World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After catching an un-targeted wrasse a few weeks ago I thought it high time I went out on a wrasse session.

After gleaming as much as I could from YouTube (big shout out to The Constant Angler and Cornish shore and kayak fisherman) I set about it on the Roseland.

The first mark was a rocky kelpy outcrop that juts out at the end of a beach. I was joined by the ever present seals, four this time, who were happy watching from a distance.

A Texas rigged 3" soft plastic worm on a 1/0 hook produced two small wrasse.

Fish Asphalt Marine biology Road surface Ray-finned fish

Road surface Asphalt Underwater Fish Marine biology

On went a 4" worm with a 2/0 hook and soon produced these likely lads. Two of which were just shy of 50cm. No idea where that puts them in the wrasse world but they currently stand as the biggest I've caught.

Asphalt Road surface Fish Underwater Marine biology

Fish Marine biology Fin Ray-finned fish Tail

Organism Fish Underwater Ray-finned fish Tail

Road surface Asphalt Fish Tail Tar

All these fish were taken on dark watermelon green or dark blue flecked worms, they had no interest in lurid pink or acid green.

Off to the next mark I went, which is round the corner and down the other side of a large gully. This is where battle commenced. Bite bite miss, bite bite miss, bite bite miss. I was being completely outfoxed.

Eventually three more wrasse were landed, one lost at my feet and numerous missed.

Fish Water Seafood Twig Marine biology

Organism Fish Grass Tail Ray-finned fish

Marine biology Fish Tail Ray-finned fish Fish products

All in all a grand day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Today I decided to work my way round north of these marks, more with a view to ticking off places I'd seen on Google earth. I started at the second mark I fished yesterday, however as I climbed down I was met by 8 seals. Back up I went further along the coast path and then down again. I was followed by two younger seals who would keep me company for this entire stretch.

The wind, the sea state and water clarity were different than yesterday and I couldn't buy a bite here. I then proceeded to walk the stretch of low tide rocks around to the next beach. My wellie wearing feet wish I hadn't.

I ended up walking all the way round via beaches, rocks and the coast path until I reached Portscatho, fishing the areas I'd highlighted on Google earth and anything I came across. I ended at the coastwatch hut.

The only fish of the day was taken on the rocks just off towan beach.

Water Soil Terrestrial animal Fish Pattern

Nothing stood out as anywhere I'd want to go back to as a low tide mark. Most of the stretch seems to be sloping rocks rather than vertical drops and gullys that I seem to have more luck on.

At this point I was miles away from the car, feet hurting and very nearly giving in to being fleeced for a hot chocolate at the hidden hut.

A non fishing stomp back to the car resulted in the highlight of the day, seeing our local YouTube star 'Cornish shore and kayak fisherman' filming a video. By this point my legs felt like falling off so I didn't pop down to say hello.

As I sit here with sunburn, blistered feet and aching legs after hours of walking I can honestly say there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I will be down on the Roseland in a weeks time. Great fishing. I tend to go every day while I'm there and often see cornish shore and kayak angler. He's a very friendly bloke and drinks in my "local" when I'm down there.

This has really whet the appetite for my trip. I'll be bringing my little boat and as well as some wrasse, I also want to get some of those squid that he often catches.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I might as well drop my catch reports here rather than spamming the forum up with my wrassing.

Today's session took me straight from a nightshift down to St Anthony's lighthouse. I've fished here a few times and just don't seem to get on with it. I just can't get to grips with the ground. No idea why I return, but it's one hell of a setting.

Cloud Water Sky Water resources Lighthouse

Anyway, one small wrasse and some tackle loss later I'd had enough and moved round in attempt to secure one of my favourite spots. Now, I'm used to fishing with a couple of juvenile inquisitive seals for company, but when the whole tribe made their way around the corner just after I finished clambering down, I admitted defeat.

Water Water resources Sky Natural landscape Coastal and oceanic landforms

On to the next accessable area and I was away with some enjoyable fishing, resulting in these four small wrasse and a camera shy lump who unhooked himself at my feet.

Fish Fin Marine biology Tail Ray-finned fish

Vertebrate Fin Organism Fish Marine biology

Insect Reptile Arthropod Marine invertebrates Decapoda

Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology Tail

As the tide dropped and I snagged a few more times I called it a day and made my way home via the tackle shop in Newquay to stock up on the drilled bullets I'd lost.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
After catching an un-targeted wrasse a few weeks ago I thought it high time I went out on a wrasse session.

After gleaming as much as I could from YouTube (big shout out to The Constant Angler and Cornish shore and kayak fisherman) I set about it on the Roseland.

The first mark was a rocky kelpy outcrop that juts out at the end of a beach. I was joined by the ever present seals, four this time, who were happy watching from a distance.

A Texas rigged 3" soft plastic worm on a 1/0 hook produced two small wrasse.

View attachment 1374067

View attachment 1374068

On went a 4" worm with a 2/0 hook and soon produced these likely lads. Two of which were just shy of 50cm. No idea where that puts them in the wrasse world but they currently stand as the biggest I've caught.

View attachment 1374069

View attachment 1374070

View attachment 1374071

View attachment 1374072

All these fish were taken on dark watermelon green or dark blue flecked worms, they had no interest in lurid pink or acid green.

Off to the next mark I went, which is round the corner and down the other side of a large gully. This is where battle commenced. Bite bite miss, bite bite miss, bite bite miss. I was being completely outfoxed.

Eventually three more wrasse were landed, one lost at my feet and numerous missed.

View attachment 1374073

View attachment 1374074

View attachment 1374075

All in all a grand day.
Hi m8 .some lovely wrasse one of my fave fish to catch.Im not too good on artificials yet ...just learning cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts