World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi...could any body help me im new to shore fishing im in the shetland isles..whats the best rigs and baits for wrasse from the shore and also from a boat..

·
Registered
409 Posts
rag float fished with a light spinning rod is always a laugh, or for the bigger ones crab hardback or peeler on a single hook with a rotten light link

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can you please tell me what a rotten light link is? I'm new to this game and would appreciate any info.
Cheers.

With regard to the float length, I would guess it depends on the mark!? :confused:

·
Registered
225 Posts
My favourite method for catching ballans is by freelining. Its as simple as tying a hook on to your mainline and then placing 3-4 splitshots about 8" above the hook. Best baits are rag or the claw of a peeler. The problem with using a whole peeler for ballans is the fact that it gets ripped apart by the smaller fish even when wrapped with bait elastic, wheras the peeled claw picks up the bigger fish of 3lb plus.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi Blenny, a rotten light link is simply a piece of line which is lighter than your mainline which is attached to the weight link on your rig. For example say you had 18lb mainline you would use a weaklink of around 10lbs. It is a very useful method for fishing rough ground. Say you have a fish on and it dives for cover snagging the weight in a crevice. Under normal circumstances if you pulled for a break you'd be likely to lose the rig, fish and all, however with the weaklink there is a strong possibility you will get the rig with the fish still on but minus the weight. Well thats the theory anyway :p

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks. You learn a new thing everyday. Or in my case about three! :)

There are a couple of marks where that might be a good solution to me losing tackle. Might try to get away early for a bit of bassing later today. :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
No problem m8, glad to help:)

Btw did you get out fishing today?

·
Registered
423 Posts
As it happend I did. Off to the power station in Culross. The weather was bad, windy and very wet and as i'd just come from lecturing I wasn't in the best clothing for it. Fished just as the tide peaked and caught nowt (bar a cold) :confused:

Water was rough but I thought this might be good for the bass coming in to root about!? Tried a couple of lures but to no effect!

Am I doing anything wrong? I hear this area fishes best as the tide just starts to turn back in. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi Blenny, I can't say I know the area. It could be that the warm water outflow at the station had been switched off and that could account for the lack of bass. It might be worth trying bait next time. I do know that quite a few bass are caught from Torness to spinners and even on the fly.

Lecturing.......thank god there will be no more of that for a few months, had my last exam at uni yesterday!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts