World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a choice of venues and splendid weather, Keith and I made the trip to Samphire Hoe yesterday. With only a mild breeze and the sea like a millpond I was surprised the venue was nearly empty, but hearing the hardy souls already there had been catching we schlepped to the Dover end to set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On previous visits, rag was the successful bait, with lug untouched. A total fail in managing to get any meant juicy lug was the offering, and the wrasse were as eager as ever to throw themselves on the hooks.
As the tide dropped we could see how scoured the rocks are compared to the heavy weed growth last summer. Not sure if this is good (less snags) or bad (less hidey places for the fish)
A great day out, with Keith managing to upset a whole flock of twitchers by wanting to walk on the path and scaring away the subject of their fascination

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Nice report and pics DL........I keep saying I'll give samphire a go......but it means crossing that bridge thingy.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice report and pics DL........I keep saying I'll give samphire a go......but it means crossing that bridge thingy.
It's worth crossing over, such a nice venue and good variety of fish. The wrasse are great scrappers. Avoiding the snags is the main secret to having a good day rather than losing all your gear, the parking is £2 and £4 for the fishing ticket, no rod limit, decent loos and spectacular views.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Cheers for the post j9 I will be hitting the hoe again this summer with my rottom button spark plug set to try and avoid those snags

Lee

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good news, I went a couple of weeks back with the light gear down the wall and sadly blanked. Looking forward to getting down with the nipper and catching something visually more interesting.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the post j9 I will be hitting the hoe again this summer with my rottom button spark plug set to try and avoid those snags

Lee
I'm thinking that might be a good idea for a set up, as well as tying a longer length to the weight (or sparkplug, nuts etc) and shorter snoods to the hooks so they don't get snagged in the weed so easily. What I also found last year is that sometimes what seem like hopeless snags are actually when a wrasse or blenny has jammed itself in a crevice so you can bounce them out by winding tight and suddenly letting loose, wait, repeat, with the line suddenly coming free with a nice fish on the hook for your trouble. Thinner hooks that will give instead of staying firmly embedded in the weed also worked well, so I think I'll try deconstructing some hokkai and retying with finer wire hooks....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good news, I went a couple of weeks back with the light gear down the wall and sadly blanked. Looking forward to getting down with the nipper and catching something visually more interesting.
I was surprised we caught on lug this time, as last summer it was 90% ignored in favour of sections of rag

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I was surprised we caught on lug this time, as last summer it was 90% ignored in favour of sections of rag
I found the same thing last year pieces of rag caught nearly ever cast but the lug seemed useless and may as well been thrown in the sea as ground bait

Lee

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Well done J9 and well done Keith
If the opportunity presents it's self I will try to get there for the 29th of June, unless of course the meet is canceled for whatever reason.

Rob

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I've got a feeling Keith might before I do, he's a fish-magnet!
In my dreams!:fish::fish:

A great report thanks J9, you caught a fair number of fish as well so don't be so modest!

I reverted to Fixed Spool reels for the day which made short casting a lot easier, retrieve was a lot faster and tackle losses were minimal

Worthy of comment is the fact that neither of us caught a ting or tinglet.
We got pollock instead at about 12" long!

I still don't know how to travel light!

DL1.jpg DL2.jpg DSC03377.jpg DSC03381.jpg DSC03382.jpg

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I started out using spark plugs on one rod but they were a bit underweight, allowed the trace to move about a bit too much and being too light I couldnt tighten down enough to see the bites. A change to 3oz of plain lead sorted everything.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I started out using spark plugs on one rod but they were a bit underweight, allowed the trace to move about a bit too much and being too light I couldnt tighten down enough to see the bites. A change to 3oz of plain lead sorted everything.
Try free lining a worm Keith you may be supprised

1 - 20 of 25 Posts