World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out I am trying find a mark up here on the East Coast of Scotland where I can catch the odd Wrasse ?
Having never caught one I would like to add them to my species list !
It`s just for catch and release, I hear they are not too hard to catch but I can`t even locate them never mind catch them !

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Can anyone help me out I am trying find a mark up here on the East Coast of Scotland where I can catch the odd Wrasse ?
Having never caught one I would like to add them to my species list !
It`s just for catch and release, I hear they are not too hard to catch but I can`t even locate them never mind catch them !

im gonna put up a wee post caught my first wrasse, at your area arbroath.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wrasse can be caught very close to shore right up the east coast. Try using peeler crab and fish close in to the rocks and gullies around the fife coast line. or up along the rough ground marks further north.
Wrasse will hit your bait at lightning speed before diving back into the cover of the weeds and rocks, so don't leave your rod un-attended for too long.
It would pay to use stronger / heavier tackle to get the fish out the snags, try using 30lb mainline and snoods, Wrasse don't seem to mind heavier gear.

Hope you manage to add wrasse to your list.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I dont know your area but wrasse are the same all over the country m8. What you need to look for is deep rocky marks. distance casting isnt needed. Usually it's an underarm cast into the choppy rock marks. Wrasse are nest builders that live close into the shore. They eat crustations. All you need is a three way swivel 20lb mono to size 3 hook. Weak link to your weight " use a round lead " so it bounces around the rocks. Best bait is pealer crap bound on tight to the hook.
Expect to loose alost of tackle m8. If your not loosing tackle your casting in the wrong place :)
p.s. when the fish takes, lift into the fish hard as they dive and break you off on the rocks. So be aggressive with them.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Best bait is pealer crap :blink:

I just use a freelined jobby or a two hook ! :clap3:

No seriously, the wrasse can be a tricky bugger to hook up with. Yes they grab the bait but manys the time my float has dived at least 6 inches under the surface only for me to strike and the fish is nowhere to be seen.

Best baits are rag and peeler CRAB. I would freeline a bait inbetween the rocks or float fishif it's calm. Exciting fishing is had this way.

Good luck - i'm hoping for my first wrasse of the year this weekend.
Blenny

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Ragworm is also a good bait for them.

I use either of the tactics described, float or hard on the bottom.

Good luck

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers lads thanks for all the info, I have a few peelers in the fridge so will give them a go today will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
as blenny says they can be tricky to hook up sometimes and it can get frustrating but well worth it fantastic wee powerhose of a fish

·
Registered
717 Posts
No real need to use valuble peelers, small hard back crabs work just as well for wrasse

Also the better fish often get caught on deep spun sand eel or mackeral strip meant for pollack but crab bait fished on a paternoster would be my first choice

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
hello Bob,
i tried fishing at Arbroath yesterday, fished deepish water and also kelp areas.
caught 2 nice Ballan Wrasse, 2lb 10oz , and 1lb 8 oz , caught both on Ragworm
rigs i tired was running ledgers on mainline, swivel then 4ft clear mono amnesia line too size 4/0 hook. i lipped hooked both the wrasse and they took the size 4/0 with no problems,

andy.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fished Arbroath yesterday at Seaton cliffs near the blow hole no luck with Wrasse I`m afaid although I did catch small codling just under the 2lb mark which I returned, I am trying to post a pucture.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts