World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm looking to try to catch a decent wrasse and wondered where would be a good wrasse mark. Areas I can reach go from Stranrar (sp) to the Clyde to Fife and North Berwick.

Any help would be appreciated.
Blenny

·
Registered
347 Posts
From the point round to the marine station on Millport.
Ardwell back bay south of Stranraer
Mull Head Mull of Galloway
Gamble Steps
Even seen a couple of nice ones coming close in at the rocky part of customs house.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers gents

Quite fancy a crack at the wrasse. Need to get one soon as my four year old has caught a small one on holiday. Won't let me forget it either - I only managed a small eel and a hanful of mackerel.

Blenny

·
Registered
347 Posts
The two methods I would use are float fishing. this can be very frustrating as they are superb bait robbers. Or fishing 2 or 3 hooks on the bottom using a light rod and holding it all the time also a very light weight tied on with a weak link. Be prepared to lose lots of tackle fishing this way. For bait small rag or lug baits but put on the hook very neatly, any bits hanging off gives them all they need to rip it off the hook.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've had plenty of wrasse from the Dunbar to St. Abbs area. Nearly all taken on artificial crayfish. Just slide a small bullet onto the line, tie on a hook and away you go.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all

Think I will try the Fife coast this Sunday. Pittenweem and perhaps Anstruther or Crail. If anyone's out that way on Sunday might see you. Tight lines!

;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Richy

Thanks for the info. Are these marks all rocky / dangerous? Want to take my son. Was going to try Pittenweem or Anstruther harbour but don't know if either hold water at low tide. Heading out on Sunday - probably start around noon (by the time I get there). Will take rag and mackerel. If you know of a mark that fishes well or is fishable at all states of tide it would be appreciated.

Thanks again
Blenny

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
High tide at Pittenweem is 11.44 on sunday morning,but it's a very small tide this weekend so there will be water all day.Most folk make the mistake of fishing off the very end straight out,but you're better going over the back right beside the lifebelt for bigger wrasse.Face the May Island and cast out 50 to 70 yards at about a 2 o clock angle to get the best ground.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Codhead Bob

Will try that then and post a reply on monday - hopefully with a pic or two!
I think even I can manage 50-70 yards. Might try a float with rag/mackerel at different depths.

Here's hoping.
Blenny

·
Registered
859 Posts
Blenny said:
Hi

I'm looking to try to catch a decent wrasse and wondered where would be a good wrasse mark. Areas I can reach go from Stranrar (sp) to the Clyde to Fife and North Berwick.

Any help would be appreciated.
Blenny
i love fishing down at greenock just across from the fire station theres loads a fun to be had was there 2weeks back and caught 4 mackrel 2 pollock cpl of coalies and a lovely wrasse at 2lb3oz all on float and i put them all back to fight another day its a great wee spot have spoken to a few of the local boys that fish there and the say its good fo congers and duggies so maybe one day i will catch one of them happy fishin

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well…

We went to Elie first on our tour of Fife. Fished off the lighthouse looking for mackerel to stock up the freezer. Tides yesterday weren't good. Nothing doing. However my son had more luck with float fished rag just off the rocks. Three small pollack in about half an hour. It's amazing the fight of even a small fish on a childs 4' rod :D

Next stop Pittenweem and used my inside info to go for wrasse (thanks Codhead Bob). As the tide wasn't a big one you could still see the ledges about 50 yards out so fished inside these. Got bites instantly and after 5 mins pulled up a nice Ballan Wrasse. Deep reds and a beauty. Cameron loved it - it was on his rod! Had loads of bites but just couldn't bring another one through the kelp!

Last stop Anstruther. Fished off the end of the right hand harbour wall. Again not alot of water around but managed to catch another small pollack. Had loads of bites but were taken instantly under the ledges / into the weed. Lost two floats as a result!

Never fished these marks before but learnt something about each.

All in all a good day out and will certainly be going back for some of those wrasse. Maybe on a larger tide though!

Blenny

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Nice 1 m8 glad you an ur young un had a good day :D its great when the fish are biteing, keeps the kids intrest up :D

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your day out mate.

It's a wee bit unfortunate that you had such rotten tides but at least if you try the venues again you'll have an idea where the snags are.If you enjoy float fishing you could have a look at this website where amongst other things you can make floats that carry a 5 or 6 ounce sinker and are free to make.Hopefully it'll work okay,I just finished it today.

http://codheadbob.tripod.com/

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THE NUTS! :eek:
Website is great mate. I will knock up a float this week I think. Did you paint that bottle? Looks great. I feel a competition coming on to catch a decent fish with the most bizarre float possible - just to show those who insist on the latest gear that technology isn't everything.

Well done. Did you make the site yourself? If so, what software did you use?

Cheers
Blenny

PS Signed the guestbook. ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
try cellardyke harbour its safe for the bairns at the end of the peir try casting out at an angle just look where the scars come out at an angle. dont cast over them the end of the peir is better plenty of kelp.take plenty of peelers or spiders crabs also theres a chance for a cod.cheers andy

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
hi there dont know about wrasse in the uk, only what ive seen on fishing on the edge.theres 14 species of wrasse in mallorcas waters but it is as if there stunted ,maybe 14cm is it over fished or what

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Website is great mate. I will knock up a float this week I think. Did you paint that bottle? Looks great. I feel a competition coming on to catch a decent fish with the most bizarre float possible - just to show those who insist on the latest gear that technology isn't everything.

Well done. Did you make the site yourself? If so, what software did you use?
I believe that particular float is "pineapple" Blenny,just as it comes.The software is just Tripod's site builder at Lycos.You get a free 20Mb site from them if you don't mind the ads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts