across the channel. On the outgoing tide in the evenings we may also have a chance at floating baits
out on balloons into the ocean
Beaches and Bays
South from the point at Santa Maria, there is about 150km of pristine untouched beaches with numerous small bays and points. The numbers, quality and variety of fish
that this stretch of beach produces is by FAR better than anything we have in South Africa and the the rest of the known spots in Mozambique. 30+ kg Kingfish are a
common catch and in my 2 trips and a total of 5 days fishing, I managed to bag one of 35kg and lost another. Even the very elusive Southern Pompano consistently
come out in big numbers during the summer months when targeted properly. Exotic species like Speckled Snapper, Blue Emperor, Indian Mirror and even
the rare Blue Kingfish are caught with some regularity. Although most anglers come here to target these edibles, there are equally good opportunities to catch
record sized Flat fish such as Sandie's, Honeycombs and Brown Rays. One evening fishing a wadeable bank with my cousin, we slid out a total of 4 bonny heads.
Just before sunset I had the first run. A Blackfin of about 80kg jumped out the water and spun me off. An hour later my next bait went, and after about 20min I
lost a big GT that broke the swivel on my slide. My cousin then hooked and managed to land the biggest Brown Ray I've ever seen. It wasn’t long and then my 3rd
bait was eaten. After 3 hours trying to stop a Honeycomb on its 1st run my braid parted with very little line left on the spool. We stopped fishing and went to go
drink instead.
Along the beaches we look for banks with nice channels to target species like Stumpies, Pompano, and various smaller Flat Fish. In sections where there is good
working water over rock and reef, we target all the edibles and GT's. For evening and night sessions we look out for holes in the banks, or banks that we can wade out
enough to cast over the backline. Here we will fish big baits, or live baits for Sandie's, Flat Fish, Sharks and big GT's
Ponta Milibangalala
Mili
, as its affectionately called, is the other best option in the Elephant Park. It is situated about 75km north of the Kosi Bay border roughly 1/3 of the way up the
park. Although only 75km, it's still a good 2 1/2 hrs drive from the border with a good 4 x 4. The drive is an exciting one through beautiful country side without another
soul around. It also adds to the excitement of the occasion as one realises they are getting further and further away from civilisation. Its also an excellent opportunity
to quench ones thirst after a long hot day in the car.
The Mili camp is quite central to a number of other productive Points and Bays and generally most of these areas will be fished for different species during a tip.
The main attraction for this camp is the fact that there is a guide established here who has already set up a big camp with all the camping necessities. This includes
tents, marquees, gazebo's, fridge/freezers, generator for power and temporary ablution areas. We would only need to bring our fishing gear and a few extra's.
Apart from these big convenience benefits, the guide (Willie Vorster) is an Ex Protea Angler and knows the area extremely well. We wont have to worry about
where to go as we will get put onto the fish with all the appropriate techniques right away. This will also help us learn the area far quicker.
Camp Carlos http://campcarlos.co.za/

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I've only gone and booked a trip with the SA Guys I fished Madagascar with for this April.
Price was the deciding factor, very good value indeed, id of been mad to say NO.

Camping and beach/Surf fishing
Schedule below.
Washing in rivers with Crocodiles Eeeeeeek

Main Target Species :
Game Fish

Giant Kingfish - up to 50kg
Green Spot Kingfish - <6kg
Yellowfin Kingfish - <8kg
Brassy Kingfish - <5kg
Barracuda - <15kg
Cuta - <20kg
Pompano - <12kg
Wave Garrick - <3kg
Other Edibles
Natal Stumpnose – <5kg
Speckled Snapper - <6kg
Matahari Snapper - <6kg
**** Grunters - <4kg
Spotted Grunter - <6kg
Spade Fish - <5kg
Snappers
Cave Bass
Inedibles
Brown Rays - 10 - 30kg
Honeycomb Rays - 20 - 130kg
Giant Sand Sharks - 15 – 140kg
Blackfin Sharks - 15 - 150kg
Zambezi Sharks - 60 - 200kg
Spinner Sharks - 30 – 100kg
The Elephant Park as with the rest of Mozambique is definitely a Summer location with the season ending at the end of May.
Ideally if we go here we would want to go sooner rather than later (however I believe the biggest GT's come out in April/May).
The Elephant Park is a reserve that starts just north of Ponte Mamoli in Southern Mozambique and runs many kilometres north
ending at Santa Maria on the point of the bay of Maputo directly opposite Inhaca Island.
Besides camp Carlos and the hotel on the point, there is zero development or even permanent structure existing
within the rest of the reserve. There are about 4 or 5 other camp sites along the way which are nothing more than designated
spots in the bush where you can setup your camp and equipment. Unless things have changed, there is nothing at these camps including
running water or electricity. You basically need to take everything with you and be prepared to wash in one of the many fresh
water lakes with the crocodiles. I was last there about 10 years ago and at the time there were hardly even any locals to speak of.
With this big area being so rough and rustic, it means that the entire coastline here is virtually untouched with the people that do go
here not being able to stay for very long anyway.
As a result, this area of the coast is teaming with life and has very healthy populations of residential fish which in turn attracts the predators.
The shoreline is very similar to areas like Kosi Bay, Maphelan and Cape Vidal with many small points forming a bay followed by long stretches of beach.
Most of the points are made up of low lying reef and shelves that run out into the sea with some drop-offs.
The whole area as a package offers access to some of the best fishing waters with lots of variety and options. Best of all, was that on my previous trips
there were no hassles about using a vehicle on the beach, making fishing really easy and comfortable, and extremely easy to explore and find
the productive spots.
A big BUT though, is that we need to make sure driving on the beach is still permitted. If not, we will need to investigate further to make sure we can access
descent spots. Ponta Millibangalala (further south in the park) would be the alternative - but is far more rustic and possibly not suitable for the lady's.
Assuming beach access is not a problem, we can expect the following fishing options :
Santa Maria Point / Hells Gate
Camp Carlos is situated right on the beach on the point overlooking Inhaca Island separated by a 300m channel.
The water here is protected and typically calm and flat. But this channel feeds the southern end of the Bay of Maputo
and carries immense amounts of water as the pushing and pulling tides fill or drain the basin. Thus the water is deep and
has very strong currents. As far as I can remember, the currents may be too strong to fish with a bait other than at the turn of the
tides, but I know over the years some serious game fish have been caught in the channel by Fly & Lure fisherman off boats.
So I think we would have a good chance throwing artificial lures here in the mornings, evenings and outgoing tides as we
can cast over half way across the channel. On the outgoing tide in the evenings we may also have a chance at floating baits
out on balloons into the ocean
Beaches and Bays
South from the point at Santa Maria, there is about 150km of pristine untouched beaches with numerous small bays and points. The numbers, quality and variety of fish
that this stretch of beach produces is by FAR better than anything we have in South Africa and the the rest of the known spots in Mozambique. 30+ kg Kingfish are a
common catch and in my 2 trips and a total of 5 days fishing, I managed to bag one of 35kg and lost another. Even the very elusive Southern Pompano consistently
come out in big numbers during the summer months when targeted properly. Exotic species like Speckled Snapper, Blue Emperor, Indian Mirror and even
the rare Blue Kingfish are caught with some regularity. Although most anglers come here to target these edibles, there are equally good opportunities to catch
record sized Flat fish such as Sandie's, Honeycombs and Brown Rays. One evening fishing a wadeable bank with my cousin, we slid out a total of 4 bonny heads.
Just before sunset I had the first run. A Blackfin of about 80kg jumped out the water and spun me off. An hour later my next bait went, and after about 20min I
lost a big GT that broke the swivel on my slide. My cousin then hooked and managed to land the biggest Brown Ray I've ever seen. It wasn’t long and then my 3rd
bait was eaten. After 3 hours trying to stop a Honeycomb on its 1st run my braid parted with very little line left on the spool. We stopped fishing and went to go
drink instead.
Along the beaches we look for banks with nice channels to target species like Stumpies, Pompano, and various smaller Flat Fish. In sections where there is good
working water over rock and reef, we target all the edibles and GT's. For evening and night sessions we look out for holes in the banks, or banks that we can wade out
enough to cast over the backline. Here we will fish big baits, or live baits for Sandie's, Flat Fish, Sharks and big GT's
Ponta Milibangalala
Mili
, as its affectionately called, is the other best option in the Elephant Park. It is situated about 75km north of the Kosi Bay border roughly 1/3 of the way up the
park. Although only 75km, it's still a good 2 1/2 hrs drive from the border with a good 4 x 4. The drive is an exciting one through beautiful country side without another
soul around. It also adds to the excitement of the occasion as one realises they are getting further and further away from civilisation. Its also an excellent opportunity
to quench ones thirst after a long hot day in the car.
The Mili camp is quite central to a number of other productive Points and Bays and generally most of these areas will be fished for different species during a tip.
The main attraction for this camp is the fact that there is a guide established here who has already set up a big camp with all the camping necessities. This includes
tents, marquees, gazebo's, fridge/freezers, generator for power and temporary ablution areas. We would only need to bring our fishing gear and a few extra's.
Apart from these big convenience benefits, the guide (Willie Vorster) is an Ex Protea Angler and knows the area extremely well. We wont have to worry about
where to go as we will get put onto the fish with all the appropriate techniques right away. This will also help us learn the area far quicker.
Camp Carlos http://campcarlos.co.za/
:)With the SAR so low against the GB£ anywhere in SA/Namibia is great value.;) I'm currently trying to get one of my mates to go on a shore bronzie trip to Namibia April time as I don't fancy paying a single supplement, although the price has come down due to getting double the Rand I got last time.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow yeah that's pretty brave given the results last time, but I suspect you're wise on this: the problems as you reported it didn't seem to be caused by the operator you were with, so shouldn't follow you to this new destination! Best of luck :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No charter this time, purely shore, beach, rock and river estuary fishing.
Few of the SA guys from my Madagascar trip organised it, with the lead organiser being very experienced with Shark fishing.

Although not the main targets, he has promised I will catch some :)

I just need a break and the costs of this trip are very low indeed. Making 1 can not refuse :)

Bait, lure, live bait fishing should produce a mixed bag of fish, with fish being part of our meals each day, so edibles will be well sought after too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
:)With the SAR so low against the GB£ anywhere in SA/Namibia is great value.;) I'm currently trying to get one of my mates to go on a shore bronzie trip to Namibia April time as I don't fancy paying a single supplement, although the price has come down due to getting double the Rand I got last time.
Will post pics this week when I get time to (most nights in late due to bronzies), Namibia is fishing really well right now :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts