World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around South Cornish rock marks will the Wrasse take limpet or will I need rag and crab baits to be sure of reasonable fish! I'm down your way in early July and will do a bit of rockhopping if the weather is kind to me!

·
Registered
996 Posts
I got to say i love limpets as wrasse bait but if i am targeting specially i will take along some rag and if i have time to collect some hardback crabs

Don't know if i am teaching granny to suck eggs but i also reckon a float may catch more but a ledger will sort out the bigger fish but your catch rate can suffer a bit

·
Registered
696 Posts
if you want to catch the bigger ones, your best bet is mullet gear with a small 1cm cube of mackeral. Use light floats and 6lb line. And a size 8 xtra strong barbed specimen hook. If you want the smaller ones use rag and lug, crab is ok but tends to get medium sized ones,

where abouts are you gonna be, il give you a few good venues if i can

martin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you want to catch the bigger ones, your best bet is mullet gear with a small 1cm cube of mackeral. Use light floats and 6lb line. And a size 8 xtra strong barbed specimen hook. If you want the smaller ones use rag and lug, crab is ok but tends to get medium sized ones,

where abouts are you gonna be, il give you a few good venues if i can

martin
I'll be staying in Gorran Haven so will walk around the coastal path from there & find some marks. I might also get down the lizard for a session but as the family will be in tow that will probably be somewhere like Mullion Harbour for an hour or two (until the kids get bored!).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is interesting stuff - as getting freash bait when on holiday is always a hassle - I'll give the mackeral cubes a go for sure! Limpet I can get and a few crabs when rockpooling with the kids! I'll let you know how I get on!

·
Registered
706 Posts
if you want to catch the bigger ones, your best bet is mullet gear with a small 1cm cube of mackeral. Use light floats and 6lb line. And a size 8 xtra strong barbed specimen hook.
I take it you are joking?!!:unsure: :unsure: :)

Since when have big wrasse needed mullet tactics?!! Plus you have very little chance of landing one like this... it would simply swim to the nearest crevice, there would be now way of stopping it... and if you tried you would get broken off. I'm all for sporting fishing, but this just a little extreme!:blink:

·
Registered
696 Posts
actually this is serious!!! it first happened when light gearing of the rocks. By luck really, but dont knock it till you try it.

And if you cant handle a 4-5 wrasse on 6lb line then that says it all for your type of fishing, rex hunt springs to mind. I do alot of carp fishing and a wrasse on 6lb line is nothing compared to a 15lb carp on 6lb line.

And i know some club anglers from helston and mounts bay who catch 4-5lb wrasse every year using this method.

Why is this extreme, when people do the same for mullet, sometimes of much bigger size?

martin

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have found that if I use line under 15 pound the wrasse just bite straight through it. The last trip I made saw me losing two big fish on ten pound line which were bitten clean through. I use a light carp rod, I just up the line strength.

Also I have struggled to get a good wrasse session on mackeral. A rag worm tipped off with limpet is my favoured option. You may have to battle through the smaller ones but you get the biggies in the end.

·
Registered
370 Posts
actually this is serious!!! it first happened when light gearing of the rocks. By luck really, but dont knock it till you try it.

And if you cant handle a 4-5 wrasse on 6lb line then that says it all for your type of fishing, rex hunt springs to mind. I do alot of carp fishing and a wrasse on 6lb line is nothing compared to a 15lb carp on 6lb line.

And i know some club anglers from helston and mounts bay who catch 4-5lb wrasse every year using this method.

Why is this extreme, when people do the same for mullet, sometimes of much bigger size?

martin
4lb wrasse+6lb line+1 barnacle =1 fish with hook and line trailing

·
Registered
706 Posts

martin
I'm not saying it's not possible, just that it's pointless!

Wrasse live in amongst and around the rocks, and will nearly always head straight down for the nearest snag upon hooking. You might be lucky to hook one which stays in more open water, then you have a chance as they tire very quickly.

There is a BIG difference between a wrasse and mullet or carp, both of which tend to fight in open water, then it's just a case of keeping them away from any obstructions and tiring them out. Wrasse are an entirely different prospect, the first 5 seconds or so is usually crucial - get it's head up and you are laughing... how you going to do that on 6lb line?! The odd daft one may swim sideways or even up... these are the only big ones you will be able to land!

Why anyone wants to fish ultralight for big wrasse is beyond me, as they haven't got it in them to fight for very long... nothing like a mullet! Even on heavy gear they still give an arm wrenching scrap, and you will land way more that you hook... but each to their own i suppose!:g: :) :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
ive had no propblem with them biting through line even at 6lb. alot of the places i fish dont have barnacles, and the snags are a little distance awayso its not too much problem.

if any ones down the lizard way and fancies a master class il try and oblige, but like you said each to there own

Anyway, been fishing tonight had one bass at 2.8lb on bubble float and rag

martin

·
Registered
996 Posts
If your staying at Gorran Haven walk out to the right of harbour on the coast path be prepared for a mammouth walk (don't say you haven't been warned!) and there are stacks of great wrasse spots out there

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If your staying at Gorran Haven walk out to the right of harbour on the coast path be prepared for a mammouth walk (don't say you haven't been warned!) and there are stacks of great wrasse spots out there
I know where you mean - I have rucksack and 6 peice travel rod ready to go!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good idea! how long do you need to leave it down?
I put a mackerel in in one of them bags you use in a washing machine tie to centre of drop net check about every 10 -15 minutes done this way on west bay pier had about 150 hardbacks in about 2,1/2 hours beats scrabbling over rocks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts