World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Could anyone tell me the best baits and tactics for thornback wray and the size/weight to be expected from the shore on the east coast.</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
<font color='#000000'>the thornbacks that come out from the holderness coast
average around 4-5lb but i have seen them to 14lb.
my best is just over 8lb

methods are sandell wrapped in squid or peeler crab bait on a up and over rig with size 2/0-3/0 pennel rigs

casting anywere between 50 -120 yds

heres the bad news
the main run of fish is april/may then they just dissapear
when they arrive you have to make the most of them as they wont hang around long, this year they only stayed for a little over a week then we had some rough seas and havent seen them since.

night fishing for them is best by far
allthough u can catch during the day as long as the water is coloured and flat calm

if u need more info mail me

[email protected]
macky
</font>

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>Hi Macky
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; I would love to catch a wray like the one in your picture i assumed you caught it from a east coast beach which one.

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; THANKS</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
<font color='#000000'>that fish was caught from a linconshire beach
but i have had plenty from the holderness/east yorkshire coast
like this - un

caught from ...near mapplton (hornsea)</font>

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font color='#000000'>Hi Macky
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Have you ever caught or heard of anyone catching wrays from barmston and fraisthorpe beaches.

Also has anyone been catching on barmston and fraisthorpe beaches lately.

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Thanks helpimafish</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
<font color='#000000'>barmston and fraisthorpe are very shallow and ray like a bit of depth over there backs skipsea often throws up a few ray on calm nights and big tides

beaches south of hornsea have more chance of rays

sea must be as flat as possible to even stand a chance of a thorny from these beaches

nothin much lately, to many crabs around stripping hooks
odd flatties and eels

as i said the peak time is april/may and they seem to dissapear
shortly after

our thorny season lasted a little over a week this year
bad weather
macky
&nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the info Macky
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;But is their any bass in the barmston area or will their be some in the next month.
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Thanks helpimafish</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
<font color='#000000'>up until the storm there was bass every were

barmston,skipsea,ulrome,fraisthorpe are all good bass marks
fishes best when there is a south easterly chop on the sea

should be plenty of scoolies to go at

please return these fish to protect our future stocks
by all means take one for the pot but please dont slaughter all u catch as i have seen done in the passed

dont cast to far though 20-50 yds all ya need

</font>

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font color='#000000'>Macky
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; is there any particular bait and rig to use and will the &nbsp;bass come back inshore if the weather is settled.

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Thanks helpimafish</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
<font color='#000000'>for the ray

up and over rigs or pulley rigs with pennels
2/0 - 3/0 ooks
sandeel,squid,crab

bass
any rig aslong as its in the surf
worm,crab

not sure on the bass they aint never dissapeared like this before

macky</font>

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the info macky
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Im gonna try barmston beach on friday just hope i can catch a fish.
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; THANKS HELPIMAFISH</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts