World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little follow on to a point made on another thread,which fish would you say gave the best "fight" once hooked,a ballen wrasse,or a red summer codling.

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
Wrasse - no doubt about it !!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would have to say Ballin Wrasse,these fish punch well above their weight.

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
yup wrasse any day i can remeber when i started sea fishing i was using paternosters and caught 2 wrasse same time at pittenweem though my arm was gonna drop off

think in a 4hr session between me and wife we had 23 wrasse

cant beat it

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would certainly be wrasse for me too.I was really lucky last year in stumbling on a mark,I mean cleverly sussing out a mark,where you get good sized wrasse on soft ground.I started fishing it with a carp rod and 10lb line,help ma crivvens,what a carry on when you hook a 3lb plus,nearly has you in the water.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yeah wrasse again. You always know straight away when a wrasse has taken the bait, such a violent hit, quality fight all the way.

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
im gonna take my daughter fishing in hols try for a few wrasse easy fish to catch not fussy what they eat

plus its simple setups sliding ledger

·
Team Jedi
1,639 Posts
No contest Wrasse every time get a 4lber and you will know all about it :)(not that i've had a 4lber for a long time)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wrasse for me to - although perhaps that's because i've never had a cod from the shore :schmoll: I did catch a 2lber on my sons wee five foot rod and my goodness we couldn't get it up the wall. Had to hand it up. Wrasse have definately been the fish that hooked my son on fishing. Summer and wrasse, a heady combination. Winter and ... er... a couple of coalies.

Blenny

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wrasse every time. But I don't find them easy to catch as they are fussy about what they will take. And, they often just nibble at the end of the bait and you have to be wary of striking too soon - you can see this when float fishing and the float bobs up and down quite a few times before it dives under. This is usually when the Wrasse is a small one but I have had a 4lb one that had loads of little nibbles before fully taking the bait. My favourite fishing, for Wrasse with a float off rocks and in deep water (it helps if it is a sunny day)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wrasse on light tackle is great fun - 2-6lb rod and 4lb braid - yeeeeeeee hah!:)

Sadly due to their habitat it's not always possible to fish for them with light gear - even on a charter boat using a 6oz+ lead kills the fight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ah would say wrasse,got one a couple of years ago at babbit ness,near kingsbarns, about 4lb , even on heavy gear it put up a good fight.
forgot what a cod feels like,been that long since a got one,though the day will come!!!:unsure:

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Deffo wrasse on the float on light tackle,Although small codling on the same tackle also put up a spirited fight.
Wrasse win hands down though.:)

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
wrasse everytime once they hit you its like an express train and if you get a heavy one hang on and hope you are as good as you think you are:notworthy :notworthy

·
Team Hardcore(Scotland)
940 Posts
On light tackle or float fishing wrasse gives you a good fight even the small ones.........but there even harder if fishing over weed as they grab your bait and dive into the weed..............also had a few pollock on the float,now theres a fish that can give a good battle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts