World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, where to start! I've just got back from a week at the far end of the LLyn peninsula and firstly I have to say what a beautiful part of the World it is.

The week started last Saturday when i was joined by two mates on a beach that screamed bass. Overcast with a good surf on mixed / broken ground we thought our luck was in. It wasn't :rolleyes: Despite there being 6 rods out and a variety of baits, we could tempt a bite no matter what we tried.

Next morning we headed for a more typical West Llyn Rock mark. As we scrambled down to the mark I was thrilled to see a young man had just landed a 23lb tope. It was a joy to see and, with a week to go at it, I knew I'd have to try for one myself. Straight off I banged out a mackerel fillet on a size 8 O'Shaunessy hook with 150lb mono.

After a hour or so with nothing happening, I decided to set up a scratching rod to have some fun with the wrasse and pollack. Stupidly, I took my eye off my rod, thinking the rachet on the reel would tell me if it needed my attention. A few minutes later when I turned around, I had a huge slackline. I picked up the rod and reeled in. I must have bought in 30m of line before I finally reconnected with the 7oz gripper lead and bait. Alas, the fish (and I'm assuming it must have been another tope) had successfully spit it out. I tried several times during the week to go one better but to no avail. As Arnie once said, "I'll be back"! And I was, most days:)

In the meantime, the general fishing wasn't too shabby! I caught lots of Ballan Wrasse to 2.5lb. This one weighed 2lb 4oz

I also caught plenty of doubles, including juvenile Cuckoos:

and males

I caught plenty of Pollack to 2lb. I feel sure there were better fish out there, but I was so busy I didn't really target them properly.

On another mark I landed a nice Three Beard.

At 2lb (well, 1lb 15 and 5/8 oz to be precise) it's a new PB for me. Mrs Wobbler and I had it for supper with a nice asparagus risotto and a bottle of Pinot Grigio :)

Throughout the whole week the mackerel were plentiful. Many were over 1lb in weight:

Towards the end of the week even Mrs Wobbler got in on the act, landing a full house of 5 maccie off only her second ever cast. Great sport on a 200g spinning rod! She also landed pollack and coalie closer in :)

Last night I nipped down to the mark one last time and bagged up with 30 mackerel in just over 2 hours. They're now safely in the freezer ready for another crack at the tope some time soon.

And that was it. A thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyable break. I can't wait to get back.

·
Registered
10,754 Posts
Good stuff. :clap3:

Should be a good period for tope down that way over the next few weeks as the water reaches its warmest level of the year.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the T-Bar for size indication only or have you mastered it now :) :punk:
Hi Geth. Mastered it, just like you taught me (although I must admit I didn't realise when I bought it that it was for getting those hard to reach bogey's out of your nose while waiting for the skipper to put you on the fish :whistling)

·
Registered
980 Posts
good report and pictures
like the colours on those wrasse, they are a good fighting fish on light tackle,
good fishing well done

·
Registered
785 Posts
nice report from one of my favorite areas.

some good fishing and some nice piccies too ! :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Great report, sod's law on the Tope mate...tried many times to hook one form the shore/rocks but never had any luck.
many thanks for the report and pictures.

Regards.

Eddie.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well done Wobbler, a good week enjoyed by all it seems. Great report and pics, thanks. Wow, a mrs that likes fishing. Lucky git.
Regards Steve.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
Great report and some fantastic fishing :clap:.

Unlucky about the tope but better luck next time, I'm sure that you'll get one now you've located a suitable mark :thumbs:.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great report and some fantastic fishing :clap:.

Unlucky about the tope but better luck next time, I'm sure that you'll get one now you've located a suitable mark :thumbs:.
Thanks Andy (and thanks to everyone else who took the time to comment. Happy to share more info on the marks with regular posters by PM BTW.

Rgds

Kev

1 - 20 of 22 Posts